Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fan are you guys using with the M42 rad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What fan are you guys using with the M42 rad?

It’s pretty close up there, just a little over 2”.

Thanks

I'm using a Spal 30100400. I had to trim the water pump shaft (where the fan clutch would thread onto). Its a tight fit.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

euro diesel fan: 11522243303

not using with M42 radiator though, stock e36 radiator.
      Attached Files
      RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the part numbers and will dig into both.

That euro fan is pretty slick. If it cools that turbo monster....

Nice looking engine bay!

Comment

80c thermostat, this fan and e36 radiator, coolant temp sits around 83c through most conditions, even on 35c or higher days

Comment

Awesome. I think I am going to give it a try. Is it much thinner than the standard fan?

Comment

I was planning on a Spal pusher fan with 80C thermostat. Now I am wondering if I should go for the diesel fan

Comment

Upon further research it looks like the diesel fan is too big for the m42 rad at 420mm. It looks like it would need to be closer to 380 mm. I might try to trim down the current fan. Will report back.

Comment

Only if you're planning to use the shroud

Comment

Using the m42 radiator it hits the sides and top of the rad.

Comment

I'm running the same diesel fan as ba114, but I mounted it on the back of the fan clutch as opposed to the front. It put it more in the middle between the engine and the radiator and gives a bit more clearance between the fan and top of the radiator. But I am also running a stock 325i radiator.
                      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

hmm, did you have to notch it to clear the vanos housing? I saw a picture of that somewhere in my searches.
                        Thanks

Comment

If you use a lower temp thermostat, you can rely on the aux fan alone if you still have it.

I ran two wires from the aux fan switch (you want to use the high speed setting) on the side of the radiator, along the engine bay, through the ecu hole and behind my dash above the radio into a fog light switch. Temps stay cool as long as im moving. If I hit traffic on a hot day, all I gotta do is hit the switch and the aux fan will keep temps cool even on near 100F days.

If you are tracking the car, I can understand going with a better setup. But unless you are on the track, the aux fan can keep up with a m42 rad. And setting it up to a switch on your dash takes 5 minutes.
                          Current:
                          1989 325i
                          1988 M3
                          1987 325ic
                          Past:
                          2001 330ci
                          2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                            hmm, did you have to notch it to clear the vanos housing? I saw a picture of that somewhere in my searches.
                            Thanks
                            You're right, I forgot I did notch it a bit on each blade. Once I installed it, I think I figured out it would have cleared the vanos anyway but it would have been tight. With it notched and mounted on the back of the clutch it has good clearance on both sides. I'll snap some pics when I get it back from paint.
                            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                              If you use a lower temp thermostat, you can rely on the aux fan alone if you still have it.

I ran two wires from the aux fan switch (you want to use the high speed setting) on the side of the radiator, along the engine bay, through the ecu hole and behind my dash above the radio into a fog light switch. Temps stay cool as long as im moving. If I hit traffic on a hot day, all I gotta do is hit the switch and the aux fan will keep temps cool even on near 100F days.

If you are tracking the car, I can understand going with a better setup. But unless you are on the track, the aux fan can keep up with a m42 rad. And setting it up to a switch on your dash takes 5 minutes.

Thanks, I am running AC and was testing in my garage the other night. I have the lower kick on switch but it was still getting to about 3/4 with AC on idling. I wonder what would happen with no thermostat at all. I will have to pull it and see what's in there. I could have a higher temp one.

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
                              You're right, I forgot I did notch it a bit on each blade. Once I installed it, I think I figured out it would have cleared the vanos anyway but it would have been tight. With it notched and mounted on the back of the clutch it has good clearance on both sides. I'll snap some pics when I get it back from paint.

That would be awesome. If you can get me a thickness on that fan I would appreciate that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X