Remote reservoir shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote reservoir shocks

Is there anything out there for IXs? RWD e30s have this. http://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensio...amper-Set.html and before anyone says Moton https://www.ecstuning.com/b-moton-pa...1/m505104~mtn/ I seriously doubt that a kit that fits RWD e30s fits IXs. I think ECS is just dumb, let's be realistic here.

Originally posted by Rules I'm working with
    Any dampers may be used. Damper attachment points on the body/frame/subframe/chassis/suspension member may not be altered. This installation may incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting block (bearing mount). No damper may be capable of adjustment while the car is in motion, unless fitted as original equipment. MacPherson strut equipped cars may substitute struts, and/or may use any insert. This does not allow unauthorized changes in suspension geometry or changes in attachment points (e.g., affecting the position of the lower ball joint or spindle). Threaded collars and camber plates are allowed.
    Last edited by Kershaw; 12-25-2017, 07:48 AM.
    AWD > RWD

What would be the benefit of running remote reservoirs in this application? Just curious
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

The rears are identical to rwd E30's.

It's the front strut housing that are different.
      Since most real race shock companies cut your front strut housing and weld on their own assembly, that shouldn't really be an issue.

Like ThatM20Guy said, whats your end goal here? Are you driving the car hard on race tracks with slick tires? Looking for long travel rally suspension?
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Right, the rears are not an issue.

I am looking for more suspension travel. I am regularly bottoming out the suspension at least once per run, especially in the afternoon when the course starts getting rutted up. I am considering a class change that would allow me to run whatever dampers I want.

I am not sure that just cutting and welding the struts and putting in the RWD suspension would work because aren't the dampers quite a bit longer?

Edit: check it out, my ix was in the Washington DC SCCA newsletter. Page 7.
        Last edited by Kershaw; 12-25-2017, 08:16 AM.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          Right, the rears are not an issue.

I am looking for more suspension travel. I am regularly bottoming out the suspension at least once per run, especially in the afternoon when the course starts getting rutted up. I am considering a class change that would allow me to run whatever dampers I want.

I am not sure that just cutting and welding the struts and putting in the RWD suspension would work because aren't the dampers quite a bit longer?

Edit: check it out, my ix was in the Washington DC SCCA newsletter. Page 7.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n7y...ew?usp=sharing

I did not say to cut and weld to install rwd suspension.
          Look at any quality Motorsport setup (JRZ, Penske, Moton, AST, etc...)
          It’s not a strut insert like a Bilstein or Koni.

I would look at changing your spring rate and length and putting slightly longer dampers on.

Reservoirs are really only for more tuning adjustability and oil cooling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Spring rates would definitely change, I mean... I wouldn't be running the stock size springs anymore anyway. I would probably run 2.25" coils.

Cooling is a benefit, sure, and rallycross is really tough on the suspension. But I doubt the runs are long enough to really make a diference there.

The main benefit that remote reservoir shocks offer the ix is longer suspension travel in the same package. The tuning and adjustability is great too, but getting more travel into the same size is a huge benefit. Especially since I don't want to increase the ride height.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

How does adding external reservoirs give you more suspension travel in the same package...?

Only way to get more suspension travel is to physically fit longer shocks?

Comment

This should explain why pretty quickly.

Also, I just read in the rules that springs need to be the same type and use the original mounting points. So.... this idea is done unless I want to switch up another class and I think that's too much time and money intensive for one winter.

So.. I guess I stick with the Bilstein HDs and add the stiffest shocks I can get? Maybe switch to the Koni SA?
                AWD > RWD

Comment

If you can get custom valved Bilsteins, you could have them set up with progressive valving in order to reduce the chance that you'll bottom out the suspension on big bumps.

Comment

I already emailed both Bilstein and Koni and asked about custom valving for rallycross/rally. I will report back what they say.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

The Koni custom shop can customize valving, but they're usually slammed and have multi-week turnaround times. The Koni valve mechanism is naturally digressive... I don't know how progressive they can make it.

Bilsteins are so simple to revalve that you're better off finding an independent racing shop that does shock valving and working with them.

Comment

You can get shocks the same length (either short or long) with or without remote reservoirs.
                        Reservoirs have no effect on overall potential length of a shock.

Why rules out? Use longer springs, mount them in the original locations (divorced rear, not true coil-over-shock).
                        These cars are not designed for true coilover rear anyways without significant reinforcement to the rear strut towers.

Just don’t max out the allowable angle of your cv joints.

Rallyx is never going to be a long enough run to build up and significant heat that warrants more suspension cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                          The Koni custom shop can customize valving, but they're usually slammed and have multi-week turnaround times. The Koni valve mechanism is naturally digressive... I don't know how progressive they can make it.

Bilsteins are so simple to revalve that you're better off finding an independent racing shop that does shock valving and working with them.
                          I already have Bilstein HDs, so maybe that is the better option.

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                          Why rules out? Use longer springs, mount them in the original locations (divorced rear, not true coil-over-shock).
                          These cars are not designed for true coilover rear anyways without significant reinforcement to the rear strut towers.
                          This was always focused on the front suspension. And it rules it out because I'd have to cut and weld the front strut and add whatever adapter sleeve aftermarket coilovers have. They have their own spring mount, hence, this is not allowed. That said, if you have a longer drop in shock, or any that I can utilize the stock lower spring perch I am all ears.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

The KONI race shock bodies are just over 2" shorter than your Billy HDs will be. So you can get more travel from those if you haven't considered that option already.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              I already have Bilstein HDs, so maybe that is the better option.

This was always focused on the front suspension. And it rules it out because I'd have to cut and weld the front strut and add whatever adapter sleeve aftermarket coilovers have. They have their own spring mount, hence, this is not allowed. That said, if you have a longer drop in shock, or any that I can utilize the stock lower spring perch I am all ears.

Incorrect.
                              It refers to the location of the mount.
                              (Aka converting a divorced spring/shock rear to a true coilover setup.)

It doesn’t refer to where on the Strut the spring perch is.
                              What about cars with factory adjustable coil overs? They can’t have a fixed spring perch.

There might be some sort of point penalty converting to a threaded spring seat, but i have never seen coilovers listed as illegal. Maybe in a bottom of the barrel stock touring class, but then remote reservoirs would absolutely be illegal as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X