Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket alternatives to maintenance items..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket alternatives to maintenance items..

Just going through all the maintenance items, I'm wondering if there are aftermarket upgrades for the following:

Thermostat
    Thermostat Housing
    Water Pump
    Oil Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel Pump
    Spark Plugs (Bosch Supers okay?)
    Airbox filter

and I'm not sure if this is the right section for it, but since I need to replace these, are there smart aftermarket replacements for:
    Driveshaft
    U-Joint

Thanks!

-Evan
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

bosch supers for spark plugs
    K&N filter for airbox

everything else is waste IMO
    Continuous For Sale Thread
    323i s50

Comment

How about low temp thermostats?

Comment

I know for e36's there's a stuarts water pump - is there an equivalent for the e30?

-Evan
        1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold ::

Comment

the stock E30 stuff is fine

I would even argue that a K&N filter is a waste of money
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Stock is fine, and the K&N probably doesn't do much.

There's no optional waterpump. E36's have the different pump because the stock one has plastic parts. E30's use entirely metal water pumps. And they get changed with the timing belt everything 50,000-60,000 miles anyway.
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

You didn't list spark plug wires, but I'm working on a way to use generic aftermarket performance wires (Accel, MSD) but retain the stock terminals and boots so they will work with the stock distributor cap. I snipped some wires at the junkyard to experiment with; I just need to find the time to look them over.
              Jason

Comment

Originally posted by MoparJ View Post
                You didn't list spark plug wires, but I'm working on a way to use generic aftermarket performance wires (Accel, MSD) but retain the stock terminals and boots so they will work with the stock distributor cap. I snipped some wires at the junkyard to experiment with; I just need to find the time to look them over.
                I used an msd kit from autozone, $25, rented the crimping tools there to use the ends off my old wires. Make sure you get ones that your impulse sensor will fit over if you have one.

Comment

Nice, that sounds like a good way to go. My car doesn't have the sensor, so that will make things easier.
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  X