No announcement yet.

My Wrecked 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would have took a settlement and bought back the salvage from insurance, then used the salvage as parts car and build another one
    Current Cars:
    2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
    2017 FERRARI 488GTB
    2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
    1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
    1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
    1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
    1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
    2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
    CLEAN E30'S
    S54 DRIVETRAIN
    E30 DASH
    E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
      i would have took a settlement and bought back the salvage from insurance, then used the salvage as parts car and build another one

Have you ever built a car your self from the ground up rather then just buying one already done or paying a shop to build it for you? You’ll have a different attitude toward building another rather than just fixing the one you have.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Have you ever built a car your self from the ground up rather then just buying one already done or paying a shop to build it for you? You’ll have a different attitude toward building another rather than just fixing the one you have.
        Lol...plenty...let me rephrase...option B, settle with insurance then buy back salvage, then fix car...either way... guess it's just all my years managing body shops in the negotiating with insurance companies. Yes my hands and body shows the scars of many years of turning wrenches. But I'm at the point in my life that is easier to pay and then just tinker. Hopefully that does not offend you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
        Current Cars:
        2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
        2017 FERRARI 488GTB
        2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB

On Order:
        2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
        CLEAN E30'S
        S54 DRIVETRAIN
        E30 DASH
        E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by Steve L View Post
          Here are some more pictures. I still have to reinstall the front air dam. I need to install a new speedo sensor in the differential. And as it turns out, the right trailing arm was also slightly damaged by the impact. I have another sitting in my shop, waiting for me to install in the Spring.
          Shop did a great job with repairs! Smart on your end to have A/V insurance...thats what i do with all my stuff with Grundy (AIG)

Current Cars:
          2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
          2017 FERRARI 488GTB
          2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB

On Order:
          2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
          CLEAN E30'S
          S54 DRIVETRAIN
          E30 DASH
          E30 PARTS

Comment

Lol...plenty...let me rephrase...option B, settle with insurance then buy back salvage, then fix car...either way... guess it's just all my years managing body shops in the negotiating with insurance companies. Yes my hands and body shows the scars of many years of turning wrenches. But I'm at the point in my life that is easier to pay and then just tinker. Hopefully that does not offend you

No not at all. I was simply curious if you ever have. I know for me personally if anything happened I would do everything possible to fix the car I have before settling and swapping over to a new chassis.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              No not at all. I was simply curious if you ever have. I know for me personally if anything happened I would do everything possible to fix the car I have before settling and swapping over to a new chassis.
              I agree with that to a certain extent, after reviewing the original posters car he was correct by saying the damage was very isolated to a condensed area. The shop did a very good job

Current Cars:
              2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
              2017 FERRARI 488GTB
              2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB

On Order:
              2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
              CLEAN E30'S
              S54 DRIVETRAIN
              E30 DASH
              E30 PARTS

Comment

I agree with that to a certain extent, after reviewing the original posters car he was correct by saying the damage was very isolated to a condensed area. The shop did a very good job

Agree’d, It appears he found a superb body guy/shop.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

what a great ending. happy to see this car will be sticking around. thanks for keeping us in the loop on the process.

just an FYI collector car insurance companies are not the only ones doing stated value.

I have 50K on the m3 and 15K on the 318is through progressive and don't have restrictions on driving.

They own hagerty but at the time it was cheaper to insure through progressive. I would drop collision when the car is in the barn but that has gotten more difficult recently as you need to give them a weeks notice when re-adding it. It might be time to price out policys again.

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post

I have 50K on the m3 and 15K on the 318is through progressive and don't have restrictions on driving.

If you poke around at old threads here, those kind of policies didn't end up covering stated value, despite what they insurance company will tell you to seal a contract. I had a great experience with Hagerty with an e30. The car was totaled, so I kept it and they wrote me a check right away for the balance of the stated value minus buy-back no question asked.

And as far as driving restrictions, as long as you are honest about the mileage you put on it, the policy will be adjusted accordingly. They just don't want it to be your daily/primary vehicle (driving in rush hour traffic, things of that nature).
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Glad to see the car saved and back together, Steve :)
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

That is a beautiful restoration. I'm glad you have your e30 back.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

In response to some comments about allowing the car to be totalled and using it to rebuild a salvage car....There are possibly better ways to do it than the way I did.

I have performed a number of complete restorations of '60's era pony cars. I've pulled more engines and transmissions than I can remember and have painted a couple of dozen cars, not including panel work. But that was when I was in my 40's and 50's. I'm starting to feel like an old man. I don't want to do that anymore now that I'm in my 60's. I like to refurbish cars, but no more engine pulls, if I can help it. I would have had to get a good body and transfer all of my good parts onto it, because the crash damage on my car went beyond my body repair skills.

Also, the truck that hit my car was at fault for the accident. I have to admit that after already putting 100 restoration hours in the car, I was pissed off to think that I had to take on a major restoration project just because he was running on cheap recapped tires. When the truck owner came up to me next to my wrecked car and said he would make it right, I said that I just wanted my car rebuilt. His insurance paid for some of the work, which seems fair to me.
                          Last edited by Steve L; 01-17-2018, 02:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Some afterthoughts here.....If someone wants to keep a crash damaged car like the one I have, it's important to recognize that the skill level to repair crunched auto bodies is very high. It takes many years of daily experience to be able to rebuild a crash damaged car like mine. The body shop had my car for three months, so even with all of their skill and special equipment, it was a big job. I'm in awe of the skill level of the guy who worked on my car. Very few home mechanics have the skills to repair crash damage like my car had.

At a few points, I was prepared to tear out the rear chassis and rebuild that section. The suspension work was within my skill level and I had already torn the rear end apart. But the body shop wanted all of the work or none of it.

Finally, my limited experience with body shops tells me that it's better to have an adjuster and an insurance company helping to scrutinize the scope of work and charges proposed by the body shop. If you allow the car to be totaled and take it to a body shop on your own, it may be more difficult to keep the costs under control.

Comment

Working...
                            X