Anyone else daily driving on Alpinas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else daily driving on Alpinas?

I've been daily driving on 15x7 E21 Alpinas for a several years now, with an 80 mile daily commute. Several were bent when I got the car they came on, one so bad it needed repaired immediately, and if the others didn't need straightened then they do now. I know they are soft wheels, and the roads in my city are known for being very bad, but the issue I'm having is in literally years of searching I have not been able to find any other wheel I think would look good on the car that isn't equally expensive/rare/unobtainable (or a fake multi-piece which I just can't live with).

Bottom line, am I nuts for wanting to try and keep dialing driving on these? They have been on my car for over 10 years and I really feel they make the look of the car (in sig), but at the same time I can't help but feel these wheels belong on someone's legit Alpina or clone, or at least someone's toy that doesn't see daily, high-mile use. I ordered a set of the 15x8 Tire Rack race wheels, but I have never been more underwhelmed by a wheel purchase in my life and hope to only use them temporarily while I either straighten/refinish the Alpinas or find a more desirable replacement.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Chunky tyres and avoid potholes.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      Chunky tyres and avoid potholes.
      That's been my action so far.

I don't actually know for certain though if the wheels have gotten any more bent during my time with them, or if that was just from previous decades of use. From what I understand the 15" Alpina wheels were manufactured no later than 1983 (not sure if that is true), and supposedly this particular set has seen 160mph on the Autobahn, so they could have A LOT of serious use before they got to me.

The upside of soft wheels is that they are easy to repair with lessened risk of cracking. The guy who straitened the one for me said he never would have been able to get away with what he did if it were a modern Chinese wheel.

Also vaguely worried about theft, though I don't park in sketch areas often and I figure most wheel thieves aren't hip to what they even are.

Surely I am overthinking all of this. I do that.
      sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

yup over thinking it.

Each to the own, but in my oppinion things are meant to be used. wheels sitting on a shelf or in someones collection are a waste.

And anything can be fixed if you pay enough. I just had some 1987 zender speedline wheels fixed for my e30, bent to shit scuffed up rims, even a few cracks. They required welding and bashing and re-rolling by the local shop but for $500 for them and some polishing in my garage they look pretty much brand new again. Ready for another 30years of abuse.

Leave them on the car, keep enjoying them and when the time comes get them fixed and keep on truckin'.

Comment

^^^^ I've pretty much decided to go ahead and do that, unless I can find something else I legitimately like. They're already off the car because the tires are shot, on loaner wheels now and will be installing the Tire Rack wheels next week when they arrive. I'll rock those for a bit while I have the Alpinas straightened and then maybe switch back and forth or whatever.

My plan was to get something cheaper than the Alpinas so I can put that money toward obtaining camber adjustment so I'm not burning through tires so fast, but it looks like that is backfiring on me.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            yup over thinking it.

Each to the own, but in my oppinion things are meant to be used. wheels sitting on a shelf or in someones collection are a waste.

Leave them on the car, keep enjoying them and when the time comes get them fixed and keep on truckin'.
            Words of wisdom here. If you like them, drive them into the freaking ground, repair and repeat.
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Alpina wheels are a soft wheel. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy them. Just get them straightened when they need it.

Comment

Working...
              X