Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my clutch slipping/giving notice?

Is my clutch dying?

I finally got the M6 back on the road on sunday where I replaced a whole bunch o' shit, including new brakes and a valve adjustment, new air hoses, etc. Just to brag to my brother-in-law I drove it around a bit to bed in the brakes and then I did a couple of 5000 rpm drops and left a few foot prints in his driveway... he would expect nothing less, nor I of him.

Anyway, I drove the car around for a few hours to diagnose everything, listening to every noise. When I came home I thought I would do one more triumphant burn out and when I did it this time all I smelt was burning clutch.

This is the second time this has happened. Does this mean the clutch is going? I'm running some really big tires in the back so I'm thinking that the hot clutch might not be able to break them loose. I do other tests like slamming on the gas in a low gear at 40 mph and watching the tach to see if there is any slipping, but everything seems to be fine there... just doesn't seem to like the high rpm drops when I have been driving it for 30 minutes or longer.

I did see a lot of cars at the local drag strip burning clutches on a hot day this summer and no one seemed to be worried about it.

You will destroy that clutch in no time driving it like that. Sell it and get a Mustang if thats how you want to drive. Upgrading the clutch is not going to fix it either because next in line is the guibo and center bearing, then the diff mount and all that. It's not a drag racing car. Please refer to my new avatar for further confirmation.
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
      You will destroy that clutch in no time driving it like that. Sell it and get a Mustang if thats how you want to drive. Upgrading the clutch is not going to fix it either because next in line is the guibo and center bearing, then the diff mount and all that. It's not a drag racing car. Please refer to my new avatar for further confirmation.
      Hmmm... that's funny... how people on this forum have done burnouts? Plus my previous 3 drivetrains (E36 325i bone stock with 120k miles on the odometer, E30 325i bone stock with 178k miles on the odometer, and an E30 M30 with lightweight flywheel and brand new clutch) never had a problem even after tens of thousands of miles (cummulative) of my abusive driving and plenty of high RPM drops... its what we do here in the sticks of Western PA...

I have inspected both the guibo and the center bearing and they are fine. I go to HPDE weekends and know how to drive a car. I'm just wondering why my clutch doesn't want to grab when its gotten hot. I'm guessing I should probably buy a BMW clutch feeler tool and check it out.

Thanks for your help though Adam... your input was super helpful:down:

and "Please refer to my new avatar for further confirmation."

Comment

I was hoping you'd get me back for the avatar thing. It's no fun when people don't notice the obvious stuff like that.

The BMW tool only tells you about disc thickness, it can't detect if the diphram has gone bad, if there is any glazing, or etc. Eventually the heat will cause the diaphram spring in the pressure plate to lose its force. But if it's only doing it when you have it super hot then overall the system is still fine at this point.

And remember, the M6 is MUCH heavier and has a lot more torque than any of your previous cars that you listed, plus you said yourself that it has pretty good tires, which translates to that much more shock load to the clutch as you're doing this...
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
          And remember, the M6 is MUCH heavier and has a lot more torque than any of your previous cars that you listed, plus you said yourself that it has pretty good tires, which translates to that much more shock load to the clutch as you're doing this...
          That thought had crossed my mind... glad we kissed and made up

Comment

Originally posted by uflnuceng
            That thought had crossed my mind... glad we kissed and made up
            I just did a clutch on an E30 M3 that went out due to that type of stuff. I was bitter because I had to do the job for free because it was the boss's nephew. :curse:
            Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by uflnuceng
              Hmmm... that's funny... how people on this forum have done burnouts?
              Just becasue everyone is doing it, doesn't make it right. It's thinking like this that wishes Jordan was back to get rid of all these type of people.

Comment

Jordan did burnouts in a church parking lot and put up videos.

Will
                RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                DaveCN = Old Man
                My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
                X