Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Swap troubles

Whats going on r3v,

so i'm in the middle of a differential swap on the ol' 30, and the last 2 bolts are giving me sooo much trouble. Literally hours are going by just to get these two fuckers in. The two rear mounting bolts on the trunk side are just not threading in. The subframe and the diff I know for sure are lined up and everything. Bolts are the original M12's. Anyone have a tip or something?? I'm highly considering just drilling out a hole in the truck and running the bolts down from the trunk as a last resort.

please help D:

did you check the threads before you put it in? if not you should probably drop the diff again and check the threads, you may have to clean them out and chase them with a tap. since they're so shallow a tap may not work, in that case i would just use a normal bolt and cut a slot in it to catch the gunk.

if you're sure the threads are okay and you have the correct bolts you must just not have it lined up right or you're holding the bolt crooked as you try to start the threads.

some companies like garagistic and condor started selling stud kits for e30 diffs because they're such a pain in the dick so you may consider picking up one of those (or piecing together your own at the hardware store and saving some money if you know what you're looking for)

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
    IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

I was thinking of also trying to grind the tip of the bolt to a point to get it started easier but ill probably try taking it back out D:

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
      did you check the threads before you put it in? if not you should probably drop the diff again and check the threads, you may have to clean them out and chase them with a tap. since they're so shallow a tap may not work, in that case i would just use a normal bolt and cut a slot in it to catch the gunk.

if you're sure the threads are okay and you have the correct bolts you must just not have it lined up right or you're holding the bolt crooked as you try to start the threads.

some companies like garagistic and condor started selling stud kits for e30 diffs because they're such a pain in the dick so you may consider picking up one of those (or piecing together your own at the hardware store and saving some money if you know what you're looking for)

Comment

Make sure you have the other bolts just started, It helps to have a little wiggle to align everything up.
        sigpic
        Steve Corbett
        1983 528E Scrapped
        1983 528E Sold
        1984 745I
        1984 325E - Sold
        1989 325I Bronzit-Sold
        1989 325I Zinno
        1988 635CSI

Comment

Thats why you always convert to studs

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            Thats why you always convert to studs
            What he Said!!
            sigpic
            Steve Corbett
            1983 528E Scrapped
            1983 528E Sold
            1984 745I