Saving a 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving a 325is

Well for starters this is my first post on r3v! Been lurking and reading builds and decided it was time to document the saving of a little old 87 325is. Some background about me is this isn't my first project. I've been turning wrenches on cars since I was 14 and I am now a journeyman mechanic with Mercedes
    Benz. I've built my daily right now, a e36 328is with a 5.0 that i saved from a scrap yard and my first car was and is an 89 Dodge pickup that i swapped in a newer fuel injected engine. Well enough non e30 talk, the story behind my 325is goes that back in 2012 i drove my best friend to La in my then new to me e36 to buy an e30. Well we cam home with a little 325is with a lot of issues. At the time i had no business inspecting a car and saying go ahead and buy it. Well fast forward 5 years and i get a call from my friend saying if he doesn't get the now dead e30 with no key and a bad rear wheel bearing out of his dads driveway its going to the junkyard. Well i immediately offered to buy the car and he told me to just pick the car up and it was mine. Score! So now begins the rebuild and saving of this little 325is to be my oem plus daily.

So as of right now I've already replaced the rear trailing arm bushings, right rear wheel bearing, subframe and diff bushing (came with car in the trunk), new right rear axle shaft, new front control arms, tie rods IE sway bar bushings, akg adjustable sway bar endlinks front and rear (came with car in the trunk), eibach sway bars (came with car in the trunk), eibach pro springs (came with car in the trunk), replacement instrument cluster, removed old nasty moldy carpet- scored a clean tan coupe carpet for 200$ locally.

Next is a valve adjustment, timing belt and all maintenance items.
    Now some pics after all that writing!

e36 with a ford 5.0
    [/url]
    My Dodge w100

Now to the e30

[url=https://flic.kr/p/C5wkSw]

Got a couple things done this weekend, getting real close to driving this thing.
    Changed spark plugs, oil change, valves adjusted, and finished off the rear end (drive shaft, axle shaft, tighten rear sway bar endlinks).

Comment

Finished up a few things under the hood, oil change, replace a leaking fuel line so I could take it for a little test drive. The car runs great but definitely needs a new csb and after inspecting it at work on the lift the guibo is shot. Shifter rebuild kit and dssr as well as a csb are already on there way. Way too excited to start daily driving this thing soon

Here it sits on a borrowed set of bottle caps

Definitely wanna lower the rear end .5inch

Typical shitty iphone pic

Comment

Nice save! If there are any spring pads left in the back, that can help to bring it down, but those springs wont really do much of a drop.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice save, and nice E36!
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Thanks guys! I have all 4 spring pads in the rear, when i have it on the rack Monday I'll pull them out and see how that helps. Shifter rebuild kit, garagistic dssr, csb and guibo should all be going on Monday if everything shows up. Along with a stock muffler for now, cant handle the no muffler game anymore

Comment

Finally rebuilt the shifter and got the stock exhaust on. Also put carpet back in after cleaning the floors. Started sorting out the wiring for the stereo that had been hacked together pretty poorly. Up next i'll be doing the timing belt and rebuilding my odometer all while trying to run out all the old fuel

New shifter parts, Garagistic dssr, Z3M shifter

Wiring before clean up

And after, will be running new speaker wire to component speakers front and rear

Carpet back in nice and clean

Also recently replace the guibo, center support bearing left rear wheel bearing. Drives super smooth now.

Comment

Wow! I'd say you made out like a bandit, that is a very clean "free" E30.

You move fast ;)

Comment

wow, you lucky SOB!
                  Paynemw
                  1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                  the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                  1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been driving it around trying to burn up the old gas but it has a weird drivability issue where it feels like a miss at half throttle and surge somewhat while cruising. Timing belt just showed up so will be doing that within a week.

Here's a picture with my doggo just to keep it interesting

Comment

Nice job, keep on grinding. I’m subscribed to your rehab.

Comment

Ours look identical, from the start. The funny thing is I also have a Power Wagon as well. though yours looks much better than mine, Keep up the progress, it does not come as fast as most of us would like it to.

Comment

Haven't been driving the car or working on it since its now 40 degrees out when i'm off work.

Currently its running poorly intermittently, but i have a cap, rotor, timing belt kit and new intake gaskets along with some fresh m50 injectors i'll be tossing in as soon as i have a free Saturday. Also need to figure out why its filling the passenger floor with water when it rains.

In the meantime heres a photo from the last time i drove it

Comment

Love it! But I am also slightly biased haha. I have the sedan twin to your car...

1987 325 | @e30_hunter |

Comment

Love the four door! Looks pretty clean

Comment

Working...
                              X