A Way to Get That PITA of a Fan Clutch Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Way to Get That PITA of a Fan Clutch Off

You are going to either love or hate this.
    FTW

You bolt one end to the fan clutch and one end to the chassis. Now use your 32mm wrench and go to work. Works in a minute. Mind you this is a trick that works best if you have already removed the radiator and hoses. Good Luck!
    pic here

Oh yea, don't let the #of posts fool you, I'm a proud product of Rutgers U. Engineering lmao. Anyways, so there I am doing my timing belt, and I got stuck at the fan clutch. Wacking it with the hammer got me nowhere, and if you are using the e30 as your dd like me, you need to may want to get this job done in a weekend.
    Last edited by khalild; 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM. Reason: fixed broken img

A trick that we use in the shop. A 32MM wrench, and a Hammer. Place the wrench so it is angled slightly towards the Drivers seat, and hit it hard with a hammer. The Nut will spin free.

Comment

^ that's some high-tech shizzle right there , why oh why did I never think of that ... hammer .. dammit all those hours spent using my HAND as a hammer ... but use an actual HAMMER to hammer ...

God damn it, you're a god damn genius! this is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. you must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Listen up, people... USE THE HAMMER
      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Sometimes, the hammer doesnt work right away. This method works.... Or a thin pipe wrench. Trust me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Comment

Instead of the strapping, you can use a flathead/prybar/whatever to brace one of the fan bolts against the fan clutch nut to stop it from moving. Then bring out the deadblow.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Rag and big channel locks on pulley. DONE!
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
            1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
            1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
            1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
              ^ that's some high-tech shizzle right there , why oh why did I never think of that ... hammer .. dammit all those hours spent using my HAND as a hammer ... but use an actual HAMMER to hammer ...

God damn it, you're a god damn genius! this is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. you must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Listen up, people... USE THE HAMMER
              And you think I'm joking...

Comment

when i removed mine, I used a 32mm bicycle headset wrench and a mallet. they're thin and cheap. mine was about $10, iirc.

Comment

Oh and don't forget its left hand thread hahaha
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

1989 BMW 325i SOLD
                  1998 BMW Estoril Blue e36 M3/4/5 SOLD
                  1987 BMW 325 (The Piece) SOLD
                  1991 BMW 318is S52 swap (The Beast) Now Driving Project Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=234207

Comment

Originally posted by BrassDrummer View Post
                    A trick that we use in the shop. A 32MM wrench, and a Hammer. Place the wrench so it is angled slightly towards the Drivers seat, and hit it hard with a hammer. The Nut will spin free.
                    that's what I always do. works every time. I've never even needed a special thin wrench either.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by BrassDrummer View Post
                      And you think I'm joking...
                      No I know you're not joking , I thought you were sarcastic 'cause that's the most obvious solution in automotive mechanical history ...

(that was a Forrest Gump reference in my OP btw......... )
                      ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

sawzall wins the battle.
                        1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
                        1990 325i 24v
                        1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Comment

Originally posted by Xat1cZ View Post
                          No I know you're not joking , I thought you were sarcastic 'cause that's the most obvious solution in automotive mechanical history ...

(that was a Forrest Gump reference in my OP btw......... )
                          Haha, I went back and re-read it as it should have been read haha.

Comment

you don't need a special thin wrench for this, a normal 32mm works fine and you don't have to worry about it breaking when you hit it with a hammer. Mine i just jammed a screw driver in between the bolt heads and gave the wrench a good slap.
                            "I wanna see da boat movie"
                            "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

i just bought the wrench set from fleabay that contains both the fan clutch wrench and the tool for holding the pully for 38 bucks for both.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X