smoking your headlights (non smiley)without removing your lenses DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking your headlights (non smiley)without removing your lenses DIY

I've read through the previous thread of smoking headlights. and thought i'd try a different approach. According to others that have done this, the hardest part is taking the lens off. Due to the amount of heat the lens and adhesive must be exposed to (baking or boiling), the chances of the lens breaking is high. If the only reason in taking off the lens is to paint the reflectors...... then why not just remove it!!!!

Here is how i did it and pretty pleased with the results....enjoy

1. Remove the three screws to separate the housing and the reflectors.

2.This is how the back of the lens looks like after separating the two pieces.

[IMG]http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/52/452/5/1/99/2604501990102004321PyykUL_th.jpg

3. Tape the back of the lens to prep it for painting.

[/IMG]

spray the surrounding area of the housing with black paint. I used a flat paint. Try to paint as much area as you can, their will be some hard to reach area but do not stick the spray can if the housing. The gray plastic is dark enough that you could not see the unsprayed area from the outside of the lens. Try to not let the housing sit on the lens while drying. Have the housing right side up so paint does not run and settle on the lens. If you get over spray on paint run on the lens- simply clean it with a rag and small amount of paint thinner.

5. Next is to tape off the actual reflectors. Then spray the outer chrome rim shown in the picture above.

6. Next is to tape of the ellipsoid lens and paint the metal piece.

7.These are all the pieces that should have been painted.

8.This is the part where the tape is taken off the rear of the lens and at the same time the reflectors are removed. A piece of pliers helps in removing the reflectors.

[/IMG]
    9. This is what all your pieces should look like. Now its time to put it back together!!!

The results….

[/IMG]

looks ok to me……

[/IMG]

it doesn’t appear like the light output is being degraded. Can you tell which has the reflector??

[IMG]http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/11331/2082675700102004321S500x500Q85.jpg
    This is the only difference noted at night. See how there seems to be four other source of light projected form the sides. I kinda like the different look the light projects

This is how the stock looks like at night.
    Last edited by DarkWing6; 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM.

This is a very good DIY article, thanks for sharing!

I have a question though. I haven't inspected the headlights very carefully, but would it be the same process for the high beams?

Doug
    Douglas C.
    Costa Rican 88 M3

Comment

no, the high beam u either have to paint the reflector (which basically cancels out all light reflected) or open them up and put crosshairs in.

With this technique there is a little more glare but who cares. nobody in ca seems to.....

Shit looks badass...i always wonder what it would like....i played around with the housing to try and see when i was smoking my lights...

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
      PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

wow. that is ghetto. u basically removed the only part that was SUPPOSED to be painted...great.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

That part you took out is supposed to eliminate light scattering to other areas which includes oncoming drivers' eyes.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            wow. that is ghetto. u basically removed the only part that was SUPPOSED to be painted...great.
            I figured why risk breaking the lens, if all your trying to accomplised is painting the reflector. And after the reflector is painted it's sole purpose would be just be to block excess light projected in between the ellipsoid metal frame. I personnaly think the excess light effect is pretty cool.

And compared to having having the reflectors painted, i think removing the reflectors gives it a much deeper smoke effect rather than a painted look.

To all that are planning on doing this, it only takes between 1/2 - 1 hour to do this modification for both lenses.
            Last edited by CRIS; 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
              That part you took out is supposed to eliminate light scattering to other areas which includes oncoming drivers' eyes.
              I did look into this and tested in at night to see if it will blind oncoming drivers like you mentioned. With the amount of scattered light coming from the sides and with nothing reflecting it forward, it is not enough to project out and blind on coming traffic. It is more in the line of a low emitted city lights.

And if you would like to eliminate the extra light, i think the the simplest solution would be to cover/wrap some type of material around the metal framing the ellipsoid sits on and that should solve the problem. :D:D
              Last edited by CRIS; 08-23-2007, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Who cares....everyone is socal doesnt know that their fuckin highs are on blinding everyone (or maybe just me). No ones really cares about the glare. At least not here.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Great ! :shock:

Not really . You seriously would have gotten the same look and have been better off just having spray tinted the outside of the lens .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                    Great ! :shock:

Not really . You seriously would have gotten the same look and have been better off just having spray tinted the outside of the lens .

Dont be that silly. At least he didnt lose light output like he would if he tinted the glass.

Comment

tinting the lense would be counter productive for improving the headlight. But considering how pitted your lights are i would have replaced my lenses. I have the colorline hellas on my car and the paineted reflector does not look bad. Plus if you have ecodes you would need to keep it for the city lights.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

why not just get smoked laminex instead of destroying your ellipses?
                        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                          why not just get smoked laminex instead of destroying your ellipses?
                          Why not get a hardtop instead of a bitch car ?

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

^lol
                            beware of attack squirrels

Comment

This how we do in Lithuania :)
                              I don't drive fast - i fly slow... :)

Comment

Working...
                              X