Scary metal on metal sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary metal on metal sound

Back story, this motor was fully rebuilt by kuzimmer (here's the for sale thread https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...light=kuzimmer) a few years ago as a S52/M50 hybrid. When I picked up the car ~18 months ago I didn't get any history with the car... so thinking we had a M50 motor last new years day I pulled it to swap in a S52... Long story short after finding out the original motor was better than the junkyard one I had purchased I undid the oil pan swap/etc I had done and put the original motor back in the car.

So all that done (and replacing the worn 4 puck clutch/M20 flywheel with an aluminum flywheel and M5 clutch from UUC) everything is back in running and making a very unpleasant sound of metal sliding against metal whenever the engine is running. I haven't been able to track down the sound (though I sounds like its coming from the bell housing). Everything (clutch, cooling, oil pressure, etc) seems to be working correctly but I haven't been brave enough to put the car down and drive it around the block. I did, only once, running the engine for ~5 min to see if it just needed oil circulated in the block etc. There wasn't any change in the noise during that 5 min run.

The video below has a ~15 sec clip of me starting the engine, reving to ~2500 rpms, and then turning the engine off.

Any ideas or thoughts from the collective wisdom here as to what the noise could be?

Chris

Are you using the correct oil pan baffle?

-Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

I'm almost certain we didn't mess with the windage tray on the motor (in fact my wife remembers that as the first thing that made us realize the motor wasn't the M50 we thought). That said it's possible we bent it somehow...

I would assume that if noise is the windage tray rubbing the noise would be coming from the oil pan area, correct?

Comment

mine made a noise very similar to that when one of the pressure plate straps broke.
        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Does the noise go away when you press the clutch pedal?

Comment

I'm not near the car until later this week but I'm seriously hoping it wasn't a strap on the pressure plate (since that was/is a brand new part).

I didn't check a difference in the noise with the clutch pedal depressed (or more accurately I didn't after I got the slave cylinder properly bled). I'll definitely check that when I'm back.

Comment

Back in town and tried running it for a sec and moving the clutch, no change in the noise. I think that eliminates most if not all stuff in the bell housing?

I'm hoping that the weather here will dry out later this weekend and let me drop the oil pan to check the windage tray.

Comment

Not sure how helpful I'll be, but I'll give it a shot.

I'm building an M50 stroker. It's the same basic block, but with a 2.8 M52 cank and rods. Essentially, it has a shorter stroke. I used the e34 oil pan with the windage tray that bolts to the block and I had to bend the fins and cut out some of the metal for clearance. This was because the windage tray is for a normal M50. The S50 and S52 windage trays are specifically cut out to clear the rod bearing cap bolts.

TLDR: I would check your windage tray again.

Originally posted by Melon
                Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Odd as it sounds I'm glad to hear that. I haven't had a chance to drop the oilman and check the wind age try yet (car is in the driveway and with the rain storm car work is on hiatus for a couple days). There's no rain forecast for this weekend so will be able to look then.

Comment

It's understandable. It's better than internal engine issues for sure.
                    Originally posted by Melon
                    Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

And the sound was diagnosed and fixed...

Note to all, double, triple, and maybe quadruple check anything that could be touching something spinning on the front of the engine. In this case after many hours devoted to dropping the oil pan without pulling the engine I discovered that the hardline to the power steering pump had been bumped during engine install and was rubbing against the power steering pulley. Thankfully the back edge of the pulley is beveled so all that happened is there's a small shiny spot on the hard line and the back of the pulley.

tl;dr; 10 hours to drop the oil pan and put it back when all I needed to do was bend a hard line to not rub...

blech.

Comment

Working...
                      X