Soft top care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft top care?

I have recently replaced my top and was wondering what I can do to take care of it. I've seen brushes to brush it off but any products to apply to it to keep it in tip top shape? Or do I just wash it off with water and let it dry?

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

I occasionally use a product called RaggTopp on the fabric and a product for plastic windows that I can't remember what it is called. Maybe a meguiars product.
    I think the best thing that can be done for it though is to park it indoors as much as possible.

Comment

There some commercial boating products made for marine use that are very good on canvas which is the same family of fabric our tops are made. They claim to water resist and condition.

I cannot remember the product I use because I put it in a generic spray bottle. Research and give a product a try. Report back....... G.

Comment

I use raggtopp, and it works pretty well. I bought the whole kit with the cleaner, horse hair brush, and sealer, though you really only need the sealer. You want to reapply every 3 months or so, and one can will last you three seasons. The idea is you tape off everything you don't want sprayed with newspaper and coat the top twice, then let it dry in the sun.

It helps prevent UV ray damage and makes water bead off, which means water is less likely to soak into the top and leak through the seams, particularly at the two front corners.

As per the bmw owners manual you don't want to wash the top as often as the car; only every 3rd or 4th time (depending on how often you wash the car),

There are two types: one for fabric, and one for canvas. Make sure to get the type for fabric tops

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Another vote for Raggtopp. It's what my local Volvo / Porsche / Maserati dealer used to sell. It's good enough for those guys - it's good enough for me. It really beads the water when first applied.

And like DasDelphin, I rarely wash my top. Granted, the 'vert sits in the garage except for sunny days, and I've gotten real good at washing it with the top down (the black paint shows dust one hour after washing).

The neighbors think I'm nuts ... I know I am.

The E30 collection:
          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

yeah I was looking around, and think I'm going to order the Raggtop stuff.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

RaggTop kit.

Get it very clean. I vacuum and wash it prior to application of the sealer.

I have also used a fabric specific rain and stain repellent product .. can be found at an outdoors store to refresh camping gear.

The plastic window I have polished back to life using a Porter Cable.

Once cleaned and protected, keep it out of the elements.

Also a good time to treat the rubber bits with a good clean and conditioning product like 303.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I've never tried it but I've heard good things about Renovo soft top cleaner and ultra proofer. Although it is a helluva a lot more expensive than the Raggtopp stuff!

Comment

BMW makes a cleaner and protector, I've used it for a few years and like it a lot.

/fanboy

Comment

Anyone have any preferences for cleaning/UV protecting the plastic rear window?

Comment

Found this video when I looked up raggtop. Looks like the 303 stuff keeps the water off alot better but not sure as far as UV protection

When I bought my convertible last year, the top couldn't repel any water at all. It'd absorb even the smallest amount of rain. So, naturally, I looked online...
                      http://www.DeluxeCarStorage.com
                      87 325ic - Early ACS Tribute
                      90 325i MT2 - R.I.P

Seller Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380908

Comment

Tough to protect the window from UV. Products I use which provide UV protection would smear the visibility.

Window cover .. garage queen it.
                        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                          Anyone have any preferences for cleaning/UV protecting the plastic rear window?
                          I use the Griot's plastic cleaner on mine, but I don't know if it has an UV inhibitors.

Comment

^ That's good to know. I'm torn between searching for an oem window cover (saw one on here 4 days ago for $40) or saving my money and throwing a towel over the window.

Comment

My vert stays in the garage and I put a hardtop on for the winter but I picked up the rear window cover and threw it in the trunk just in case I ever need it. I got lucky and found a new "out of the box" rear window cover on ebay for $35.

Comment

Working...
                              X