No announcement yet.

My 2¢ on the s54

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard to compare apples to apples but S52 seems to make a bunch more midrange than s54 when boosted
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      hard to compare apples to apples but S52 seems to make a bunch more midrange than s54 when boosted
      Improper tuning

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

When you compare it to previous generations I assume you mean the previous Euro S50s (S50b30 & S50b32)?
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

I meant s52, to be fair the engine turns atleast an extra 1000rpm so torque wont come on as early.
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

John can you weigh the S54 so there's a (complete) weight to compare with the available info vorshlag put out there for the M20 and M42? It's not that I have any interest in an S54 swap, but I am curious to see what the engine weighs and the resulting changes to an E30's weight distribution.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Updated post #5

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Tell me more about this b28 combo, you can PM me so I dont derail this thread

back on topic, what is your overall impression of the S54?
              I notched the pistons to clear bob weights on one of our 2.8 builds. The s54 pistons have notches to clear with it's low rod/stroke ratio. (139mm/91mm = 1.527:1).

My Impression so far, it appears exactly the way it is: "let's stuff as much displacement as we can in this previously existing exterior shell".

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
              When you compare it to previous generations I assume you mean the previous Euro S50s (S50b30 & S50b32)?
              Never dug this deep into a Euro Spec engine.

I feel the m20 is like a first generation baby six, the 24v was a second generation, m/s54 is third. Parts from one generation don't necessarily bolt to others, yet they do inside a generation, with the overall design remaining very similar (internal measurements, parts etc).

Originally posted by varg View Post
              John can you weigh the S54 so there's a (complete) weight to compare with the available info vorshlag put out there for the M20 and M42? It's not that I have any interest in an S54 swap, but I am curious to see what the engine weighs and the resulting changes to an E30's weight distribution.
              Will see what I can do. Should be very similar to any iron 24v, though.
              Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 11-08-2017, 10:25 AM.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Update to post #8
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:

Comment

That’s great stuff. IMHO BMW hit its stride with the S54 sans the rod issues. If the crazy idea ever creeped into my beer bloated mind to do a swap, it would have to be the S54-NA Oof course. Keep the info coming Forced.

Comment

Is it possible to get a cutring gasket for the S54? Probably better sealing ability, especially with the low thickness between cylinders.
                    -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Yeah maximum PSI has them

Comment

Yeh, JE makes a cutring. I can get em too :)
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

The tooling to o-ring the blocks is in house and already set up for baby sixes. At this point in the rebuild, it was a no-brainer. Copper wire extended .007" above deck, OEM steel head gasket, ARP studs should do the trick. Snoop around bimmerboost and there's a lot of discussion about cut rings and sealing issues for dailies (but then again, same with Cometic which I have had success using in combination of copper spray).

Speaking of studs, I was surprised it took BMW this long to go to 11mm head bolts.
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Working...
                          X