Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52 Turbo Build Help.

Hey people!
    I need helping on picking an actual turbo size and setup for my M52 Swap for my 87 ES. I am going to list what has been completed to the motor so far in hopes that y'all can have a better idea of what would be the best fit.

So far we have torn the motor all the way down and the block and head are at the machine shop. I found out yesterday #4 needs a sleeve which is a setback but glad I went this route.

Here is what I have compiled in my garage so far and would love some help filling in the blanks.

*Have*
    -VAC "Street Series"Internals Kit (does not include Valves or springs)
    -Mega Squirt Engine Management
    -3.73 LSD.
    -Mishimoto Radiator with 14in Spal Puller Fan
    -M50 Manifold with OD1 harness
    -Brand new 95 A poly bushing and mounts throughout.
    -Intercooler and piping will be custom

*Need Suggestions*
    -Cams
    -Injectors
    -Turbo
    -Springs
    -Valves (I have been told this doesn't need to be done but I have my Doubts)
    -Transmission (I would like to just beef up the 260 for now or is this a bad idea)

I'm open to feed back and don't mind taking my time to make sure thing are done the right way. Thanks in advance for the help.

First, what are your HP goals? What compression pistons come with that kit? What fuel do you plan on running?

Im in the middle of a similar build (no built motor though) and I am happy to help.

Id go with an e36 or e46 (6 speed) transmission. I have heard they are stronger than the 260.

Injectors will depend on fuel and HP goals. 60lb deka's should get you over 500whp on pump. e85 will need to go bigger. You also need to upgrade the in-tank.

Check out the RSI (goodntight) manifold. Its awesome for the price. You gotta fab a downpipe for it though (will depend on your turbo). There around 500 shipped (or more if you buy with a wastegate) and its a pretty proven design. Yea, there made overseas, but he puts his name and warranty on it.

Sounds like you are undecided on weather or not to build the head. Id either do it all (springs, valves, big cams, ported head)or just throw some s52 cams in and call it a day.

Turbo will strongly depend on the use of the car and what power you want to run. Check out the borgwarner s200sxe (up to 500whp) or s300sxe (up to 1k hp) turbos. They are REALLY cheap and seem to perform great. If you want more low end, go for a smaller turbo, or at least a smaller hotside on a bigger turbo. Really depends on what you want your power curve to look like. Area under the curve can make for a car that is much more fun than one with a high peak HP number. Id aim for a turbo with a 55-65mm inducer for starters. If you want to spend some money, the new gen 2 GTX garretts are pretty nice.

For engine management, Megasquirt is working on a PNP unit for the m5x/s5x platform. There are a few other PNP standalones including the one im running, the VEMS. A proven PNP unit can save alot of time and headaches over building a MS or even wiring in an already built unit.

Use a cutring HG or O-ring the block if you plan on running alot of boost.
    www.cp-e.com

1989 Zinno 325i m52 turbo coupe
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST, Daily Driver.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlevy7 View Post
      First, what are your HP goals? What compression pistons come with that kit? What fuel do you plan on running?

Im in the middle of a similar build (no built motor though) and I am happy to help.

Id go with an e36 or e46 (6 speed) transmission. I have heard they are stronger than the 260.

Injectors will depend on fuel and HP goals. 60lb deka's should get you over 500whp on pump. e85 will need to go bigger. You also need to upgrade the in-tank.

Check out the RSI (goodntight) manifold. Its awesome for the price. You gotta fab a downpipe for it though (will depend on your turbo). There around 500 shipped (or more if you buy with a wastegate) and its a pretty proven design. Yea, there made overseas, but he puts his name and warranty on it.

Sounds like you are undecided on weather or not to build the head. Id either do it all (springs, valves, big cams, ported head)or just throw some s52 cams in and call it a day.

Turbo will strongly depend on the use of the car and what power you want to run. Check out the borgwarner s200sxe (up to 500whp) or s300sxe (up to 1k hp) turbos. They are REALLY cheap and seem to perform great. If you want more low end, go for a smaller turbo, or at least a smaller hotside on a bigger turbo. Really depends on what you want your power curve to look like. Area under the curve can make for a car that is much more fun than one with a high peak HP number. Id aim for a turbo with a 55-65mm inducer for starters. If you want to spend some money, the new gen 2 GTX garretts are pretty nice.

For engine management, Megasquirt is working on a PNP unit for the m5x/s5x platform. There are a few other PNP standalones including the one im running, the VEMS. A proven PNP unit can save alot of time and headaches over building a MS or even wiring in an already built unit.

Use a cutring HG or O-ring the block if you plan on running alot of boost.
      That was my error! I forgot to add that wanted to build between the 450-500hp to the wheels. It will primarily driven on the street for fun. Might see 1 or two track days a year. Those manifolds look pretty solid and at this point I'm all about saving money as the internals cost a lot more than I was budgeting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksontheogre View Post

*Need Suggestions*
        -Cams
        -Injectors
        -Turbo
        -Springs
        -Valves (I have been told this doesn't need to be done but I have my Doubts)
        -Transmission (I would like to just beef up the 260 for now or is this a bad idea)

Stock cams, valves & springs will work fine for your power goals

I'd suggest a Precision 6266 turbo for your power goals, and fast spool

60lb injectors

The 260 with a good clutch setup will handle also that power

Good luck,

M20B28 Turbo

My Build Thread

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255839

Comment

Working...
        X