No announcement yet.

Chariot Gauge - Wideband O2, Boost/Vac, Oil pressure, Temp and Voltmeter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update today: I'm in full swing Bluetooth development right now. Bluetooth 4.0 (Low Energy) is quite a bit different from Bluetooth 2.0 in the way it connects and transmits data from a device. There are two components: the central (iOS app) and the peripheral (Chariot Gauge controller). The peripheral has various services, each of which contain various characteristics. The idea being one device can transmit various data - such as a heart rate monitor that sends back heart rate bpm as one characteristic and the location that the heart rate is taken from on the body as a second characteristic.

The app is connecting, finding the one service and one characteristic and transmitting the raw data from the Chariot Gauge controller to the app and converting the bytes to readable data - hurray. Unfortunately my bluetooth module I'm using crapped out so now I'm waiting for the replacement from China - boo. So it's back to interface development. The last big obstacle is the settings screen and handling how the different settings integrate into the gauge views.

More to come..

Comment

Can't wait!!!

Comment

This is awesome and I will definitely be ordering it in the near future. I have an LC1 and vacuum running to my glovebox already for megasquirt so that's easy, and obviously 12v is cake, but I was wondering where people are putting their oil temp and oil pressure sensors. Also if anybody has suggestions for suppliers for those parts it would be great.

I'd be tempted to put my oil pressure gauge right on my turbo (post restrictor) as that would be indicative of the system oil pressure and since I've already killed one turbo with too high oil pressure it would be good to be able to keep tabs on.

As for oil temperature, do people typically measure this in the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post
          This is awesome and I will definitely be ordering it in the near future. I have an LC1 and vacuum running to my glovebox already for megasquirt so that's easy, and obviously 12v is cake, but I was wondering where people are putting their oil temp and oil pressure sensors. Also if anybody has suggestions for suppliers for those parts it would be great.

I'd be tempted to put my oil pressure gauge right on my turbo (post restrictor) as that would be indicative of the system oil pressure and since I've already killed one turbo with too high oil pressure it would be good to be able to keep tabs on.

Oil filter sandwich w/ two ports works great for temp and pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mossman View Post

Jaywood is correct, it would be best to move the pressure/temp sender/sensor remotely so the weight doesn't cause it to break off from the vibrations of the engine.

However I have my setup similar to what you describe. The stack looks like turbo -> oil pressure restrictor -> adapter -> pressure sender -> oil feed line. Here's a picture of it installed I just snapped:

You can see how the weight of the sender could be an issue and could potentially break off in the adapter. I really need to either reinforce it or run a oil line from the adapter to the sender which is then tied to the chassis.

Comment

I have my VDO OPS mounted similarly into the extra oil filter hole the M50 has.
              I've been driving with it sporadically (not a DD) on pretty bad roads without any problems, although I have thought about a line instead of mounting it directly.
              I'm not sure what the inside of the OPS looks like or how thick wall of the threaded part is, but I think VDO makes a quality product and iirc OPSs have a very small hole. I don't recall if the instructions mentioned mounting in a certain way.
              But something like this would be reassuring

Comment

I've been playing around with a GoPro so here's a video update today. I didn't have the digital gauge hooked up so it sticks at the min-gauge value in the video.

There's a lot of code to cleanup but the Bluetooth is working great. Only the boost gauge calculations have been implemented and are hard-coded for now until I get the settings portion completed. Then I can make the gauges dynamic based on the user settings.

Comment

Now that the Bluetooth is working reliably I wanted to focus on getting all five gauges up and running to make sure the analog gauge code can handle the data. Each gauge/sensor requires a few parameters - now was a good time to implement the preferences. I set the defaults for each to hopefully handle a broad range of sensors without any user adjustment but the values can be modified to handle most sensor setups.

This is the top level of the settings screen:

The boost settings allow for toggling between PSI/Vac or KPA, pretty straightforward:

The wideband settings allow for toggling between AFR and Lambda and selecting various fuel types that might be used. On top of that the app can be calibrated for various AFR ranges to hone in on certain areas or see a broad view of the AFRS. The preset is a broad view of 7.35AFR up to 22.39AFR (these are also the presets for the LC-1 and LC-2):

Preferences for various thermistor temp sensors include toggling celsius or fahrenheit and calibrating a three point curve used in the Steinhart-Hart temperature calibration model. The defaults are preset for a GM style open (IAT) or closed (coolant/oil) thermistor:

The oil sensor calibration takes in two ohm values and two PSI values given by the manufacturer and creates a linear curve between the points. The preset is for a 0 - 80PSI oil pressure sender:

Also, adjustable dual gauge display preset for boost and wideband:

With the prefs in place all five sensors are tested and working great on my e30! The digital gauge is now hooked up properly so now it's a matter of parsing the data correctly for the dual and quad gauge views. Almost there!

Comment

This is an awesome project!
                    sigpic

Comment

Just ordered,cant wait buddy..keep up the awesome work!

Comment

Originally posted by superboosted View Post
                        Just ordered,cant wait buddy..keep up the awesome work!
                        Right on man, thanks for the order! You should have an email with the tracking number. I sent the controller out this afternoon.

Comment

This deserves a bump or even better yet, maybe a sticky to keep it at the very top of this forum
                          ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

So I'm buying one of these as soon as the app is available on the apple store.. was going to go the econoboost route and just sit the rest of the guages in the coin tray but this is so much cleaner. PLEASE post as soon as its iphone friendly
                            '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                            '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
                            Is that thing on air?

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
                              This deserves a bump or even better yet, maybe a sticky to keep it at the very top of this forum
                              Thanks for the bump man, gives me motivation to keep going!

Originally posted by ToPLeSS(e30)FeinD
                              So I'm buying one of these as soon as the app is available on the apple store.. was going to go the econoboost route and just sit the rest of the guages in the coin tray but this is so much cleaner. PLEASE post as soon as its iphone friendly
                              I'm still trucking through it, I've been testing it in my e30 and it's working great. I'll be spending the next few weeks putting some polish on it then to the app store it goes. I'll PM you when it's ready!

Comment

Great. Thanks a lot. Looking forward to it
                                '89 Delphin 2.8 Cabrio
                                '94 Yamaha FZR 600

Originally posted by FlexdXJ
                                Is that thing on air?

Comment

Working...
                                X