rebuild? or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuild? or not?

ok, so i developed a bad oil leak after lowering my car... i thought i cracked the oil pan. After checking everything today, the leak is higher on the front end, probably a cam seal... then I noticed the rear main was pouring oil out too, all this happened in a day. Im thinking im just going to pull the engine and rebuild the whole thing to not have anymore worries for awhile....or, should I just find a lower mileage (300k on this one) replacement? opinions? anyone been through this?

I am not going to just replace the seals that are blown, too much trouble to go through when other parts are old and worn...

i would suggest to find another motor to rebuild so you don't have any down time on the car.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
      i would suggest to find another motor to rebuild so you don't have any down time on the car.
      car is not driveable as is

Comment

Ive got one with 100k. Runs terriffic. HOWEVER ive been told it needs a head gasket because it runs hotter than normal. Some guys from the SC/NC meet can verify it runs great

(going M50)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
          Ive got one with 100k. Runs terriffic. HOWEVER ive been told it needs a head gasket because it runs hotter than normal. Some guys from the SC/NC meet can verify it runs great

(going M50)
          price? available now?

Comment

Why not just buy my rebuilt engine with 2k on it?

Will
            RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
            Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
            DaveCN = Old Man
            My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
            If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

I'm here to tell ya that what looks like a rear main leak, isn't always. Thought I had one (BIG leak) but I took off the oil pan since the pan seal was leaking too, and discovered a two inch section of it (from right under the rear main) was missing. That piece was found in the oil pump pickup. New pan seal, and no more leak.
              The current fleet:
              1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
              1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
              1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

hmmm... ok... well i'll pull it apart this weekend and see what im up against. But with 300k im not expecting the best.

Peavey bassist: wheres your for sale thread so i can get some info on your engine?

Comment

Working...
                X