Reupholstery Costs and information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reupholstery Costs and information

I'd like to get some experiences and information gathered on what the costs have been for people to get their cabrio's interior replaced.

I am currently getting quotes. My particular goals may be a slightly beyond a simple recovering because I'm covering the door panels and tonneau too, but I'd like to know what it has cost or the hours involved for the seats.

PS. I'm aware of things like leatherseats.com and other premade leather sites. Not particularly interested in those stories because the costs are visible and known.

I'm doing something kind of like what Jeffinhiscars did with Alcantar and M-tech cloth. Just with black and not red. I have all the materials already. I'm just trying to find costs. My quotes have been anywhere from the pure insanity of $7500 for labor to $3000. Only three quotes so far. One was the ASM you might have seen in Garage Monkey tv show (the highest quote). Another was by a friend's guy, but he has been recognized by Ferrari as one of the top Ferrari restorers in America, so I expected him to be high. Last was by a guy that I didn't like his work, attitude, or personal presentation. Lots more to go and see, but it all seems high to me. Am I nuts?
    Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
    Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

My oldest brother owns an upholstery shop, here in Southern California. Yes, costs of labor are going to differ, depending on workmanship and it's understandable.
    I'm sure you've heard of the phrase *You get what you pay for*, with that in mind, you want to make sure the people you are going to get quotes from, have some sort of certificate to back the type of money they are charging.
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
      My oldest brother owns an upholstery shop, here in Southern California. Yes, costs of labor are going to differ, depending on workmanship and it's understandable.
      I'm sure you've heard of the phrase *You get what you pay for*, with that in mind, you want to make sure the people you are going to get quotes from, have some sort of certificate to back the type of money they are charging.
      Is it possible to get a job done well in the $1,800-$2,500 range for the labor? Seriously, all I’m looking for. Someone to take my $1500 in materials and apply it for under $2,500.
      Current - 1991 E30 325i Auto Vert, 2013 F30 335i M-sport, 2014 F25 X3 M-sport
      Past - 1986 E30 325es, 1988 E30 M3, 1991 E34 535i 5sp, 1991 E31 850i 6sp, 1992 E36 325i, 1995 E36 M3, 2000 E46 323i, 2009 E60 535i, 2011 E90 335d

Comment

I supplied my own material and paid $900 for labor on my cabrio without the doors. Still, great work and at a fair price.

Markets do vary but the numbers you are getting seem VERY high. Check w John at 9Stitch. He's having interiors shipped for very reasonable amounts.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I can't say what Edwin's bro will quote for labor but his work is good. I can vouch for them and say it's quality work.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Escaport View Post
            Is it possible to get a job done well in the $1,800-$2,500 range for the labor? Seriously, all I’m looking for. Someone to take my $1500 in materials and apply it for under $2,500.
            Possibly, but I think that as a rule of thumb any business wants to make some money on marking up materials.
            It's a business and they need to get paid, so they can keep the doors open. By you bringing materials in, you're undercutting the extra material the shop purchases, in case there's any mistakes and there usually is., no one is perfect.

Comment

Local shop installed my (slightly used) covers on the rear upper and lower seat for $250.
              Just another data point. I would expect to pay more for the fronts as it's more involved.
              1988 325iC SOLD
              1985 524td 49k

Comment

I just had my front and back seats re done in my 88 with real leather (just seats nothing else) with materials, labor, tax and tip I was out the door for 1600. Draw back the guy is really good and cheap, but takes forever. Seats were there for over 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhide3 View Post
                  I just had my front and back seats re done in my 88 with real leather (just seats nothing else) with materials, labor, tax and tip I was out the door for 1600. Draw back the guy is really good and cheap, but takes forever. Seats were there for over 5 months.
                  You're probably about $12-1300 off, had you done that in Southern California on an e30. Time constraints also affect profits, so I can see why it's cheaper than others even though the guy is good.

Comment

Trust me, I know I got off cheap and the seats look awesome. The only problem is my wife is still yelling at me for spending that much although I have told her it was cheap. I live in rural area where cost of living is much lower the Cali..... the best part the guy knows his stuff, pulled up with my hardtop on and he instantly noticed it was an E30 and he commented that he only seen one other hardtop

Comment

Working...
                    X