No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an FYI since I see you already have the subframe and steering rack installed, but dropping the S54 in with the subframe installed is pretty much impossible. I just dropped my S54 into my 318is this weekend and learned a few things. The Arc Asylum oil pan is enlarged on the drivers side and it interferes with the subframe on that side. I ended up having to drop the subframe to get the engine positioned. Then bolt up the trans brace to get the engine at the correct angle while it was hanging from the engine hoist, then bolt the subframe back up with all the mounts loose to allow some slop. Once everything was aligned I snugged it all up. Now I understand why some people install the engine from the bottom. I'd still probably recommend installing from the top and bolting up the subframe though. Once I knew what to do it wasn't all that bad.

As for the brake booster, I'm not sure about that, but I'd be very interested to find out. I have a 2002 booster that I was planning to use, but I still need to modify it. If the e90 one can work that would be a great alternative though. What about the E60 master, would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
      Just an FYI since I see you already have the subframe and steering rack installed, but dropping the S54 in with the subframe installed is pretty much impossible. I just dropped my S54 into my 318is this weekend and learned a few things. The Arc Asylum oil pan is enlarged on the drivers side and it interferes with the subframe on that side. I ended up having to drop the subframe to get the engine positioned. Then bolt up the trans brace to get the engine at the correct angle while it was hanging from the engine hoist, then bolt the subframe back up with all the mounts loose to allow some slop. Once everything was aligned I snugged it all up. Now I understand why some people install the engine from the bottom. I'd still probably recommend installing from the top and bolting up the subframe though. Once I knew what to do it wasn't all that bad.

As for the brake booster, I'm not sure about that, but I'd be very interested to find out. I have a 2002 booster that I was planning to use, but I still need to modify it. If the e90 one can work that would be a great alternative though. What about the E60 master, would that work?
      Thanks, I think I will install from the bottom, but its really easy to drop the subframe all connected once its altogether (minus the brakes). I need it connected, I am going to tow it to a shop with a lift to complete the rest of the build.

I tried the E60 booster its the same exact size as the E83 booster, in fact, it looks exactly the same minus having a flat reservoir vs a slanted one.
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Got what seemed like not much work done even though it took half the day.

Getting the steering guibo off is a pain. I cut through it with my angle grinder then drilled them out. I used some grade 8 M6 bolts to put in a new OEM guibo. I thought about going for a poly or solid, but decided I wanted the the OEM feel.

I have an airbag car (well I used to have one till I removed it) so I had to adjust the firewall for the new ZHP E46 rack I put in.

As you can see it if you dont adjust it touches the firewall and cant line up correctly.

I cut a little at the bottom left (right if you are inside the car), and I cut the plate too. I used silicon adhesive to get the boot to stay on nicely. I didnt make a new plate like others have, I dont have that kind of skills lol. It stays in nicely with the silicon so it should be fine.

I also got the tierods on, so YAY I can turn the wheels again. Thats all for tonight, tomorrow I will get the brakes and wheels back on and start buttoning up the rest of the little stuff. Need to finish the inside part of the A/C R134 conversion and a couple of other odds and ends before its time to get the engine in!!

Comment

Yeah wish Garagistic or someone made an adapter plate and template for the rack swaps.. mine ended up looking similar.. agree on retaining the OEM steeering giubo
          Last edited by bradnic; 11-21-2018, 07:17 PM.
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I did the same thing as you- it's been holding up fine! I made an adapter plate out of some steel sheet but didn't end up using it.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Did some more today. Although I ran into a problem and I am not sure what I did wrong. put the rest of the suspension in, tightened up the control arms and tie rod nuts, and put the rotors and brakes back on. The only issue is the rotor is basically touching the tie rod rubber. This wasnt like that before I put the E46 rack and E36 tie rods on. E30 tie rods dont work, maybe it will shift under load but it doesnt seem like it.

Dont mind the rusted rotors they got wet this winter when they sat out side.

Threw a new heat shield in, actually, I have all brand new heat shields for the entire car.

This is what the face looked like this morning. Took the valence off to give it a good paint. It looks pretty good even from 5 feet away lol. It will be covered by the Mtech II bumper down the road, just wanted it to look presentable for now.

She has a face again!

Dont mind the mess.

Comment

While I am waiting on the tie rod situation I started working on a few other things. Finished the wiring for the HID's I put in last night. I am using Morimoto Minit Stage III bi-xenon projectors with squared adapters inside Depos (thankful got them before he disappeared). I was going to use OEM lights but since I was taking them apart to put in the new projectors I didn't want to spend that money.

Moving on replaced the cowl grates. I was going to paint them instead of replacing them but the plastic was so brittle they were going to crack up eventually, so new ones it is. Looks so much better. Although definitely think there was a mouse in the driver's side one. Took me a while to clean that all out and Lysol the hell out of it.

Next continuing onto to my R134 conversion, I can only do the inside of the car for now since the compressor is on the engine and I need to have new AC lines made to the S54 compressor.

That being said the BMW engineers are sadistic, the last screw to get the cover the regulator is in the back behind the firewall and its really hard to get too. Tip for anyone doing this job, remove the two A/C lines first. BTW, put some towels and stuff down, there were some remnants of the freon dye that drips out.

The evaporator was pretty dirty, I probably could have cleaned it but I bought a new one and put it in.

New evaporator and regulator in.

All back in, I had to buy new foam since the old one was a mess. Forgot to take a pic of that.

Last thing for the day I replaced the heater core. The valve was recently replaced it looked pretty new, the core looked to be original. Wasn't sure it was bad or not but I figured why not. This is another one where the last screw is so hard to get to, it's up at the top and it's almost impossible to fit anything but the smallest crescent wrench on it.

Here is another area where you need some towels and a small bowl to catch the excess antifreeze. There is still some left in the core as well as a little bit in the lines.

New one going in.

While my hands are all beat up, I feel accomplished today, last few things need to be buttoned up and then she heads over in a few weeks for the engine drop!

Comment

She is pretty much ready for the engine. Once that is done I will tow it over and get to work on putting it in. Performance Eurowerks is helping me drop it in, they are completing all the hoses and wiring as well as programming out the EWS and tuning it for the set up I have. I am not going Alpha N, going to use the stock MAF as well as the stock airbox.

The booster is in for now. We will see if it fits with the manifold, there may be some slight adjustment and trimming but I am ok with that, I would rather have the better brake feel.

All I need to do right now is get the hood back on and wash him up before he goes over to the shop.

Oh, I bought some new tips for the E36 M3 Exhaust as well, I wanted brushed tips that had a little less slant to them. Got them from 42 Draft Designs.

Comment

Lookin' good! Can't wait to hear this bad boy when all is said and done!

Comment

Prepped for a little painting tonight. I decided to go back to the OEM black on the bottom for a few reasons. The PO painted it white, the white didnt match, and it was starting to fade through anyway.

Second reason is there was light surface rust, I sanded that off, looked fine underneath so I need to repaint.

Next year the whole car is getting blasted and repainted and the MTech II kit will be added so I am not too worried how it comes out, just want it better then it is now, doesn't have to be perfect.

Its late so I will paint it tomorrow after work.

Im also going to paint the E36 M3 exhaust that I am using. Just a low gloss black to make it look new again next to the new tips.

Comment

Would you mind sharing what paint you will be using for the rockers? I need to tackle this as well. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                          Would you mind sharing what paint you will be using for the rockers? I need to tackle this as well. Thanks in advance.
                          I am using Wurth Flexible Trim Paint

I used it on my front lip, its not textured but looks pretty oem.

Comment

Finished the exhaust and the rockers. I think it came out pretty good, definitely looks a lot better then the half faded white that didn't match.

E36 M3 Exhaust

Rockers first coat

Final Product

If it stops raining I will wash and maybe detail the outside. Putting the hood on tomorrow, then on Friday its off to the shop to work on putting in the S54. Getting close!

Comment

Rockers came out great! I need to do this to mine. Hopefully you just got me motivated to finish mine
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Rockers came out great! I need to do this to mine. Hopefully you just got me motivated to finish mine
                                Thanks! I want the car to feel at least presentable until I get the repaint. Especially after the engine is in.

Comment

Working...
                                X