Driveshaft vibration 2600-2800 rpm in 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveshaft vibration 2600-2800 rpm in 2nd gear

So I've developed this Driveshaft vibration 2600-2800 rpm in 2nd gear. Or I think it's the driveshaft. What do you think it is, will it get worse or cause other problems, and How hard is it to fix/replace?

Welcome to the world of CSB replacement. Center support bearing, its at the middle of your driveshaft, about a $40 part. However, the process will take about 1.5 hours to replace it...remove exhaust, driveshaft, etc.

Comment

CSB replacement

Make sure you mark the driveshaft before separating the front and rear. Otherwise, if you do not line it back up right, you will have a much worse condition and (like me) trash your brand new CSB within a month.

I just removed mine without removing the exhaust. You do have to unbolt the rear muffler straps and the rear hanger, that will drop it enough for you to separate the driveshaft and take it out.

ALSO, preload your CSB when you install it. This means, when you go to screw in the 2x 13mm bolts that hold it to the chassis, move the CSB along the mounting holes forward about 5 mm (that's all).

The critical part is making sure your 2 parts are lined up right, even 1 spline of difference can cause unwanted vibration, and soon down the road, ANOTHER replacement.

Good luck.
      BimmerheadBri
      '86 325 (eta)

Comment

Re: CSB replacement

Originally posted by BimmerHeadBri
        Make sure you mark the driveshaft before separating the front and rear.
        Originally posted by BimmerHeadBri
        I just removed mine without removing the exhaust. You do have to unbolt the rear muffler straps and the rear hanger, that will drop it enough for you to separate the driveshaft and take it out.
        It takes some weird positioning, I wish I had removed the exhaust.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Re: CSB replacement

Originally posted by eightyfoure
          It takes some weird positioning, I wish I had removed the exhaust.
          I find it to be pretty easy to do by just dropping the rear of the exhaust. Certainly saves you a shitload of time and extra work as well, pretty much cuts the job in half.

Matt, be aware that a bad CSB is not the only cause of driveshaft vibration, it could also be one or both of your u-joints gone bad. In the case of my car when I first did the driveshaft, it was both.

Comment

I just bought a new CSB and guibo, and I will install my new exhaust afterwards. I wouldnt have thought about marking the driveshaft thanks for that tip.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907
              I wouldnt have thought about marking the driveshaft thanks for that tip.
              No flame intended here whatsoever, but it boggles my mind that some people attempt to do jobs such as removing and separating a driveshaft without knowing that the 2 halves have to be put back together exactly.

No offense intended toward you.

Comment

If you are changing the CSB, change the guibo at the same time.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

My car also needs the same Center Drive Shaft Bearing - please continue to post your experiences/tips and any pictures. Thanks. Marvin.
                  '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                  '86 325es * SOLD *
                  '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

FYI a friend helped me look at my driveshaft and it turns out the CSB is bad the rear U-joint is shot--which may have been what caused the CSB to fail. Was going to attempt the de-installl and re-install of a used one -- but after reading threads on what a pain it is...I'm not so sure may need to just bite the bullet and take it too a shop.
                    '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                    '86 325es * SOLD *
                    '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

There is a wealth of info already posted, MANY times. I have to do mine, searching for 5 mins taught me everything I needed to know.

Comment

Is the drive shaft pre-marked to make sure it's lined up correctly or do you have to mark it before hand?

Comment

no factory marks. ujoints cannot be replaced without some major equipment. buy a rebuilt shaft and call it a day. or, play you cards on a used shaft that "seems" to be good. I got lucky on a used shaft, but many others do not

Comment

What does driveshaft vibration feel like exactly? My car vibrates right now (no spring pads and worn out rear bushings).
                            Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

mine was really really bad with broken csb and missing trans mount..... but accellerating would bang, coasting would vibrate the whole car, the shifter shook like mad

Comment

Working...
                              X