Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Shift Carrier for S52/ZF320 Swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Shift Carrier for S52/ZF320 Swap ?

I'm currently piecing together all the parts I will need to swap a S52 and ZF320 into my 1988 vert which is currently an automatic.

I recently purchased a UUC EVO3 short shifter to fit the E36 M3 ZF320.

Looking on the boards here there seems to be a consensus around using the DSSR for the same transmission which is 198 mm.

The inconclusive part is around which shift carrier (mount) to use.

There's lots of discussion about how the E36 M3 carrier fits but moves the shifter to the right and pinches the boot in 5th gear.

I called tech support at UUC and they also mentioned that the shift carrier may need to be modified but didn't have any further information as to what the mods were.

I noticed one member used an E46 carrier which didn't have the off-set but otherwise required cutting out some length and reattaching the halves.

Any experience or recommendations on a good solution ?

Thanks.
    1995 525i Bostongruen Metallic
    1995 525i Calypsorot
    1988 325ic Zinnoberrot
    2000 540i M-Sport Cosmo Swartz

In for answers...

Comment

Have you test fitted it?

I believe it should still be decent.
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

No. I actually haven't purchased the shift mount yet.

I was hoping to buy the best option first off instead of potentially buying yet again something I can't or don't use.
        1995 525i Calypsorot
        1988 325ic Zinnoberrot

Comment

Bump. Looking for more input ..............
          1995 525i Calypsorot
          1988 325ic Zinnoberrot

Comment

Check out a post from my build thread: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...6&postcount=35

I used P/N 25111221864 . This is used on E36 328 and M3 models that use the ZF320

Fifth gear is no problem. Nothing feels out of place or weird resistance.

For what it's worth, I did put a lot of new parts into the transmission/shifting aspects and did the detent pins.

EDIT: As for the UUC DSSR and short shifter. This was my order:

Ultimate Short Shifter - EVO3 fits '95-'99 M3, '96-'00 328, '01-'03 330 5-speed
            ADD DSSR?: DSSR198 (E36 M3/328 10/94 production date & later)
            E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

I have almost the same setup: 1990 vert, S52 / ZF transmission, UUC Evo 3 shifter.

I used the stock DSSR and stock shift carrier for an e36 328i / M3 and it sits perfectly centered in my car. It's not tilted and there is no issue with 5th gear whatsoever.
              Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Also, for the love of god; don't forget to put loc-tite on the tiny allen screws in the shift carrier for the EVO shifter.
                Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Trans Support

A. Which trans support did you use for the S52 with the ZF320 trans?
                  B. What driveshaft?
                  C. Any special Giubo?

Comment

Working...
                  X