No announcement yet.

DIY - e30 Suspension onto e36 Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering I'm picking up my new Bilstein sports on sunday (warranty exchange from autozone;)) this sounds like a stellar start to a budget 5-lug swap. My question is (don't have parts in front of me to compare) will this work w/ standard coil springs? I don't see why not but wanted to double check
    09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
    87 BMW 325is
    a few bicycles

Comment

I'm doing the exact same to mine :)
      ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

hey guys question...im running E30 M3 struts with coilover sleeve setup...Engine S50B30 euro spec, springs up front 550lbs, has anyone swapped over the E36 shock into the E30 M3 strut ?? i know its longer but we can shorten them ...or is there a better alternative shock insert??

Dont mean to Hijack thread just a question ive been thinking about...
        sash
        Signature removed by R3V staff due to a violation of the forum rules

Comment

e30 m3 insert is 17" long and e36 inserts (inside sealed housing) are 16"... So yes you can, if you're thinking Koni.

Comment

etxxz can you please reupload those pictures again? thank you

Comment

Glad to see people still going this route. I did it wayy back 2years ago and passed on the idea to etxxz since i'm lazy and never post pics.

I have had ZERO issues with the setup like this. And it's cool you can still use e30 inserts with the e36 jazz up front.

Comment

^^ huh? i don't recall using anyone's ideas for this... I took what i had learned from shortening struts on the e30 suspension way back in the day and did the same here.

BAD NEWS ON THE PICS.. i have to find them in my old computer and re-upload them.. lol sorry.
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Really?

Comment

got any more or better step-by-step pictures I have 2 wrecked e36's here in front of me.going to remove them before they go to the scraper
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

hahahaha yes i recall now -.- my bad.
                      Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                      got any more or better step-by-step pictures I have 2 wrecked e36's here in front of me.going to remove them before they go to the scraper
                      i have to re-uphost the pictures that don't show. they are a great step-by-step.

edit* i can't find the pic guys sorry. The first pic (parts) gives you a good enough idea of what you have to do. Just knowing it can be done is help enough. If i ever stumble upon the pics again i'll upload them but for now, just do it!
                      Last edited by etxxz; 02-26-2010, 05:54 PM.
                      No more e30s for me.
                      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                      91 BMW 325i [sold]
                      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

just a quick question; if using koni inserts; one wouldnt need to worry much about the welding/transfer of the threaded collar nut section right?

Would one still opt for e30 inserts or are there any benefits to using koni's for the e36m3?
                        Originally posted by FredK
                        However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                        Feedback

Comment

Working...
                        X