Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Quade, the yuppie S52 vert

Originally posted 3/28/16

White. Convertible. 1992. Caucasian Yuppie Mobile.....and what is the most Yuppie name you can possibly think of? Quade.

Hey guys-

Wanted to introduce my new-to-me 1992 325i Vert I picked up last week.

So after moving back to PA from SC this year, I was visiting my mother at work around July and next door is a local hole-in-the-wall Mercades shop. Noticed that tucked away in the back was this alpine late model vert and took a look. Saw that it was recently inspected and figured that someone had it in for maintenance so I didn't think anything of it.

Met another local e30 guy and told him that I've been looking for a late model vert with a blown engine to do an engine swap on. I've been itching to do one for the longest time and my current '89 is too "proper" to swap an engine in and the M20 in it is healthy as shit. Plus I've done all maintenance and in my eyes, the thing is 95% complete. So he goes to tell me if I know of this MB shop and said that I saw they had this white vert parked out back for 9 months. Well turns out it was for sale, just not publicly listed.

Well needless to say the next morning I drove up and bought it for $1k ;)

The PO brought it in (drove it) with the oil cooler dangling down from the front end all busted up. The shop basically sat on it for a few months until the PO said to try to fix it and sell it. They topped off the oil and said it was knocking up a storm and spitting up oil all over. In my head I asked WHY! the oil cooler was obviously busted and it could never build up any pressure like that!

Brought the turd over to my garage, blocked off the cooler and the thing started right up, sounded beautiful and wasn't knocking at all! Thought I got lucky! But noticed that after a few minutes the oil pressure would go from around 50psi to about 5psi, so something was up. Got the 325e oil filter adapter for running without a cooler and still had the same issues.

Since its a vert and summer is coming up quick, I thought that if I can get this M20 running good- I can beat around on it until I find a suitable swap. Started with the oil pump and after I removed it took off the cover to find this!

Hot Damn- well goodbye to a summer beater! Put another pump in that I had laying around and had the same issues, good oil psi then eventually it would suck up more metal shavings and block the pump again. At this point, I'm not even mad- just more upset I spent 4h swapping out the pump and pan gasket.

Anyway! I am going to be pulling out the engine soon and breaking it down for parts- as its worth nothing as it is now and rebuilding it wouldn't do me any good. I'm going to sell what I need too and keep some of the other odds and ends in case my '89 needs something replaced down the road.

From what I know about the car:
    - Original CA car that went up for auction in 2006 and sold in PA. Lived for the past 10 years obviously in a garage because of the condition it is in. Plus only went 5k miles in the time it was over here. So it was a summer only car for the PO.
    - Interior was reupholstered and top was replaced at one point. Got really lucky for this condition especially because it is a vert.
    - Never molested, It's been a while since I've seen an e30 with everything in tact. Brake ducts, ABS/Brake wear sensors, fog lights NOT cracked AND working....stock stock stock
    - Wheels were optional apparently being semi rare Style 10's with brand new Hankook tires.
    - NO RUST! Under body solid! Only one rust spot on the drivers side door jam but only surface.

So I feel I got a good deal, I can sell the wheels/tires and top and make my $1k back alone.

As far as swaps- the plans are to see what comes into play, S52 or S54 A local guy has a S38B36 for sale which was rebuilt once in its life- tempting but a little nerve wracking to jump into.

For now it's going to just take up space while I finish up my '82 Mk1 Caddy then I'll get cracking.

Will post updates as this project goes on!

Last edited by Klug; 11-23-2016, 10:53 AM.
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

We need an "official" update! :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Cardude View Post
      We need an "official" update! :devil:
      "Cardude" your so rad with a username like that. ;D
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Just chiming in with some updates! I've been busting my nuts trying to get this thing running and underway for the past few months. Practically have been in the garage, every day working on things that should move fast...but somehow take forever to get finished.

Need to take a deep breath, as I cant be alone with my situation. Since I've had my '89 zinno for 5 years now, that was 5 years of on/off work to a point where it is near "finished" as I'd like. Trying to get this one, unintentionally, to the same condition as the zinno and it has been wearing me down- but the hard work is paying off and it's perfect timing for vert weather! (sarcasm....its November)

Regardless! Progress underway!

S52 Obtained (July 2016)

Found a '95 e36 m3 with a transplanted '98 s52 for the swap- after parting it out, I realized that e36's are such pieces of shit. I was luckily enough to obtain the e36 and after parting out the entire thing (literally, took every single bolt and wire out of the chassis) I was able to make back my initial cost and at the end of it- I have two totes full of spare wiring and more 10mm bolts then I will ever need.

I was a bit skeptical of this turd, the guy who had it before me, ripped out the s50 and transplanted the s52...however after the swap he refreshed the entire front end and never drove it. Basically sat for a year, he said he lost interest....but I feel that he did something wrong while doing the swap. Regardless, ran the compression- everything sitting at 132-135 across all cylinders. With that in mind, but the bullet and bought the thing home. It was a good deal since the e36 was still ODB1 and the S52 was ODB2- so the Kassel Tune, M50 intake, M50 headers were already screaming to be dropped into an e30.

I love my X5 35d, this thing towed this without breaking a sweat for a 5h round trip...all while getting 19MPG.

Packed house

Within the next 24h....

Get this thing out of my sight

Bye! (soon to be a track car, the guy will be tracking it down at NJ MSP)

Prep

Game Time

Fits!

I was a little nervous of the driveshaft situation. Quade was an auto, the e36 had the 6 bolt CV flange driveshaft and I was having a hard time sourcing the proper 4 bolt driveshaft. Ended up finding a local early model e30 E driveshaft, which was the perfect fit. Using the e36 M3 110mm Guibo to mount to the ZF and E30 CSB.

Testing, fitment, measuring...trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Swapped in the e36 rack, however I had no idea that it is a royal PITA with airbag cars. Basically had to drill out the lower left corner of the firewall in order for the shaft to connect properly. What a fiasco, but its possible.

Having my other zinno, has been the best "refrence" to have :)

Oh and I've been posting to instagram with #Quadethevert
        Last edited by Klug; 11-23-2016, 10:57 AM.
        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
        '95 BMW e34 525i
        '92 Range Rover Classic
        '90 Range Rover Classic
        '67 Pontiac LeMans
        '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

More updates!

Racing Dynamics vert springs installed

So much stupid fabricating

Renown wheel installed

E36 M Key installed

Before lowering

After Lowering

Need a skid plate pretty desperatly

Headers

Many hours wasted getting the harness working.....had to pin out each and every wire to the DME, as I was getting odd issues.

Ugh

Relocated the battery to where it should be...

Fancy beers keeping me sane

Tweeters from an F15 X5 :)

Don't judge my welding skills. It's functional.

Sitting pretty (and running great too!)
          Last edited by Klug; 11-23-2016, 10:56 AM.
          555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Finally got everything buttoned up on this bitch. Currently over at my buddys shop to get the exhaust fabbed and welded! Cannot wait to drive this thing!

Going from the 2'' headers to Y pipe and out a single 2.5''>Borla Mid Resonator>Magnaflow muffler. (Didn't end up using that flowmaster muffler or large Y pipe, since I would have to use that Y pipe before the muffler...too messy)

Hopefully it will be finished today, so expect some better updates to come!
            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
            '95 BMW e34 525i
            '92 Range Rover Classic
            '90 Range Rover Classic
            '67 Pontiac LeMans
            '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Also, for future help...here is my final- true and through- pin out diagram. This took hours and hours to compile. Every swap will be different, as I noticed here pretty quickly. Use it at your own discretion.

Last edited by Klug; 11-27-2016, 10:37 PM.
              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
              '95 BMW e34 525i
              '92 Range Rover Classic
              '90 Range Rover Classic
              '67 Pontiac LeMans
              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Why x20 and not m20? Also, the specific years for both would be helpful to anyone down the road.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                  Why x20 and not m20? Also, the specific years for both would be helpful to anyone down the road.
                  Thanks man, your right- It was a bit confusing going back and reading it. Just updated it and replaced the original image. :up:
                  555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                  '95 BMW e34 525i
                  '92 Range Rover Classic
                  '90 Range Rover Classic
                  '67 Pontiac LeMans
                  '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Sweet build

Comment

Great info!

Just bought a convertible and am planning a S52.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Wait, so you used the original e36 key? How did you pull that off?

I've been thinking of using the EWS key to take advantage of the anti-theft tech instead of deleting it like usual.
                        Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Are you a clock freak? Odd to see so many clocks like that and not at an airport. I just use GMT and move forward or backwards accordingly.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
                            Wait, so you used the original e36 key? How did you pull that off?

I've been thinking of using the EWS key to take advantage of the anti-theft tech instead of deleting it like usual.
                            So believe it or not- the e36 ignition lock cylinder is the exact same thing as the e30. So all I did was switch the cylinders and now have the M-Key, no modifications were needed. However, the door locks between the e36/e30 are not interchangeable- so currently I have the regular e30 key for unlocking the doors....that is until I fix my central locking BS.

Yeah I deleted EWS entirely- one less thing to worry about for me.
                            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                            '95 BMW e34 525i
                            '92 Range Rover Classic
                            '90 Range Rover Classic
                            '67 Pontiac LeMans
                            '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                              Are you a clock freak? Odd to see so many clocks like that and not at an airport. I just use GMT and move forward or backwards accordingly.
                              hahahahaha I forgot those were in the picture. The garage I am out of used to be an old warehouse and I am constantly finding stuff from all over the place. Like a box full of clocks, about 50 bowling balls, horse racing carriages, restaurant equipment, WW2 memorabilia, 80's safety glasses and that is just scratching the surface :)
                              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                              '95 BMW e34 525i
                              '92 Range Rover Classic
                              '90 Range Rover Classic
                              '67 Pontiac LeMans
                              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Working...
                              X