My e30 318is s52 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
    ^^ no prob, i got your back. z3's work, but they are expensive. e28 3.23's just need to have the flanges swapped but i've been hearing a lot about how the internals can be swapped on a bunch of casings (on bimmerforums)

i might drop my engine today :D
    hang on, are you contemplating to do this soon, i though you already had? you know your shit. ill see what i can find, now i no to stop looking for 3.73's.... new pics up tomorrow, took the m42 apart for the hell of it. parts for sale too

Comment

alrighty heres some new pics, took some of the m42 apart, and got it ready for the recyclers.

heres the exhaust system, ive tryed everything except a torch to get the o2 sensor out, also need to cut the remus off and add a new coat of paint so i can sell it.

heres the tranny disconnected, you can see the nice pretty centerforce clutch in there.

alternator/sensors off, time to pull the injectors outa there as well

never seen the intake manifold off, now i can pull the injectors.

you know, i was wondering why my temp gauge never read half way, i guess i cant use the thermostat, anyone seen this before? lol

anyone need a superduper overkill clutch with 10,000 miles on it. 90% grab over stock

starter worked titties, i have no idea what to ask for these parts someone let me know.

alternator was rebuild last summer less than 5k on it.

bavauto ssk kit B i loved thias thing but i checked out there part numbers on there site this isnt going to work on the zf, its also up for grabs.

ac pump worked beautifully, engine is waiting by the door...

Comment

niice, making some good progress :)
        Toyota Pickup

Comment

^^ no prob, i got your back. z3's work, but they are expensive. e28 3.23's just need to have the flanges swapped but i've been hearing a lot about how the internals can be swapped on a bunch of casings (on bimmerforums)

i might drop my engine today :D
          The diff you are talking about is from the E28 535is models. Limited slip 3.25 ratio. You simply pop the flanges out of the E30 diff and scavenge the cover, swap those over to your E28 diff, and bolt up.
          Originally posted by 325Projectz
          don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
          :nice:

Comment

today i started to shave some brakets, for the clean look, no more washer fluid resouvoir, and all the coilpack brakets.

finished product, well for the day anyways, im going to grind them a little better and bondo everything smooth.

can someone draw arrows in paint if they have a minute, let me know what part of the wiring stays and what goes?

also anyone ever grind all duck shit looking weld around the towers, its beginning to annoy me, or should i just leave it alone, and fillin were possible to smooth it out?

Comment

Originally posted by windsor318is View Post
              can someone draw arrows in paint if they have a minute, let me know what part of the wiring stays and what goes?
              Do what I did: cut everything and fix what is actually needed later. Sure looks roomy initially!

Comment

^^ all that wiring goes.
                w/o cutting everything, pull the ecu plug into the engine bay (through/with the boot) and everything that's hooked up to it. you should only have things left like fluid resevoir level plugs, booster, c101->fusebox, headlights, a/c etc etc
                i dropped my engine in yesterday:finger:
                Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
                The diff you are talking about is from the E28 535is models. Limited slip 3.25 ratio. You simply pop the flanges out of the E30 diff and scavenge the cover, swap those over to your E28 diff, and bolt up.
                that's the one!
                No more e30s for me.
                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

^^ all that wiring goes.
                  w/o cutting everything, pull the ecu plug into the engine bay (through/with the boot) and everything that's hooked up to it. you should only have things left like fluid resevoir level plugs, booster, c101->fusebox, headlights, a/c etc etc
                  i dropped my engine in yesterday:finger:

that's the one!
                  thanks for the tips!can you explain which part the c101 is, i have no idea......and inhate you, take it back out

Comment

You also want to leave the 12v lead to the fusebox (thick black cable that goes from the fusebox to the remote battery terminal in the engine bay)

The C101 is the main round harness plug seen on the right side (drivers side) in the picture above, and should have 20 ports for pins (not all the ports are filled with pins). Not to be confused with the diagnostic plug which as a center alignment piece that looks like this: < .

Don't rely on wiring diagrams you find online. They may get you started but their is no substitute for doing your homework. Do you have an ETM (Electronic Troubleshooting Manual) for both the E30 318is and the E36 (S5x)? These are a necessity (along with a Bentley) and I can send them to you if you can handle HUGE email files.

Comment

thanks mike, the diagnostics plug goes buy buy as well then? im not going to bother fucking around i ordered the adaptor for the wiring.

Comment

Yep, the M42 diagnostic plug goes away with the rest of the harness.

Comment

I would recommend NOT losing the diagnostic port (kinda hard really as it is intergral to the engine harness). Just make sure you hook up all the needed wires that go to the diagnostic port from the car chassis harness (IIRC it is only 1 wire- I think it was just +12v).

Comment

I think you misunderstood. The M42 diagnostic plug does get removed along with the entire engine wiring harness.

He wasn't talking about removing the diagnostic plug from the new M5x harness. If you see his pictures, he removed the engine but left the old M42 harness in the car.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                              I think you misunderstood. The M42 diagnostic plug does get removed along with the entire engine wiring harness.

He wasn't talking about removing the diagnostic plug from the new M5x harness. If you see his pictures, he removed the engine but left the old M42 harness in the car.
                              Photohostin g sites blocked at work...can't see the pics.

Comment

for lots of wiring information and the ETM's mentioned by MikeB, read this thread man:

not knowing what the c101 or x20 plugs are at this point is a problem...overcomable, but you need to read the 24v thread

as for the diagnostics plug, you get a new one with the "new" harness, do as MikeB says and as i stated in my previous post...how does this make you feel?
                                No more e30s for me.
                                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                                X