91 318is Field Rat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blake B View Post
    looking forward to hearing how that 22mm bar changes things.

It needs installed bad. That and some harness setup because I'm all over the place trying to stay put in the seat. Unfortunately I just moved into a new house last Friday, so my garage isn't quite as functional as I'm used to.

Comment

So we had another autocross back in November, yet somehow I forgot to update the thread with info and pics. I finished 16th overall out of 48 which is pretty damn good for me considering the field of amazing drivers and cars I'm up against. Still need to get some front swaybar action or just stiffer springs, but at this point the car is about to be retired from autocross duty. At least it won't be going as often as it has.

What I'm trying to say is the e21 I picked up last year has been getting the old m42/trans from this scuzzlebutt 318is installed in it. I've fully gutted it, and will be running in XP all 2019 season if things go well. 2020 may be allowing like motor swaps, so it could potentially be a DP car with a weight penalty. It's also getting built for the GRM 2019 Challenge, so it's all on a super tight budget. I'll start a thread here in a little while to catch everyone up. Oh, I also bought a 63 Baja for the next Gambler 500 near me in the Ozarks and possibly one in Kansas.

45364128_2402689799747209_1897498890467278848_o by hatchethairy, on Flickr

45348690_2402688546414001_5801363307692556288_o by hatchethairy, on Flickr

45544759_2402686819747507_100390870519382016_o by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Comment

Looking forward to following the GRM 2019 build!

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          Looking forward to following the GRM 2019 build!

Got it all posted way quicker than I thought possible. Here's a link.

83 320is GRM Challenge/XP build

Comment

I gotta say thank you for this particular post. I recently had an autocross test and tune session, lots of seat time. First half of the day was one direction, second half reverse course. During afternoon course my car stuttered and the check engine light came on. Got home and had a tough time running the stomp test. After about 15 tries finally got P1216 for TPS sensor. Replaced the throttle body with a spare I had, but same issue. P1216 again. Searched R3V and found this post, then inspected my TPS connector. One wire broken, just like yours.

I tried de-pinning the plug so I could repair it, but couldnt get the pins to release from the connector. Ended up buying a generic connector and spliced it in.

Originally posted by captain awesome View Post
            Today was test/tune day for autocross, so it was loosely organized to get as much seat time as possible. The first half of the day had two split short courses and you could chose to run whichever one as many times possible in the allotted 45 minutes. I didn't shut the ignition off until our full session was over. Well over 20 runs betwix the two were had and the 4.44 LSD has transformed the car. I'm now fighting some oversteer, but until I put the new tires on, camber plates, and a good alignment I'm not touching anything. I was hitting the rev limiter in one straight, but right at the tail end of it. Time wise I did well compared to my competition with far more tire and power.

The second half was the split courses connected and some of it flipped backwards. I was 2 seconds off my nearest competitor, but I scrubbed too much speed in a couple areas I need to work on. We only ran 6 total but all in all I felt more confident in the car. Unfortunately as I was finished up the 5th my check engine light came on. After throttle was open past idle it ran fine, but sputtered at idle and if the throttle was stabbed it would surge. 6th run it stayed on and the symptoms remained. When moving the TPS harness at the plug the idle would change as if it was a bad connection.

I got the car home easily as any throttle above idle appeared to be normal, and only at lights would I have to apply some throttle to ease idle surge. Google told me to do the stomp test and no matter how I did the test it wouldn't trip the light flash. It seemed obvious at this point the TPS was suspect, so I removed the one on the car. Looks brand new, so I swapped it with a used one on the field motor just to see if it would make a difference. Same. No light flash after 5 pedal stomps. At this point I decided to check the harness. Stripping back the rubber boot shows a broken wire on the #2 pin. BINGO! I stripped the wire casing back a little and jammed it tight against the pin. Stomp test code shows up now and it's a 1216.

I've got a spare motor harness, so I'll just wire in a different plug after checking to make sure it's not tearing at the crimp like this one. Anyone know how to just replace the pin on the plug?

Comment

Working...
            X