R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > V8 Swap

Old 09-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Yayrea
Noobie

LS series e30 swap

Random and probably a dumb question, but when im looking for LS swap parts online, majority of stuff is labeled as LS1..

If im looking to do an LS2 or LS 3 swap, will those same LS1 parts fit on the e30 swap or do i need to find specific LS2 or LS3 parts? Obviously the wiring will matter when i get to that point.

Using a z3 steering rack will work with the LS2/3 just like the LS1 right?

Garagistic seems to have all the LS1 parts, just wondering if they are gonna be compatible with the LS2/3.

Thanks

I have a 85 325e that has just recently been gutted, engine and transmission pullled, waiting for the sandblasting shop. Going to take care of all the suspension, brakes and subframes before i go into the engine and transmission swap.
Yayrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #2
Elysian
E30 Addict

Should be fine, I think it's the truck motor that has different mounts from the LS, any actual LS should have the same mounting. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #3
Supadave
E30 Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayrea View Post
Random and probably a dumb question, but when im looking for LS swap parts online, majority of stuff is labeled as LS1..

If im looking to do an LS2 or LS 3 swap, will those same LS1 parts fit on the e30 swap or do i need to find specific LS2 or LS3 parts? Obviously the wiring will matter when i get to that point.

Using a z3 steering rack will work with the LS2/3 just like the LS1 right?

Garagistic seems to have all the LS1 parts, just wondering if they are gonna be compatible with the LS2/3.

Thanks

I have a 85 325e that has just recently been gutted, engine and transmission pullled, waiting for the sandblasting shop. Going to take care of all the suspension, brakes and subframes before i go into the engine and transmission swap.
As far as swap kits go it doesn't matter if its a LS1, LS9 or anything in between. Just be careful if your using a truck block, I've heard they have different mounting points. I've personally myself haven't ran into this problem. I'm using a truck block (LC9) mounts like any other LS engine.

Using a Z rack will be fine.

Here is link to most if not all LS engines available along with their specs and what vehicles they came in http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...to-ls-engines/

S52, OBD I, AA Stage II C38 Supercharger kit with a 80mm pully, AA custom cams, ZF Trans, 3.15 4 clutch diff... and a generous dose of Nitrous. 5.3 LSA build in progress

Last edited by Supadave; 10-01-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typo
Supadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
sgtskid
E30 Addict

All "LS" series engines have the same mounting points (not including front wheel drive versions). The difference lies in the accessories, intakes, heads, etc.
However, the mounting points are different from the older generation "SBC" found pre 97.
1990 Corvette - Weekend toy
1986 353 - Snow White, One Crazy Girl - SOLD
1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

Check us out
sgtskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
pgunna_e30
Noobie

I recently finished my ls2 swap. I used sikky parts for my swap and I also use a z3 rack. This was my first time ever doing anything like this and it wasn't too bad.

I used a wiring specialties pnp harness and they should be running a black sale soon.
pgunna_e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 AM   #6
Pootis
E30 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtskid View Post
All "LS" series engines have the same mounting points (not including front wheel drive versions). The difference lies in the accessories, intakes, heads, etc.
However, the mounting points are different from the older generation "SBC" found pre 97.
This is incorrect. Truck blocks don't have the front mounting holes that the aluminum blocks have.