Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FREE BEER. Wanna help me refurb my shifter linkage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE BEER. Wanna help me refurb my shifter linkage?

Hello all,

Just moved to north Jersey (Hawthorne, 07506), and recently came into possession of a lovely '91 318is. She needs a bit of work, though, and I was wondering if anyone was in the area and would like to help me out a bit in exchange for free beer, lunch, and good conversation. You name the beer, and I'll get a case.

I've been tinkering a lot lately, but the next project is to refurb the shifter bushings etc, as well as install a dssr. I figured I would go ahead and drop the driveshaft to do this, and I'll admit this scares me a bit. Anyone have any experience with this, and wouldn't mind holding my hand through the process?

Also just looking to establish connections in the Bimmer nerd community...

Thanks guys!! My name's Ben, by the way :)

I don't have any experience doing that, but have tools and am willing to lend a hand. I have a 318is as well and need hand holding through the mess under the intake. Maybe we can get a few together with someone who knows their stuff and make a day of it. I wouldn't mind doing a DSSR on my car either.

Comment

Def will want to drop DS. Means getting around exhaust, too.

Make it easier on yourself. Drop em. Change CSB and related parts while there. Tough to imagine a guibo no in need of replacing.
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Whats so scary? unbolt it, dont take the driveshaft appart, do work and put it all back together.

To do the shiftier bushes you are better off removing exhaust, driveshaft, gearbox cross member and dropping the gearbox and engine down using a hydraulic jack. you can drop it a fair bit and get all kinds of access. Well as much access as you can expect from lying on the ground under a car.

I did all mine a few weeks ago. Took me a few hours just doing it myself and i did the shifter rod seal at the same time.

Also before you pull it all out, check on your rear main seal of the gearbox and the shifter rod seal. both are turds to do, but if you are in there playing with shifter bushes its the perfect time.

Comment

Originally posted by BHT2109 View Post
          Hello all,

Just moved to north Jersey (Hawthorne, 07506), and recently came into possession of a lovely '91 318is. She needs a bit of work, though, and I was wondering if anyone was in the area and would like to help me out a bit in exchange for free beer, lunch, and good conversation. You name the beer, and I'll get a case.

I've been tinkering a lot lately, but the next project is to refurb the shifter bushings etc, as well as install a dssr. I figured I would go ahead and drop the driveshaft to do this, and I'll admit this scares me a bit. Anyone have any experience with this, and wouldn't mind holding my hand through the process?

Also just looking to establish connections in the Bimmer nerd community...

Thanks guys!! My name's Ben, by the way :)

Just saw this. Still need a hand?
          1988 Turbo 327i
          2007 Z4 M Coupe
          2008 Harley Nightster​

@s0uth.paw

https://martiniworks.com/builds/1988-bmw-325/

Comment

FREE BEER - now she won't start. (*sigh...*)

Hey guys, just a quick update:

Just wanted to thank all those who responded (some of you I PM'd). I actually ended up having my mechanic (Levent at Guten Parts in South Orange, NJ) take care of it, because several other issues arose at the same time and it just seemed more efficient to take care of all of it at once.

Anyway, now the old girl has developed a non-start issue, and I could really use the assistance of an enthusiast right now. I'm handy in general, but I'm a bit new to the M42, and I would love some help to figure out my next steps. I'm pretty certain that it's not a battery or fuse issue, and I was thinking of simply replacing the CPS just for good measure, but after that I'm a bit in the dark. Even checking for a spark is tough without another body to turn the key ;)

So, my original offer of beer and lunch still stands, and I would be extremely grateful to anyone on the metro NY area that could lend a hand.

Thanks so much fellas!

Ben

Comment

Just FYI, here is a 30-second video of me trying to start the engine. (Don't know if this will successfully post - I'm surprisingly inept at this forum stuff).

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...bpJCLkooFxDCCQ

Any ideas?

Guess I should also just post this in the Engine subforum, huh?

Comment

Working...
              X