Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Settled: Road debris totaled my 1988 325iS, how to proceed with insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settled: Road debris totaled my 1988 325iS, how to proceed with insurance?

SEE post #69 on page 5 for the final update on the car now that the claim has been settled.

Last night on my way home on highway 880 passing through Oakland, CA I hit some road debris dropped from the truck out in front of me. Among the debris was steel scrap, car parts, and 30+ feet of steel cable that got wrapped around my wheels at freeway speed. The cable tightened up and stopped both passenger wheels Im guessing, only way to describe the damage. What I am seeing is the front passenger strut tower torn from the car, the wheel well behind the fender dented and pushed up and in from the wheel and tire smashing into it. Also, when the cable tightened down and ran out of slack, my roof buckled, probably from the force of the cable stopping my car traveling at 65mph. The cable cut both passenger side tires and locked the wheels while on the highway, thankfully I ended up clear of traffic and just off the highway, now its time to look at how I potentially can be reimbursed from AAA.

I havent touched to car really since it came home on the flat bed, waiting for the adjusters to com out and inspect the car. Im hoping to salvage the M Tech II kit and the e30 M3 front strut housings and rear trailing arms (and all the GC suspension stuff). One BBS wheel is destroyed from a huge bend in the barrel, hopefully the other 3 made it.The front passenger control arm is bent. Other things I have noticed, the rear sub frame is torn from the little bracket that ties the sub frame into the car. The rear wheels are also pointed in different directions. Fender and passenger door are tweaked, I cant open the door or shut the hood anymore.

Im hoping to get a little advice with this claim. Does anyone have experience with insurance and this type of thing? Unavoidable road debris from some asshole with an unsecured load of scrap metal? (There was scrap metal all over, I hit more than just the steel cable also). Car is totaled, I dont see it being possible to repair the damage.

My concern is that I have 5 figures into this 1988 325iS and so many hours, countless, like many of us do on R3V.

I carry comprehensive insurance from AAA, no collision however as I was advised against it from my agent back when I made the policy. Apparently road debris falls under both comprehensive or collision, its up to the discretion of the insurance adjuster to determine how to classify and proceed with things.

Thanks for the help guys.
    I would appreciate if we could avoid the "how much for _________ shipped to XXXXX" questions.

Pictures:

Last edited by RCM3; 03-24-2014, 08:11 PM.
    -Ryan
    05/87 Henna M3
    04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Fuck
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

I had to removed the front bumper, valence and splitter to get it onto the tow truck, thats why theyre removed in the pics, the splitter was on the ground when I came to rest. I was "skidding" on the skid plate when I lost the front right wheel, havent checked on the engine yet.
      -Ryan
      05/87 Henna M3
      04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Speachless. Glade you're ok.

Comment

Holy fuck man, so sorry.

I'm assuming, with all that going on, you didn't notice if the truck was from some business, or plate # or anything. I'd be on the warpath.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by graveshaker View Post
            Speachless. Glade you're ok.
            Thanks, ya me too. The skidding direction of the car was basically out of my hands. Im glad it went towards the shoulder and not into traffic...
            -Ryan
            05/87 Henna M3
            04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
              Holy fuck man, so sorry.

I'm assuming, with all that going on, you didn't notice if the truck was from some business, or plate # or anything. I'd be on the warpath.
              I didnt get any info. It was one of those moments where things didnt feel real, happened so fast.
              -Ryan
              05/87 Henna M3
              04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

My only advice: hire an appraiser and have the value of the car determined by an independent third party.

Comment

Well yeah that car isn't worth it to fix.

Get a couple different quotes and shoot for the average. These quotes shouldn't be from the shop your insurance will send you to.
                  Back to my roots

Comment

Wow , That could have ended in an entirely different way.. Id say you are very lucky. Sorry to see your car trashed but glad youre ok to fight the insurance company
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Sorry to hear about your car, glad you're safe. Wish I had some sage advice to give you on handling the insurance claim, but I can only say best wishes on getting everything you're due.
                      sigpic
                      January 2012 COTM

Comment

damn. clicked this thread expecting a bent valance or something. Most people would total a car for a door ding these days - that thing however, is toast. :(

if they can find the company/truck that lost that load, they'd get the shit fined out of them.. but good luck with that.

glad you made it out OK with no wheels or steering. hope the skid plate at least saved the motor!
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

All in all must have been a wild ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Damn.

Glad you are okay.
                            Current:
                            1989 325i
                            1988 M3
                            1987 325ic
                            Past:
                            2001 330ci
                            2001 M3

Comment

Ryan is one of the nicest guys i have met in the e30 community why do bad things happen to good people?

Comment

Working...
                              X