Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Columbus meet fluffer job

Yo.

Since I figure I might want to have a running car before the actual Columbus meet, I'm tossing this out there. Any interest in a meet/booze/bitchwork wrenching job out there? I gotta yank an m20 head off, which means the thrill of removing exhaust headers which haven't left the side of the head since the factory. I figure with all the wonderful ohio corrosion, this will be damn near impossible. Any suckers...er, helping hands want to contribute to the cause?

I've got a garage, beer, grill, food, lube, etc, so hey, it could be a blast. I'll let you ride in the van too.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Copious amounts of PB Blaster are your friend, Chuck.

My short time bitch 325es had the original headers on it and it was a fucking rustbucket. An overnight soak and they were smooth like buttah coming off.

My dance card is pretty full. When you going to do this?
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
      Copious amounts of PB Blaster are your friend, Chuck.

My short time bitch 325es had the original headers on it and it was a fucking rustbucket. An overnight soak and they were smooth like buttah coming off.

My dance card is pretty full. When you going to do this?
      Some weekend(s) between now and April 22nd, preferably before the 14th. It's been cold, and I've been hella busy/lazy with work, school, being a dumbass getting engaged, and everything else.

-Charlie
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

I'm in depending on which weekend

Comment

congrats on the engaged bit. If I get my roll bar and harness install this weekend, (waiting for some hardware from Summit) then the next couple of weekends are open for me. 24th is ok, but 25th I signed up for parking lot racing.

You doing NASA the April 21-22 weekend?
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

^Dave were is the racing going on? I would like to come watch if not in KY or FL

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post

You doing NASA the April 21-22 weekend?
              If the car is back together by then, I plan on the 2-3 day deal.

-Charlie
              FYYFF

Comment

I've got a garage, beer, grill, food, lube, etc
                Maybe it's the copious amounts of brake cleaner I just inhaled, but I'm tempted to make the drive out there for all of the items on that list.
                '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post
                  ^Dave were is the racing going on? I would like to come watch if not in KY or FL
                  Mid-Ohio.

I am thinking about going for HPDE - maybe Friday only.
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

Weather looks like it's supposed to suck this weekend. Anyone up for the weekend after next?

-Charlie
                    FYYFF

Comment

March 17th then?

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Chuck, sometimes it is easier to pull the head out with the headers still attached but unbolted from the down pipes. Either way lots of PB blaster, start PBing now until you begin.
                        I will be at Mid-Ohio that weekend running GTS 1 race group.
                        Kevin Gibson
                        90 325is

Comment

Kevin is right about that. And I should correct what I said above - it was the header to downpipe nuts that came off easily for me.

Although I pulled the head on my parts car last night and all but one of the header to head nuts came right off for me without PB blaster. I think I just got lucky? Of course, I also did this with the head out of the car and could get a good amount of torque on them more easily.

Why not go the Dropped325i route and just cut a hole in your firewall?

I could do the 17th.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by racingwoody View Post
                            Chuck, sometimes it is easier to pull the head out with the headers still attached but unbolted from the down pipes. Either way lots of PB blaster, start PBing now until you begin.
                            I will be at Mid-Ohio that weekend running GTS 1 race group.
                            Which weekend?

I'm looking to get this done either the weekend of March 10th or the 17th. I'm hoping to be on track for the first NASA event in April.

17th might be good, My TV isn't huge, but F1 is on later that night. Combine that with booze and a grill and it could be a good day.

-Charlie
                            FYYFF

Comment

I would be down for the 17th. Are you gonna want/need any special tools you dont have for the job? I dont think youll need any but... you know.

Will
                              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                              DaveCN = Old Man
                              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
                              X