BBS RS 003 lip questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS RS 003 lip questions

So I'm rebuilding a set of RS 003's and can't for the life of me find a set of replacement lips. I'm not changing any sizes so the original 1" lips are what I need.

First does anyone know where to buy aftermarket 16" X1" 30hole 1" lips?

Second are the 003 16in faces the same diameter as the 15" faces? If so could a set of 15" to 16" step up lips work?

The car is partially a "restoration" project so keeping the wheels as original as possible but at this point I'd settle for the lips looking slightly different.
    89 325iX - stock but overflowing with factory extras
    85 324tdt -frankentrimmer

Black Forest Industries
    Tunershop - though it doesn't look like they have 16" 30 bolt, may be worth reaching out?
    Not sure about the step ups.
    I'm sure someone else can help on that one.

Comment

Yeah black forest only does 34 hole. They have 15" to 16" step up kits but again not sure if that'll work

Comment

Sorry, I didn't look deep enough.
        GL

Comment

No problem. Thanks

Comment

BBS RS001 and RS003 use the exact same centers except for the stamping on them. They also are both 30 hole instead of the more common 34 hole found on all other BBS RS wheels. The main difference is RS001's are 15's and the RS003's are 16's, the 16's use a double step lip. So technically, you can convert your 15" RS001's to 16" using RS003 parts, which I'm currently in the process of doing.

Most people widen their 003's so if you're patient enough, you'll eventually find a set. However, I opted to use OZ lips which require the lips to be machined be 1-2mm. The lips are almost indentical, most will never notice the difference. But if you want to use originals to be able to say that they're all original then by all means go for it. I personally don't feel like it'll decrease their value or anything if you don't.

RS001s are 15x7 ET25 1" lip and 5.5" Barrel

RS003s are 16x7 ET25 1" lip and 5.5" Barrel

This is what you're looking for if you decide to go new.
            At Black Forest Industries we manufacture performance parts for your VW / Volkswagen, Audi, BMW, Porsche, and Mini but we also provide maintenance repair parts as well. Keep your ride on the road, make it faster, or make it look better than it did on the showroom floor!
            sigpic

Comment

I just got my hands on a set of original RS003, never been split. The lips are clearly showing their age, with the finish etching off in spots.
              No biggie I thought, since I was planning to widen the rears anyway.

But, as OP here found out, gettign a hold of new 30-hole 16" lips is not so straight forward it seems...
              I've emailed BFI to see if they do offer anything beyond the step-up kits, which come with the barrels, which I don't need/ want to pay for.

edit; BFI staff replied quickly, and offered to compile a 'custom' set, i.e. front lips only + lips & barrels for wider rears; so far appears to be the best option

Are there any alternatives out there?

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
              I opted to use OZ lips which require the lips to be machined be 1-2mm. The lips are almost indentical, most will never notice the difference.
              Can you elaborate on this?
              What was the machining work involved?
              Where did you source the OZ lips from?
              Last edited by NufnSus; 01-16-2018, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The bolt holes on the OZ lips line up, however the center bore is ~1.4mm too small for the BBS faces.
                30 hole 16" OZ lips can be sometimes found used,they came on 16" OZ/MSW Vega, Fittipaldi and other models.
                Check ebay.de or .co.uk maybe?

Example of 30 hole 16" Vega wheels

Last edited by zoo; 01-23-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X