No announcement yet.

3SGE BEAMS converted 89 E30///Stock as a rock 88 E30 325i Touring///

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you set/measure R&P backlash? I'm about to re-fresh my med case, and want to swap in a 2.93 R&P.
    My feedback:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
    @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Wow everytime I read this thread I am inspired to do the same to My 318is but with some boost. The beams made great numbers with just 8psi that I think would be perfect in the e30. What's your opinion on the j160? Some say it's like glass. Love all the custom stuff you have done as well.

Comment

djd834:-

The Beams responds well to boost pressures under 10psi. Whilst they can handle that they are weak soon after due to their valves and compression ratio.

Make sure you get the Manual motors however as they have a larger titanium valves and buckets, along with better cam profiles than one from a Automatic.

With regards to the J160:- I don't think they are fragile, although i have a low torque number running through my setup compared to a boosted engine.

Ditch the dual mass and use a Exedy upgraded clutch style instead of an aggressive floating clutch as i have. This gives some shocking harmonics from the gearbox (common on this box) and use the factory shifter not a short shifter as they can make it hard to go down gears at times and they are ok.

They also hate heat and i am currently experiencing this on my second gearbox after 4 or so laps. I could not touch the gearbox with my hand after 1hr last time i was at Wakefield. This was in 40c heat though. Since then i have taken the car to Sandown and experienced the same fault on a day that was 22c.

My exhaust runs very close to the gearbox in the tunnel and is certainly not helping the situation. But we coated the piping in that area in exhaust wrap and covered the gearbox in this area with heat shielding to no avail.

So the game plan is to fit a gearbox oil cooler/pump system and possibly return to the factory shifter.

Fingers crossed!
        Last edited by kameleon; 07-30-2016, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Some photos from the past 7 months or so.

Wakefield in Goulburn NSW:- 40c heat in the peak of Australian summer sure was challenging. Met Kazumasa san from Sonic Boom in Gifu Japan. He drifts SW20 MR2's that you may have seen on Youtube. Sadly he has closed his shop now due to economic downturn in Japan. That bottle is full of power steering fluid that does not like heat and rpm....

Lithium battery i upgraded to. It weighs 1.1KG, over 14kg of weight saving over the BMW AGM i was using...

The tyres were pretty f#cked after Wakefield, and i found some slightly larger 225/50r15 A048's for a steal. Interesting that they are the same width as the 215/50r15 A050's though.

Comment

Sandown racecourse in Melbourne for Toyota Winterfest

Because i used my 16 inch road wheels/tyres 215/40r16 Federals the Sandown outing highlighted some issues that were being masked by the use of the A050's. So the next round of modifications will be focusing on these issues.

Stay tuned...

Comment

Recommend the AD08R's ? How long did they wear out like that? I've always admired them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
              Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
              1967 2002 parts car
              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

JeLani:- I am using A048's currently but was using the A050.

The A050 is far superior to the A048 in many ways and is my favourite semi.

I have driven on the AD08 and AD08R on other cars and do rate them highly for a street tyre however they have nothing on the A050.

Comment

I love your build and I want to do the same in an E30 someday. Do you have any pictures of your swaybar solution?

Comment

Hi Super51fan,

Still need to revise this as i am not happy with what was made in the initial stages of the build. It is difficult to find someone local to tackle this that will not charge $1000 + even though it is a somewhat simple item to build.

Comment

Originally posted by kameleon View Post
                      Hi Super51fan,

Still need to revise this as i am not happy with what was made in the initial stages of the build. It is difficult to find someone local to tackle this that will not charge $1000 + even though it is a somewhat simple item to build.
                      Would a swayback spacer and adjustable endlinks work? I know a lot of guys run that setup for swaps with header fitment issues.
                      Also, are you running stock beams ecu?

Comment

Not at all sadly as the engine and bellhousing are in the way.

Have tried all of that in the past with the current swaybar also. Just a matter of making something right.

Comment

Not at all sadly as the engine and bellhousing are in the way.

Have tried all of that in the past with the current swaybar also. Just a matter of making something right.
                          What is your current swaybar setup? I just reread everything and could not find where you mentioned what you did.
                          The swaybar and exhaust (LHD is going to be a tight squezze) are the only things holding me back from placing an order for the Beams/6speed set up

Comment

I am sure it has been mentioned before....

Anyway custom bar, rewelded dropped mounts, custom links.

But its no good so may as well not bother copying that!

Comment

I am sure it has been mentioned before....

Anyway custom bar, rewelded dropped mounts, custom links.

But its no good so may as well not bother copying that!
                              Thats a bummer that its still not to your liking. I have gotten word from an aftermarket parts company (I don't want to name drop if they don't follow through) will have an E30 in their shop to be custom fitted for 3s (and JZ) mounts and various other conversion parts. Thats some hope they can remedy a solution.

Nevertheless, have you been driving the car much and putting Toyota reliability to the test?

Comment

The car has been complete for about 5 years now. Was my daily driver for a long time too.

Has about 12 trackdays under its belt at various tracks around Australia which is a big place. Driven on many 3,000km roundtrips to be driven very hard in 40C trackdays.

Id say that is reliable?

Comment

Working...
                                X