California wildfires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California wildfires

Took the day off work yesterday to run a humanitarian aid mission up to the North Bay.

It looks like Fallout up there. Thousands of houses burnt to ash, more than 15K people displaced.

But a Baur makes a good basket.

past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

past:
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:

Comment

good on you bud.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Wow, that's really shitty. Fires are no joke. I had to deal with one right before I moved and it is extremely stressful.
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

PG&E is fucking up all over the place, the wildfires above my house were caused by downed power lines too. i think they should be dissolved.

Comment

my dad lives in Santa Rosa, the fires are 3 miles from his house. His father-in-law and brother-in-law have both lost their houses. its terrible.
            '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

That's shitty as fuck. It's nice of you to help feed the guys fightin the fires. A couple of years ago my buddy was fighting a fire and he text me saying that all he wanted was a cigar and some whiskey. So I bought a few boxes of cigars and a ton of airline bottles and got to his camp. I handed them out and the guys were so greatful, to give a guy an hour to reset and relax does a ton of good.

Comment

i delivered to an evac site in petaluma first, and the salvation army second. i'm guessing the food/supplies mostly went to the displaced; not to discount the efforts of the boots on the ground, though.
                past:
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                  PG&E is fucking up all over the place, the wildfires above my house were caused by downed power lines too. i think they should be dissolved.
                  It's indicative of a broader, widespread reality in the US. Our utility grid, which most people completely take for granted, is ageing, insufficiently maintained and has woefully little money being invested into it. The whole thing is chock full of single points of failure. One big disaster, terror incident or simple "oops" is all it is going to take to remind everyone of a lot of things about human nature that we don't want to think about. Cornered animals are dangerous, and we're the most dangerous animal of them all.

Anyone got any info on the evacuation centers up there? I am down to buy and haul supplies up there to the fire fighters and the displaced. I think that Americans absolutely need to become more community-minded and understand that only we can help ourselves as the government and its institutions are increasingly unreliable.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Absolutely terrible. I know of a few members here who have lost their homes sadly. Had my parents donate a bunch of my old clothes yesterday, but that's not enough so I am trying to make a pile here in LA tomorrow, and send them up to my parents, to then take up for donation. If anyone's interested, let me know.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

We had a pretty rough fire season this year, but nothing like what you guys in Nor Cal have going on.... Good luck and hold in there the fall rains have to arrive sometime ..........

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                      It's indicative of a broader, widespread reality in the US. Our utility grid, which most people completely take for granted, is ageing, insufficiently maintained and has woefully little money being invested into it. The whole thing is chock full of single points of failure. One big disaster, terror incident or simple "oops" is all it is going to take to remind everyone of a lot of things about human nature that we don't want to think about. Cornered animals are dangerous, and we're the most dangerous animal of them all.

Anyone got any info on the evacuation centers up there? I am down to buy and haul supplies up there to the fire fighters and the displaced. I think that Americans absolutely need to become more community-minded and understand that only we can help ourselves as the government and its institutions are increasingly unreliable.
                      But Decay protests and supports those that use violence in opposition to such infrastructure projects
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                        We had a pretty rough fire season this year, but nothing like what you guys in Nor Cal have going on.... Good luck and hold in there the fall rains have to arrive sometime ..........

But Decay protests and supports those that use violence in opposition to such infrastructure projects
                        Ultimately, I think that most people agree on more than they might think in terms of actual outcomes. It's the methods by which to get there that people often seem to become very, very entrenched in (such as: increasing taxes to pay for infrastructure versus eliminating corruption and financial inefficiency so that existing taxes get into the infrastructure).

Anyway, this is a thread to discuss the wildfires and (hopefully) generate some community support for people that are getting hit with a load of badness right now.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          when they are in violation of native americans' sovereignty, yes.

this time, i went and blew half a grand of my own money on non-perishables and toiletries at costco and drove myself (and the girlfriend, she helped) into a firestorm zone because i wanted to make sure people whose houses burned to the ground at least had food, hydration, wet-wipes, etc.

are you *really* going to talk shit at me for that?
                          past:
                          1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                          1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                          1985 323i baur
                          current:

Comment

very nice
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

I think you know me well enough, that I applaud your humanitarian efforts, especially for what's happening in your own back yard. I think you also would realize though we continue to aggree to disagree on the DAPL, that that was a little barb I could not pass up in good fun ;)
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                              X