No announcement yet.

My turn! My 2.7i Stroker Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistons are in, gonna torque down the crankshaft bolt tonight, most likely. I didn't stagger the rings a complete 120 deg, but rather made the compression and scraper rings about 30-40 deg apart, and made sure they weren't in line with the oil ring. Hopefully that'll be fine?

I found a massive torque wrnch, so I'm gonna put the bitch to use and see what happens.

In terms of the front crankshaft seal - I've gotten it in as far as I can. I put the front engine cover one, and the seal seems to be a little loose on the outter edge of it (the edge on the front portion of the seal). It looks as though there's a bit of a gap, and a bit more gap on top than there is on the bottom.

I got it a little further tin than flush, but not as far as I woulda liked - the bentley says to get it 1 - 2mm further in than flush - but no matter how much I pounded on the thing, it wouldn't go it. I don't want to damage the seal at all.

Should I get a picture? I'm thinking that it'll be fine...but I'm really not positive.
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

why didn't you make them 120 degrees?

not sure on the seal. what are you using to push it in? I left mine at the machine shop, hopefully they'll figure it out.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
        why didn't you make them 120 degrees?

not sure on the seal. what are you using to push it in? I left mine at the machine shop, hopefully they'll figure it out.
        Cause I didn't know that's how much they had to be staggered, and they're all already in now.

They're still staggered, so at least they're staggered. I could have made them 120 deg easily, but I didn't know what to do, so I staggered them as I did, and called it good.

I think it should be fine.

I'm talkin about the front crankshaft seal. I've been using the back of screwdrivers (yea...I know, now the best way) and slowly tapping it in all the way around. It's worked fine. Only issue I've found is I've managed to sorta mess up the outside of the front seal - but the rear showed no signs of damaged, so it SHOULD seal as normal. I got it further in just a second ago, so that shouldn't be a problem anymore.

What the hell is a woodruff key? Something to hold the crankshaft from turning?
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

Well, I put a hammer between the #3 portion of my crank and the block-wall - grabbed my massive 3/4" drive Harbor Freight Torque wrench, with a 1" drive 22mm socket and converter - and went to town.

I got it to click, but I think it's only at like 270 - so I'm going to try it once more - I was putting my bodies weight on there - seemed to work alright.

The crank and bearings should be fine, right? I heard a bit of cracking sound when right after I heard the torque wrench click - so I'm hoping that it was only the crank grinding against the hammer - that or the bolt getting nice and tight in there. There's no way I could crack the crank doing this - RIGHT???
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

It's on!

Got the torque wrench set to the highest setting - most likely 300 ft lbs. Went a little past the click - I think it's tight - reallly damn tight.

I'm pretty sure that the cracking was the wooden handle on the hammer, since it was bending against the block - found a different angle, and no cracking.

That stand sure was movin! lol
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean
              What the hell is a woodruff key? Something to hold the crankshaft from turning?
              it's the key on the front of the crank, it keeps the front hub and damper aligned correctly.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                it's the key on the front of the crank, it keeps the front hub and damper aligned correctly.
                Ohh, ok. That's built in though, isn't it.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Cool thread! Did you do a baseline dyno?

'88 325is
                  VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                  BMWCCA 380364

Comment

easily accessible dyno in boise idaho?

haha.

I dare you to make less sence.

Good job Sean. I want a ride when you're done.

-Addis

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
                    On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
                    BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Hell yes Addis! I have many a rides to give when this job finally completes! :)

Baseline dyno? HA. I didn't have time for a stinkin dyno. There are dyno's here in town, but if I want to get there, it's gotta be with a group, ohterwise I'd spend tons. Not worth it to me - and I needed to get started ASAP.

Not to mention my subframe was cracked. lol
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

cool thread, good pics :)
                        90is, longtube headers/straight pipe/mark d 18# 93 0ctane chip/18# injectors/vogtland springs/bilst. sports

:firehop:

Comment

UPDATE - More pics added July 1st!

UPDATE - More pics added July 1st!
                          It's coming along quite well. Although I didn't meet my goal of having the car rolling by July 1st, I'm pretty sure it'll be rolling under it's own power by the middle of this week. The engine is almost back together and that leaves me with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff that I need to do to the car before I can put the engine back in. Too the pictures!

Steering rack done. Turns out one of my boots ripped when pressure washing - so I'm just replacing both. lol

New uncracked subframe back in! Actually wasn't too bad putting everything in all at once. Saved time, and a floor jack was used to stabalize, and a another to push the subframe back on to the studs! :)

Another one of the subframe.

New radiator. My old one...is...well...old. No sense reusing it!

This pile is starting to shrink! :D

New heatercore and piping installed? Why...?

That's why. Disgusting - I know!

Cleaning engine bay. Will be attempting use of steam cleaner to remove cosmoline this weekend.

Reassembling the engine!

Crank getting ready to go in.

Main bearings ready - nicely coated with assembly lube!

Caps ready to go!

Droppin the crank in!

Puttin on the first cap.

Pretttyyyyy :D

Crank in!

Time to put on the rings!

Cylinder and crank!

Getting the piston in.

Rod and crank.

This same day, I managed to crack one of my rings, get pics of that up later. Basically, I was tapping it thru the ring compressor into the piston, and I didn't realize that the ring had gotten lodged between the compressor and the block - so I kept pounding. Needless to say, there was a good 40 deg portion missing and I had to wait until Tuesday to finish getting in my pistons (it was Saturday).

Pistons installed - some of them at least.

Front crank cover and seals

All pistons in.

Front crank bolt - not sure if this was before or after I torqued the damn beast! But...daaamnn...it sure did make the engine stand want to turn over! lol

Making sure the crank scraper has the right clearance.

Checking the clearance.

Hitting the oil pan with some VHT Silver paint. Just freshening it up a bit! Hopefully I won't rub on anything ever! ;)

Rear seal driven in.

Rear cover goin on!

Brand new oil pump and gaskets goin on.

Oil pan on!

The cylinders with all pistons installed!

The head before it goes on. Nothing spectacular. Just redone valce seals and seats and a bit of resurfacing of course. Otherwise, just a stock IS Head with 184,000 miles (from what I know)

Got head? hah

Front pulleys have my powdercoated a gunmetal metallic. I still need to go back and have him go my alternator pulley - so that'll be off for a while. But, they look fricking badass! Front cover has been powdercoated in a silver, among other things. Front harmonic balancer was hit with VHT Black paint. Exhaust manifolds were hit with VHT Silver paint.

It's looking so awesome. i CANNOT WAIT to drive my car with no hood and my pride and joy showing to the world! :D
                          - Sean Hayes

Comment

nice job, motor looks awesome

Tom

Comment

looking good, are you not going to run an oil cooler on this engine?
                              85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                                looking good, are you not going to run an oil cooler on this engine?
                                Ohh ya - I got it standing by. I just need to clean it out, get the seals on, and screw it in. It's on my list. ;)

It's come a long way. I cannot wait to have it nice and snug in my engine bay! :D
                                - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                                X