S54 Brake Booster Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Brake Booster Solution

Just thought I would share a tip. Several years ago I swapped an s54 into an e28. During that swap I found a Porsche 924 booster in the junkyard that was a perfect match for the e28 from a bolt pattern in the firewall and for the master cylinder. I sent it off for rebuild and it worked great on the e28 paired with a 7 series master. Fast forward to today and I’m swapping an s54 into an e30 318 touring. I ordered a 924 booster new for $150ish dollars and no way would it fit...and it just seemed bigger than I remember. A little investigation turns up that early 924 has a smaller brake booster so I jumped on car-part.com and found a junkyard booster from a 1977 924....it was like $40 delivered and sure enough it was significantly smaller. Fits perfectly with the s54... no mods other than to turn the threads farther down the shaft and cut to length. Sent it off to power brake exchange in San Jose for a rebuild for approx $150 and I’m in business. Not sure the cut off year but the 77 for sure has the smaller booster. Will try to post a pic of the 2 924 boosters side by side and just for perspective the larger booster is e21 (ish) size. Hope this helps
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ChuckNE; 11-03-2017, 10:06 PM.

If any s50/2 swapers need a 924/e21 size booster it’s for sale....pm me

Comment

Hey, that's great! How do you like the feel of the brakes with this booster?
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

On the e28 I had big brakes and 7 series master cylinder...the brakes worked great

Comment

Do you have a p/n? I'm trying to fit ITBs on a 24v E30 and this may do the trick.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

No idea of part # but included another shot of booster installed and if you look close you can see the clearance...not much but should eork
            Attached Files

Comment

Nice, I did not know about this option and it seems to fit nicely. Im sure people will complain about the lack of vac assist like the E21/2002/944 but at least its some assist.

A proper sized master on there sould give reasonable pedal feel.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Any idea on the approximate dimensions of this booster? Diameter, thickness, etc?

What about the spacing between the studs on the back that go through the firewall? This should be the same for all e30 boosters I believe. I'm curious if any of the generic ones from summit or elsewhere would work.

Comment

Great to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  /// MTech Belts ///

S52 BUILD

M3 VERT BUILD

Comment

Do you know the size on the booster? How wide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Onwer of
                    1987 e30 325e soon to be s50
                    1991 e30 318i four door
                    1994 e34 530i 5speed
                    05 e53 X5 4.4i fully loaded

Comment

Anyone else try this?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                      X