• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Crank but no start

Hi guys,

Backstory:
    I have a 1991 318i with M42 engine.
    My e30 was jerking from time to time when running; it jerked more often when it's wet outside like raining. The jerk can also happen when it's under load like on hill.
    I took it to a shop, but they couldn't reproduce the issue.
    One day, my car just stalled completely, like there is no fuel. RPM drop immediately to zero, engine cut off. I could start back up for a run for a little while, then the engine will cut off again. Eventually, the car just wouldn't start anymore.

Replaced:
    - Fuel pump
    - Fuel filter
    - Spark plugs
    - HT leads
    - CPS (Tested the old one with DMM, there is no resistant between the pins)

Tested:
    However, the CPS doesn't look exact like the one I pulled out. I did the spark test with all spark plugs out on the intake manifold, they all have sparks when crank.

I also tested the blue temp sensor, the resistant seems to be within spec on cold.

Tested the fuel relay.

I had stomp code 1244 after I replace CPS, which is Camshaft position sensor. I tested Camshaft position sensor with DMM, it seems to at least have the right resistant. I unplugged the battery, and the there is no more code from CEL.

Here is a video of cranking:

It seems some of the cylinders were trying to combust?

When I take my spark plugs out after I crank the car, the spark plugs are usually covered with gas. I guess the engine was flooded, so I try unplugged the fuel pump, and dry the engine by cranking without the fuel pump connected. I know it dried out the engine, because I will have a clean crank after a few cranks without the pump.

What should I test next?

Thanks
    Last edited by bluevanilla; 11-30-2017, 11:16 PM. Reason: Adding more details

You have spark and fuel, test for pressure.

Comment

check your crank pulley vibration damper. I'm willing to bet that's your culprit. The rubber deteriorates and the CPS can't get an accurate reading.
      1991 318is ---230K - DD
      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
        check your crank pulley vibration damper. I'm willing to bet that's your culprit. The rubber deteriorates and the CPS can't get an accurate reading.
        how do I check the crank pulley vibration damper?

Comment

You may need to remove the dampener (6 bolts) to inspect it properly. If the inner and outer parts (elastomer in the middle) spin independently it's trash.

Checking it on the car makes it hard to come up with a definite yes/no, but if yours is toast you will be able to deflect it by hand.

Comment

Working...
          X