Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In need of some life advice...

Originally posted by Restoman View Post
    "Suck it up and get it done" heard that before. My dad was told by my mother when he wanted to quit college that she would not marry him without a degree. I was ultimately convinced by my wife to finish. Vagina.. the great motivator.

Thanks for the story about your nephew. I do have to say though that if I stick with it I'll take it head on, I'm actually currently only taking "gen ed" classes except for into to engineering which I'm doing fine it. It's small stuff like building a flash light circuit and that bores me because of how easy it is. Let me also say that regardless of the decision I make, that I DO at least plan on going to the community college to get a degree in business because I believe that it can be used anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lol.

(At restomans comment)
      Last edited by flyboyx; 10-13-2017, 10:16 PM.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Some good responses in here. I'll offer my take, as I am what one would consider a "pro" education individual and have most certainly benefited from my education throughout my career.

1) Not everyone needs a college degree. Having said that, not everyone has the opportunity to get one, either. And earning a college degree is something that no one can take from you. Think about the weight of that sentence for a moment. Even if you end up in a different field, with a different career 10-20 years from now, you will still have what you earned and it will benefit you in an employment situation. And it's much more difficult to quit now and go back later than it is to finish now.

2) The hardest part of college isn't the courses, it's teaching yourself time-management. My wife is a university professor and she sees it year after year with class after class - brilliant kids that don't put enough time into studying. I personally spent way too much time having fun my first year of college and had to claw my way back tooth and nail with extra classes, overloaded schedules, summer school and retake semesters. I was rejected from my program the first time and took more math & science classes and finally was admitted on reapplication the next year. If you aren't doing well, reach out to TAs, students, study groups, friends, etc. Seek out your professors and go to their office hours. Every week. Ask questions.

3) You are in the weed-out phase. Either make it or get weeded out. It's designed to be hard. Harder probably than your eventual coursework in your program. You won't start having fun and enjoying your classes til you make it out of the weed out.

4) Look at other majors before dropping out. Explore the other possibilities, maybe there's something else besides ME that you would really enjoy.

Final thoughts:
        I remember being incredibly jealous of my friends that entered the workforce out of high school - they had jobs and were making money. Buying cool stuff, while I was broke and a full time student. Thankfully I stuck with it and those friends are still earning about what they were 10 years ago and I've eclipsed them multiple times over. I didn't have money to go to college, I got by on scholarships. I ended up with a BS in CS and a year later, went back and got my Master's in CS as well. My wife is in her final year of her PhD and is now a college professor. Both of us have valued education over other things and have sacrificed a lot in order to make it happen - but we are now reaping the benefits of that sacrifice - living comfortably and driving E30 M3s
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

My son aced his AP engineering courses in HS and got early acceptance to a top 5 engineering school. Was on probation after 1 semester and out in 2...he just hated physics, calc etc etc. He got a job doing finance at a motorcycle dealership several years ago, now he runs the place...and has a Ducati in his living room lol

Everyone is different and as has been said...follow your inner voice and find what works for you. Ya never know how its going to turn out
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

As someone who is finishing up their degree right now I have mixed feelings about school. My best advice is school isn't for everyone and school isn't necessary in life. I have a job offer right now and it has nothing to do what my degree is or where I went to school. It has to do with who I knew (I actually met them through cars). However the only reason my best friend has his job is because his current boss went to the same school as him and they bonded over it. Life is weird and you just have to do what you think is right.
            My Garage
            2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
            1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
            1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
            Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Word
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NEOe30 View Post
                You didn't miss anything, no worries.
                I'm currently taking pre-calc along with advanced placement "Chem 1", a learning community, a peer led study for chem, and an intro to engineering class.

My chem and pre-calc are destroying me. Pre-calc not as much, I currently have a borderline C, but I'm well below failing my chem class. Asking around about a curve is a good idea, however my math grade already has a bump to it and I know there's no final curve.
                If it makes you feel better, Pre-Calc was harder in my opinion than Calc 1 especially if functions, their graphs, and Trig isn't something that is intuitive to you. Calc 2 is the killer, 3 not so much.
                My advice is to practice practice practice practice practice. Doing the homework is not enough. Learn your trig + identities or you won't make it in the Calc series, seriously.

Be happy that Chem is a one and done class - I didn't enjoy it either. With that said, buckle down and learn to love math because that's all it is from here on out and again, it should mostly be intuitive to you by the time you're finishing lower div and dabbling with upper div. The classes get much more interesting as you move on up especially if you enjoy physics.

I also heavily agree with what other's have said about time-management and study habits. You have to seriously discipline yourself.

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                Some good responses in here. I'll offer my take, as I am what one would consider a "pro" education individual and have most certainly benefited from my education throughout my career.

1)
                2)
                3)
                4)

Final thoughts:
                I agree with everything Joe said and honestly stories like this add to the motivation of finishing up my degree. It's my sort of Happy Ending that I'm after.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I was an okay student who graduated with a Master's in Mechanical Engineering. I completed undergrad with a 3.0 which required a great amount of effort on my part to bring it up. Yes, bring it up.

Most of college I worked for a car dealership and then a performance shop. When I moved to the performance shop I thought I was in heaven. I was working on exotics. Who else walks into work and has a Ferrari on their lift needing serviced? In addition to the service, the shop raced professionally in the Grand-Am Cup series (Now Tudor/IMSA) campaigning three Porsche 911's (two 996 and a 997) and sponsored a number of drivers in PBOC, BMWCCA, PCA, etc. I was traveling to races all over the country, driving the semi, servicing the cars, flying on private jets, and getting a few laps in (as a passenger) at some of the countries best tracks.
                  Living the dream right? Well, maybe.... After a couple of years at the shop I was ready to quite school and work full time for the performance shop. After all, my grades sucked anyway. I was talking with a good friend, the owner of the car dealership I had previously worked at, who gave me some sound advice.

What I discovered was this:
                  1. Although I was working around/on cars all day long, living the "dream life," I didn't have anything for myself. I spent all my time working on everyone else's stuff and when I got home the last thing I wanted to do was work on my own. When I did want to work on my projects, I either didn't have the time or the money.
                  2. I knew at some point I would "settle down" and I wanted to be able to support a family and the path I was on wouldn't allow for that.
                  3. I wanted to be the guy driving the race cars not working on or riding in them.

I chose to stay in school and haven't looked back since. Was it hard? Hell yes it was, school still sucked. Has it paid off? Many times over.....

My advice to you: Take an internship and see that work is nothing like school. Join the clubs and make like minded friends that you can study with. Do what makes you happy but take a hard look at your future and where you want to be and what you want to do. Choose a path that will get you there. School isn't for everyone and there are numerous other trades that are very respectable and high paying. But know that other paths may not be any easier...as with anything, there are and will be trade offs.
                  Last edited by sgtskid; 10-15-2017, 09:59 AM.
                  Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                  '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                  Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                  1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                  Check us out
                  Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

As someone who is really wanting to go to college for engineering I have so many questions I don't feel I can ask them without derailing this whole thread. But I'm 40 with not much education past 5th grade so it's probably too late for me and I'm only dreaming, I just don't know what else to go to college for, and not having a college education isn't allowing me to earn a sustainable living wage or even find full time employment at all anymore.
                    sigpic
                    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                      As someone who is really wanting to go to college for engineering I have so many questions I don't feel I can ask them without derailing this whole thread. But I'm 40 with not much education past 5th grade so it's probably too late for me and I'm only dreaming, I just don't know what else to go to college for, and not having a college education isn't allowing me to earn a sustainable living wage or even find full time employment at all anymore.
                      It sounds silly, but you're going to want to spend time building your foundational knowledge from reputable internet and print sources. One great place to go online is Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/); they have courses for all different subjects. Many colleges and universities have free courses online, too, so check out their school sites and look for those. One example is MIT (https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm).

And if you want to do it, you can. Remember: Fangio didn't start Grand Prix racing until he was about 40.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                        Remember: Fangio didn't start Grand Prix racing until he was about 40.
                        /thread
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

As someone who is really wanting to go to college for engineering I have so many questions I don't feel I can ask them without derailing this whole thread.
                          Originally posted by sgtskid View Post
                          School isn't for everyone and there are numerous other trades that are very respectable and high paying. But know that other paths may not be any easier...as with anything, there are and will be trade offs.
                          Originally posted by stonea View Post
                          Life is weird and you just have to do what you think is right.
                          Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          Everyone is different and as has been said...follow your inner voice and find what works for you. Ya never know how its going to turn out
                          Originally posted by IronJoe View Post

1)
                          2)
                          3)
                          4)

Final thoughts:

First off, thank you all for your input and stories.

Vincent- your tale makes me realize the opportunity that I have in front of me and gives me courage to move forward with everything I have, and not to take advantage of it.

sgtskid- I appreciate the support of the idea that there are other routes in life and they can turn out perfectly fine. I understand some of the trade offs between UNOH and a university degree, I need to question myself about what will make me happy in the long run.

stonea- Thanks for your support as well, life has definitely been a journey so far, and I can appreciate the "life is a roller coaster" mentality that you seem to mention. Hearing things along the lines of "it will be okay no matter your choice" definitely help me out in this tough situation.

jeffnhiscars- Similar to everyone else, thank you for the moral support that you offered. The inner voice is strong on this topic, but my logical brain seems to be arguing with it.

IronJoe- Thank you for your story, it's definitely motivating to push forward and grind it out, I'm glad that your education has lead you and your wife to become successful in life. Although I wouldnt mind an e30 m3, I'm more of an e92 m3 guy myself ;)

Everyone, thank you for all the messages, support, life advice, and anything else that you had to offer. As I said I plan to finish up this semester with all that I have and see how I stand. I am unsure still if I will take a second semester, it will likely depend on my pass/fail grades in my important classes. After taking a trip home this weekend and seeing all the support from the forum, I have hit a second wind and hope that it will carry me until the middle of December. I will continue to read and reply to anyone who may choose to offer comments or advice on this thread and it's always appreciated. I had so many posts on this thread over the weekend, so I'm sorry if I didn't reply, but I can assure you I read them all. Thanks again.

P.S. - I got to tinker with the e30 a little while I was home, and the block and transmission are ready for removal. I'm probably going to clean up the engine bay a bit and paint up the new engine going in to make everything look pretty. i'm planning on fixing and updating my build thread soon. Sadly I don't have any significant time off until Christmas, and any time that I do have of will be used to catch up anyways. That being said,
                          IF ANYONE HAS A NON VANOS M50 BLOCK/ASSEMBLY FOR SALE I'LL BE HAPPY TO CONSIDER PURCHASING IT.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                            One great place to go online is Khan Academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/);
                            That is exactly what I have been doing. I've worked myself up to 5th grade math on Khan Academy over the last month or so, spending a few days a week on it (back at it today after lunch). Once I get to like a high school level I think I would like to try community college again, but it's going to be a hard road with the school almost 50 miles away and still not having any clue what to go for on top of my age and health/cognitive troubles. I have already failed to achieve a career in any of the things I am passionate about (cars and music/audio/video) and so far I haven't found anything interesting that college offers (besides engineering, which seems way out of reach). But I have to do something, I need a way to support myself into old age, I cannot expect to retire.

Thanks for the encouragement.
                            sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by NEOe30 View Post
                              First off, thank you all for your input and stories.

Vincent- your tale makes me realize the opportunity that I have in front of me and gives me courage to move forward with everything I have, and not to take advantage of it.

Good, I see a lot of kids squandering opportunities I would have only dreamed to have access to (not to say that you appear to be squandering anything). Not only was college not an option for me when I was young, I wasn't even able to really go to high school, and I missed out on so much not only educationally but socially as well.

Be careful with trying to do "what feels right." That was how I lived my life and the results were anything but desirable. I could have really used some -ANY- kind of direction when I was young, I was on my own with limited positive influence.
                              Last edited by Vincent Brick; 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good, I see a lot of kids squandering opportunities I would have only dreamed to have access to (not to say that you appear to be squandering anything). Not only was college not an option for me when I was young, I wasn't even able to really go to high school, and I missed out on so much not only educationally but socially as well.

Be careful with trying to do "what feels right." That was how I lived my life and the results were anything but desirable. I could have really used some -ANY- kind of direction when I was young, I was on my own with limited positive influence.
                                This is some of the wisest, most insightful advice I have read anywhere on the Internet. Thank you for that. I wish you well, Vincent.
                                '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                                X