Doin a tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doin a tranny swap

My manual shit the bed, putting a new one in refuse to pay 600 dollars to do so. Doing it myself with a friend, despite my dads telling me not to do so. Read marvins thing, and I have a haynes.

Any last words of advice for me? Anything I should be prepared for/purchase in advance.

Gettin dirty tomarrow after a job interview.

Sold it.

I'm in the slow process of swapping mine in an 87 325i..

My tips...

Breaker bars are awesome tools..

The best way to secure the engine from moving when removing parts connected to the crank of the engine is to secure the front of the crank with a deep well 22mm socket and ratchet.

PB Blaster is your best friend

Replace all you seals in the process to avoid having to do this again for a long time. www.bavauto.com has a very good clutch kit package with every seal you need if you plan on replacing the clutch call and ask for this package minus the disc and pressure plate.

The 24 inch ratchet extension is worth every penny BUT the MVP of the tools I bought was the 3/8 impact spring loaded universal joint. It doesn't flop around when trying to get the Torx socket on the tranny bolts. With the 24 inch extentsion and the impact U-Joint attachment I was able to remove all the tranny bolts in less than 45 mins.

Get up early.. 6am... because it's gonna be a long day.

Comment

Good news, my tranny may be ok. I broke the mounting plates on the tranny, and number 5 in the below picture. I am going to put it all back together when the parts come (got the bracket just need the little mouting plates/tabs) and hope I didnt fry my clutch gettin her home when it broke.

Sold it.

Comment

Replace your reverse light switch while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
          It doesn't take that long. Hell, in 6 hours, three of us swapped out a tranny. And we started at 11:00 at night!

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
            Originally posted by Ritalin Kid
            It doesn't take that long. Hell, in 6 hours, three of us swapped out a tranny. And we started at 11:00 at night!
            That's because you had 3 people and you were working frantically to get Jordans car ready for the morning. It should at least be an all day job at a normal pace.

Dave, good luck man hope your tranny is fine.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Thanks TJ. I am hoping for the best.

I wont have a tranny out in 6 hours no way.

I hate not having a car.

I got a ride in my moms boyfriends new 545i today. I did not like it.

Sold it.

Comment

Got my shit sorted out, a lot less work than I thought, replaced some bushings and stuff too, feels like when I first got my SSK which leaves me to belive things were half broken for a long time.

Sold it.

Comment

Edit: sorry - wrong thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X