SLC: 1989 Zinno coupe. Superlight, Super Functional *6spd swap inside*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLC: 1989 Zinno coupe. Superlight, Super Functional *6spd swap inside*

SEE PAGE 20 FOR CURRENT PROGRESS ON M50/6SPD SWAP AND PICTURES THAT ACTUALLY WORK

hey guys, just thought i'd introduce myself and post up some pics of my e30.

i'm from salt lake city, utah and the e30 is a 1989 325i coupe. bought the car for 700 bucks in (barely) running condition and have since stripped the rear seats, headliner, etc etc. car is going to be a completely stripped summer daily that will see track use whenever possible. i haven't taken many good pics of stuff yet but now that i have the thread i'll try a little harder.

night i brought her home:

first night of work:

wing windows:

dash out:

first bit of deleted wiring:

sunroof out:

door harness slimmed (only power windows remain)

front end off for hood/ fender/bumper replacement (light damage to all 3)

interior and harness bare. this shows a good majority of the wiring i deleted (active check control, power locks, power mirrors, power antenna, rear defroster, dome lights, etc)

just ordered all of the supplies to make my own plastic door panels. they'lll be secured with threaded rivets and i'm going to be making porsche GT3 RS style nylon door latch pulls as well as nylon handles to pull the doors closed

i'm going to be ordering an 8 point roll bar from roll cage components at the beginning of february. i'll be stripping sound deadening and bedlining the floor, and at some point in the future i'll be installing pole positions and harnesses.

plans for now are to refresh the m20 with an extensive tuneup and then drive the car like that while i do some suspension stuff. front and rear suspension will both be getting overhauled eventually. bilsteins, H&R springs, condor solid bushings all around, e36 rack, etc etc.

body work/paint is last on the list. will be repainting the outside zinno eventually.
    Last edited by mitchlikesbikes; 12-02-2017, 12:52 AM.

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Looks like you've got a project on your hands
    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
      Looks like you've got a project on your hands

you could say that. hahah

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012

Comment

sub'd

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

small update for today:

i received my new 12 volt plug today (i'm mounting one in the dash or HVAC panel to make it even easier to lose my center console)

it uses 1/4" spade connectors just like the original so i can retain the stock wiring for it. only $5 on ebay so hopefully it works well.

today i also ordered my new amp for my stereo. it is a pyle 2 channel unit. basically this amp is palm sized and will power the 2 speakers in the front that i am keeping (back speakers are staying out). the amp has a direct aux port so i won't even need a head unit for this setup. the amp will be hidden in the glove box so i don't have to worry about a bulky head unit taking up space in the dash or attracting thieves that are still dumb enough to steal stereo decks. these amps are also less than $20 on ebay. reviews of quality are mixed but at this price i can run through 4 of them before i hit the same price as a decent head unit.

should be receiving all of my door panel stuff this week so i can tentatively get started on that. wiring is very close to being done as well. i have split braided loom that will be going on soon. just need to weed out a few more wires, finish the harness for my VDO gauges, and then test everything.

oh and my new bumper should be on the way soon too, kinda getting sketched out about how long the guy is taking to respond. anybody have experience with "e30partsguy"? its only been a couple days but i'm really hoping for an update :(

Comment

some progress happening, i got some dry ice today and stripped all the sound deadening. i ran out before i could do the trunk but the whole inside is done.

wiring is 90% done. just need to mock everything up and finish my harnesses for my gauges and radio. and i need to extend the reverse light switch wiring so it can run through the dash area rather than across the floor. once i do this i won't have any wires running across the floor any more.

some pics:

starting things:

another progress on pass side

random front end shot

driver side mostly done. getting to the stuff under the pedals was a huge pain in the ass

pass side done. complete with two rust holes i have to patch :(

between both floors and the rear seat area i filled up more than half of a 5 gallon bucket. weighed probably 15lbs+

Comment

Where in SLC are you at?

Comment

Originally posted by anokES View Post
                Where in SLC are you at?
                i live near 33rd and 7th.

quick update: started wire wheeling the rest of the sound deadening and got started on the seam sealer too. huge pain in the ass here, there's seam sealer for days. so messy. driver side front is almost done though, thinking about doing some stitch welding when i put the roll bar in.

Comment

did some more wire wheeling today, this time on the passenger side. found some rust up near the pinch weld so i decided to just drill the spot welds and cut out a chunk to replace. por15 incoming

Comment

decided to take a break from the annoying and shitty interior prep work today. i yanked my AC and power steering. i was under the impression that i would definitely need a new steering rack but after draining a quart+ of stopleak that the moron PO put in out of the system and cranking the wheel to purge it all out of the rack it actually feels pretty solid and smooth. i plan on upgrading to a z3 or e36 rack at some point anyway but if i can get by on this one for now then i'll definitely be happy. it felt really good to actually focus and finish some stuff up today. when i'm working on the inside my back gets tired and i lose focus really fast.

i reorganized the garage today to help me get through the next steps a little easier.

anyway, on to the pics.

stopleak and fluid were draining for at least a half hour. the stuff is like jelly when it's cold.

this was toward the beginning of the draining

bare radiator with AC gone. need to figure out what i'm gonna do for an electric fan now.

power steering pump and banjo bolts out

AC tank thing. anyone know what this even does? i'm assuming since i deleted AC i probably don't need it.

Ac condenser out. this thing is stupid heavy.

Comment

got some work done on the car again today.

i've pretty much stripped the heater box at this point. i grinded off all the uneccessary plastic brackets and pulled the AC evaporator core, and all of the cables to actuate the vents. basically i'm sealing all vents shut aside from the defroster. i didn't get any pictures of this because it's not all that exciting anyway. i also started prepping the dash for flocking. i filled the cracks with epoxy and sanded them. at this point i pretty much just need to clean it up and flock it.

also cut some more cancer out of the floor and started preparing it for patches. i will also be patching the holes for the heater box drains since i won't have carpet and i'll know instantly if my heater core is leaking. so no need for a drain through the body.

pics of rust removal:

driver side exterior:

chunk of cancer that was removed prior to the previous picture being taken:

passenger side ready for patchwork:

Comment

Damn. Keep it up.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                        Sounds like you need a massage.
                        Originally posted by kpeng
                        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                          Damn. Keep it up.
                          thanks man, and will do.

still trying not to get too caught up in the interior stuff again for a bit. trying to take a little break and get motivated while i work on other "bolt-unbolt" type stuff.

put in a huge order with both blunttech and oreilly last night for tune up stuff for the m20. hoses, plugs, belts, timing belt tensioner, new boot for steering rack, etc etc.

need to order shifter rebuild stuff next.

Comment

I used por15 5-6 years ago to paint some areas that had surface rust. The areas that i painted ended up rotting out because i didnt use a sealant over the paint, if you look at the undercarriage the whole thing is actually primed and then undercoated with some serious stuff. The por15 just chipped off from road desbri and caused major rust.

I ended up cutting out the rot (very similar to what you are doing) patched it up and painted with epoxy primer followed by a sealant and an undercoat the undercoat was more of a why the hell not thing im sure the sealant alone would have been fine.

Also when you put the fenders back on its important to seal the edges where it meets the body and also the fender liner. water mud salt and snow will pack up in there otherwise, ask me how i know

I riveted in the majority of my patches, i worked as a aircraft structural mechanic for a few years (probably shot over 100000 rivets) and i prefer it for body work over welding, most will call it ghetto but i hate welding sheetmetal especially because it burns off all the primer thats in the areas inside the unibody that you cant see.
                            Last edited by catalyst.; 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM.
                            94 325is

Comment

Originally posted by catalyst. View Post
                              I used por15 5-6 years ago to paint some areas that had surface rust. The areas that i painted ended up rotting out because i didnt use a sealant over the paint, if you look at the undercarriage the whole thing is actually primed and then undercoated with some serious stuff. The por15 just chipped off from road desbri and caused major rust.

I ended up cutting out the rot (very similar to what you are doing) patched it up and painted with epoxy primer followed by a sealant and an undercoat the undercoat was more of a why the hell not thing im sure the sealant alone would have been fine.

Also when you put the fenders back on its important to seal the edges where it meets the body and also the fender liner. water mud salt and snow will pack up in there otherwise, ask me how i know

I riveted in the majority of my patches, i worked as a aircraft structural mechanic for a few years (probably shot over 100000 rivets) and i prefer it for body work over welding, most will call it ghetto but i hate welding sheetmetal especially because it burns off all the primer thats in the areas inside the unibody that you cant see.
                              thanks for the heads up. i was planning on going over the por15 on the exterior with an undercoating to help with that so i think i should be okay.

i do have a ton of rivets that i could use but i trust welds a bit more and i like the look of welds better. i will be riveting my sunroof delete panel though.

seeing as the car is only going to be driven in the summer i've debated even keeping fender liners since i only have one (and it's damaged at that) but i will probably end up finding some new ones just for the sake of security.

Comment

Working...
                              X