Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Is this the project car that 0-60 freak has been waiting for?
    Haha... let's just say I'm in close Communications with Jordan :-) to be determined

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Current Cars:
    2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
    2017 FERRARI 488GTB
    2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
    1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
    1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
    1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
    1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
    2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
    CLEAN E30'S
    S54 DRIVETRAIN
    E30 DASH
    E30 PARTS

Comment

so glad to see this build posted!
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Is going to be pretty much the same as the other one just white?
        Initial plans would put that as a solid no. I plan to make this one as-factory-equipped outside, with a full respray in Alpine White 3, all new black trim, and euro bumper trim. Wheels will be basketweaves of some sort, 16's or 17's likely. Beyond that I haven't ironed out or decided anything for certain.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
        To me, this embodies the same resilience that's uplifted Houston during & since Harvey.

When it's done, this going to be an epic testament to Houston strong. Assuming you yourself & your tools stayed dry?
        I think its pretty cool to take a car otherwise destined to become a nasty smelling moldy turd in a junk yard, and make it fresh and clean. My place, cars and tools were unbothered by Harvey, although I was stuck in my neighborhood for a few days due to high water.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Is this the project car that 0-60 freak has been waiting for?
        He seems to think so, although when he came to look at it he said nooooooooooooo thanks. Who knows.

I've got the car on a lift at the shop (work) where I'm going to do the bulk of the dirty tear down stuff. I just redid my garage at the house and I want to keep it clean for the time being, I'll bring the car home after the body/paint is done.

Tomorrows agenda includes pulling the dash, chassis wiring harness, engine, transmission, and a evaluation of the front valance/radiator support to see if they can be corrected (bent from minor impact) or will just be replaced with new. The bodyshop next door to the shop isn't quite ready to take the car in so I'll leave the glass in place for now.
        Last edited by Jordan; 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Does it have a branded title? Technically it should but if it wasn't reported it would stay clear.
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
            Does it have a branded title? Technically it should but if it wasn't reported it would stay clear.

Dosen'tmatter (one of the few flood cars this applies to) because when he is done, it will be better than new.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

The title is a clear blue Texas title. Title brands, like "Salvage" only come into play when someone calls the insurance company. This car was not insured. I loathe the stigma around "Salvage Title" cars. Its one big undescriptive lump. A fairly mild repair is treated the same as an annihilated car. It can be totaled because someone paid off the adjuster, or if the adjuster is just plain scared of being married to the car fearing more damage than is immediately visible. Regardless it maintains a clear title, and the way its being rebuild renders it kinda a moot point anyway.

As planned I went to the shop today and put 8 hours in. I had a few customers show up to drop and pickup cars so my effective work time was likely closer to 6.5hr but I think I'm happy with the first day on the car.

I started just kinda walking around the car with it at eye height, admiring all the halfassery that tends to come with multiple owner 25 year old cars. This is also my first real look under the car.

Nice ziptie mod on a $10 blanking panel.

Sweet tierod nut, lockwasher, whatever is going on there.

Rear looks OK, both outer axle boots are smoked.

*licks finger and wipes diff tag* Ah yes, hello limited slip.

Subframe bushings are smoked.

Didn't really see much else that mattered, really just normal wear and tear and its all going to be replaced with new anyhow soooooo. We move on.

I grabbed a bucket and opened the oil pan drain. I measured 3.5-4 gallons of water into the bucket before oil started coming out. Impressive.

Once the oil and water were drained from the crank case I grabbed a 22mm socket and my long ratchet and put them on the crank snout. Much to my surprize the engine turned over normally. Nice hissing, compression and milky farting out the exhaust manifold. Should be no problem to save this engine.

Moved on to the transmission, only about a pint of water came out of it before oil. Drain plug magnet has some stories to tell though, not happy to see syncro teeth in there.

Pulled the driveshaft out and took a moment to admire the custom reverse lamp wiring done by some previous owner.

Must have lost the bitch clip, bolt in its place. Double nutted but both nuts easily backed off with fingers. Note the very minor corrosion just forming on the shifter carrier, which is exposed aluminum. Being under water really didn't hurt much except the carpet and other soft parts.

Everyone concerned about the wiring harness, it looks like its going to be just fine. With precious few exceptions everything I took apart was clean and no worse for the water. Here is the C101, clean and corrosion free.

Lets get that greasy little turd ball out of there. You can see the tweaked core support a bit here, I'm going to be replacing it completely. Too many places bent on it, all minor, but that won't fly.

Sitting pretty up on the lift, it was at this point I realized I have euro trim on the rear bumper. In good shape too. Cool, one less thing to buy.

Back to the interior, lets start taking this shit apart. Dash needs to come out, and wiring all needs to be removed.

Hello chassis and engine wiring harnesses.

and bye bye nasty cracked dash

I was really surprised to find all the engine bay fire wall sound deadener is still soft and supple. Usually its hard, brittle and crumbling at this point. Makes me wonder if someone didn't replace it at some point.

Comment

Amazing progress!

Glad it's not as bad as it could have been.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Let dip the body!

Current Cars:
                  2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                  2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                  2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                  1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                  1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                  1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                  1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                  2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                  CLEAN E30'S
                  S54 DRIVETRAIN
                  E30 DASH
                  E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
                    Let dip the body!

It was dipped! Courtesy of Harvey.

....aaannnd subscribed.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I'm really sad. I got to breeze through the last build thread in a night. now i have to wait months to see the finished product.

Jordan, how many cars have you built? Do you ever have a "budget" when doing one of these? where do you draw the line?
                      325IX Build Thread
                      RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                        Should be no problem to save this engine.
                        So, keeping the m42?
                        My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                          So, keeping the m42?

I hope so. M42 is epic and doesn't get the credit it deserves

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            M42 is epic and doesn't get the credit it deserves
                            Epic? i don't know, sounds like you need to get out more.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                              Epic? i don't know, sounds like you need to get out more.

I've driven all sorts of bmw engines and the m42 holds a special place in my heart.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                                Jordan, how many cars have you built? Do you ever have a "budget" when doing one of these? where do you draw the line?
                                I've built 3 E30's like this, this would be #4. No set budget in mind, although this car will be low budget build. Cost in parts/paint on the Imola car was well over $20k, but it was always intended to sell. My labor doesn't cost me anything so its a intangible value.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the M42 is epic, but it does OK and for now the plan is to keep it.
                                Last edited by Jordan; 09-10-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X