busted oil pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

busted oil pan

so i hit a good sized dip in the road and my front struts are blown so it started bouncing and came down on the pan hard. put a small hole in it. gotta take it off to fix it but now that ive got the oil pan bolts out i cant get it off. do i have to remove the bellhousing cover also? also didnt raise the motor is that something im gonna have to do also or does it just make it easier? any help would be apreciated as i need this done so i can drive to work.

I raised my motor and took off the cover to the trans cause it was bolted to the oil pan too. Mine slid right out when i jacked the motor up.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

is it just a lower cover or do the bolts running forward and aft all the way around the cover have to come out?

Comment

I don't know for sure if your reinforcement bowl is the same as mine, but mine had four Torx bolts attaching it to the trans and four hex-head bolts attaching it to the block. Underneath you'll find like 8 or so hex-head bolts attaching the pan to the block. Remove all of that, jack up the front of the motor (or preferably lift it with a hoist) unbolt the oil pressure relief valve and the oil pump from the block, and pull your oil pan out.

edit: of course you'll have unbolted the motor mounts before trying to lift the motor! And, it is impossible to remove the pan without either lifting the motor or removing the subframe.
        Last edited by strad; 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM.
        The current fleet:
        1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
        1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
        1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

well discovered alittle jb weld some oil pan rtv gasketmaker a rubberroofing gromit and a sheetmetal screw work at sealing oil pans till you can get enough time to pull everything and replace/weld the pan. we will see how long it holds but i really need the car to drive and have been working 60-70 hours a week. damn boeing anyways.

Comment

get the car on jackstands remove the bellhousing remove the oil pan bolts jack up the transmission against the tunnel as high as it will go ( might have to loosen the engine and tranny mounts) and that should give you enough clearnce to pop the oil pan and pump out in one clean shot....hope this helps
            Originally posted by ebelements
            Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Working...
            X