Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking CPS out?

Hi guys,

I have a 91 318i with M42 engine. My car stall out the other day, and I've not been able to start my car back up. I can hear the starter going off when I start my car, but I don't hear the fuel pump.
    I checked the fuel pump relay.
    I replaced the fuel pump.
    I am trying to replace the CPS, since I tested it and it's seems to be broken. Open circuit between pin 1 and 2.

However, there is guide rail that inaccessible unless I take off the compressor mount. I am wondering is there any easier way to do this?

I upload some pictures here:
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Thanks a lot guys.

The repair manual just tell me to unclip electric lead on line, which is not accessible in my case.

Comment

If your current CPS is dead just cut the wire and remove both ends. When you install the new one, route it so you do not need to remove the compressor bracket.

I would of course install the new one first to double check.

Comment

I am able to fish the CPS up from bottom without removing the compressor. Just for the record, this works because the CPS I got has a straight connector instead of a L-shape connector for some reason.

After the new CPS is installed, I tried to start and still no luck. I pulled out all of the spark plugs, and they all have gasoline smell. So I think I have fuel, but I will look into more on the spark side.

Regardless, thanks for your help.

Comment

I ordered an "OE-equivalent" CPS from FCP Euro when my CPS went bad, and it also came with the straight connector. It allowed my car to start but had a spot in the rpm band where it would hesitate/stutter. I ended up ordering the genuine BMW CPS (with the L-shaped connector) and it worked as it should ever since. I'm not necessarily saying your new CPS is bad, but I'd be suspicious based on my past experience.

In regards to your original topic, I removed the a/c compressor and compressor bracket when I replaced the CPS, as I didn't see a way around it. It wasn't too difficult. Once you loosen the tensioner and remove the a/c belt, it's just a few bolts to remove the compressor, and then a few more bolts to remove the bracket.

Comment

Yeah, if you have seen my another post, my car wasn't able to start even after I install the new CPS. I'm now suspecting the new CPS might be the problem. Thanks, I guess I will have to try to get another CPS.

Comment

You end up figuring this out?

Comment

Working...
              X