NASA
    BMWCCA member
    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
    1997 M3 sedan
    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I just realized the pigtail pictures a few post up did not post. I just corrected it.
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I got my steering wheel spacers. I found out in the ETK there is a smaller ring on the end, towards the firewall that looks smaller. I receive it and sure enough, same diameter but 7mm in length, not 14mm. Its half in size. So instead of having a ~1/2 inch gap from column to steering wheel, it is much closer, about 1/4 now. The switches are closer and will still have to get use to it but if I dont like, it, I have the standard 14mm spacer to swap in.

The smaller one is on the right. Left is the standard one we all get. If I use both 14mm spacers, it brings it back to airbag oem distance but the gap is insanely huge.

Here is picture with no spacer:

Here is the picture with the 7mm ring:

I also fixed my exicter wire issue. I decide to replace the voltage regulator and glad I did, because the brushes were all wasted. I know bet 14.1 instead of 13.6. This still didnt fix my issue on the exciter circuit. I did more research and decided to put the regular bulb back in because the LEDs work at 3v or less. Sure enough, that was it. I know have it working just fine and this is the only bulb I was not able to swap out with an LED.

Here is a picture of the old and new VR. I went with a Bosch new unit and I replaced it with everything still mounted in the car. Very easy job. I have done some in the past on other cars.

Comment

when you cracked open the gauge cluster did you replace any odometer components?

Comment

Originally posted by MCreally? View Post
            when you cracked open the gauge cluster did you replace any odometer components?
            No. The gears were replaced around 8 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Another update. I have some rust pitting on my trunk lid, so I grinded it out, and then treated it with an epoxy primer and then bought a can of factory color in a spray can from paintsratch.com. Then applied 3 coats of clear. Nothing professionally looking but it covers the white keeps it going until I paint my car. But with with leftover product, I decide to primer my tow hook and rear strut bar, which was unfinished. Here are a few pictures.

Primer:

Here is the bar painted with 3 coats of paint and 3 of clear:

Here is it installed. Sound system is a mess because I am changing the configuration:

Comment

^Nice. I miss my 318is. :(

I'll be installing some of those old slash v1 amps here soon in my E53. I have a 500/5 already and am looking for a good 300/4 to go into it. Damn E53 w/DSP has so many speakers to drive...
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

A few more updates.

Here is the tow hook painted and cleared in body color, after the fast etch and primer. Also a picture of it installed. Matches rear strut bar nicely.

With extra paint, I painted the front IS lip spoiler that I have owned new for over 5 years. I also installed the Ryan G splitter that I bought at that time. I also installed new clips to hold the lip plus a tow hook cover.

Here is a picture of it installed. Exterior needs more work, parts and paint.

I also got my 2nd rim, 16x7.5 e28 m5 wheel. It looks like they were going to refinish it as the paint was stripped. 2 more to find and don't want to buy them new.

Comment

My OEM glovebox flashlight was getting worst and worst on light output. I found a DYI for replace the button batteries with a AAA version that home phone uses. This was done in Europe so sourcing US equivalent parts took a week to find but I got it. I opened it up and little by little solder in the new components and boy is it bright. The bulb is yellow but its has a bright white output around 5700K color.

Here is a picture of the insides:

Any one here going to the Vintage in NC? I registered on 1/1 and this will be my first time.

Comment

Getting back to the e30 m3 suspension installation. It's time for the rears. I have rebuilt the used calipers after having them powder coated in gloss black to match the front. Rebuilt with new ATE seals and cleaned up the piston with #0000 steel wool and some CRC brake clean. They were much easier than the fronts. I now have all the main parts to start on the rear. AKG subframe bushings, as well as AKG rear TA bushings. I have new AKG rear show months, Porterfield rs-4 brake pads and new Balo rotors. Will see how the diff is. I do have new seals and fluid for it. Waiting for some new jack stands to do this inside my garage, instead of in the driveway.

Comment

Finally got to install something I have head for a few years in my hoarding days. I had bought a driver side euro mirror that includes the outer wide angle strip for better visibility. Here is a picture of my original one on the left which was basically useless. The new one is on the right with the box above. I believe they can still be purchased for about $40. I think I paid $20 as it was like 5-6 years ago. There is no wide angle for the passenger side. I did also buy a perfect used wide angle mirror with the heating element. I wanted to use it but my car is not pre-wired for it, got to love the base m42 cars. I will be selling it, but need to figure out how much. If interested, let me know.

Comment

Been looking for a couple of those! Where’d you find it?

NM found them on ECS. Let’s see if they really come in
                          Thanks for posting the pic :-)
                          Last edited by bradnic; 01-23-2018, 06:46 AM.
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            Been looking for a couple of those! Where’d you find it?
                            The non heated, dealer. Heated is NLA and got it on here in 2010.

Comment

Gotcha.. that’s why I hadn’t picked it up.. the heated versions were NLA. think I first saw them on one of japandrew’s threads
                              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                                Gotcha.. that’s why I hadn’t picked it up.. the heated versions were NLA. think I first saw them on one of japandrew’s threads
                                I actually bought it from him. Not sure how many he sold. Its in pristine condition. I might keep it for my e28 m5 as it will have the wiring. Or maybe ask $200 for it to pay for other upgrades to e30 and recuperate what I paid. I havent driven it yet and hear you have to get use to it. If I love it, will just keep it.

Comment

Working...
                                X