Manual trans sloppy shifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual trans sloppy shifting?

My transmission is not as tight as it once was, when in gear I can move the lever an inch right or left. Dose any one know of a place I can get the bushings for the shift linkage, or just the part numbers?

Thanks for any help
    -Jason

Oh yeah, I did a search but didn't anything useful...
    -Jason

Comment

email Patrick at bmaparts.com and ask him for prices, you get a discount bc you're a member here too

also, now might be a good time to upgrade to a Z3 shift lever, which they apparently sell as a kit, it is sposed to reduce shift throw by around 30%, and fits

i think they run about $70 with the bushings and the rod
      -Billy

www.pbase.com/stylngle2003

Comment

could be the trans is just worn out to, had a couple like that, but most of them seem to just be the bushings and crap.

Comment

www.understeer.com has a great SSK. E36 328/M3 shifter is great SSK (even better than the Z3 shifter). i just picked one up for $20.

Comment

its important to remember that just because you swap in a SS like the Z4 or z3, you wont get rid of the play. Most of the time its the bushings and whatnot that are on the top of the transmission where the selector rod connects to top of the tranny. When I did my clutch/tranny swap I rebuilt all the bushings and put in all new spacers/clip and now its nice and tight. But putting in just a new shifter will not solve your problem. Its best if you can drop or lower the tranny.

Kyle
            1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
            DILLIGAF

Comment

I have a B&M short shifter in my car... this weekend I will drop the transmission and make sure it's the bushings. Thanks for the help
              -Jason

Comment

If you replace the little foam piece between the tranny selector and the selector rod, it will get rid of a lot of that place. Also replace the console bushings. Changing the lever won't do anything.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                X