Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadspark troubles

I had a similar issue with quadspark modules, m3pro and factory m50 coils.i contacted diyautotune and it was determined I had defective qs modules.i received warrantied replacements and the problem continued,I burnt up several coils with both sets of qs modules with what was supposed to be the correct settings.in the end I went to GM ls truck coils and had no further issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dvallis View Post

3. Their comment in the yellow bubble about going low is for MS2 not MSPNP2.
      interesting.. besides MS2PNP having 55 socket internally built in....is there any other differences from MS2?

Comment

MS2PNP is an MS2 pre-assembled with Microsquirt card installed.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
        2002 E39 M5

Comment

MS2PNP is an MS2 pre-assembled with Microsquirt card installed.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...tems-compared/
          that's what I figured....why the difference in setting "going low vs. high"

Comment

MS2 and Microsquirt invert the crank signal differently.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Still doing electrical

Just when you thought electrical was over. Here we are again. Rewiring the ECU and DAQ systems relay control to our key, instead of the IGN toggle.

New quadspark wired and connectorized.

Connector added to main ground runs from the bus bar. Makes putting the bulkhead in and out easier.

Finally, we added a toggle switch to power the shift lights. Don't need them on all the time.

Next time we'll switch the coil and injector protection from a breaker to fast blow fuse. All the breaker types I looked at just didn't have a fast enough break time. Hate using a fuse, but at least it will be replaceable on the panel.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Almost There

Back to the bulkhead. When we fired it up with a bench supply, relay K01 started chattering. Obviously something we did. Points to anyone who can figure it out from the schematic below.

Here's the culprit. We've only got one relay in this configuration. After the main bus (12ALW) is fired up, there is a current sneak path through K01, back through K04 to it's LED bank to ground. This was enough to make K01 pull-in, let go and repeat.

We fixed it with a diode. Blocks the back current but still lets the key switch ground K04 coil and pull in the relay.

Bulkhead finally all rewired and back in shape.

Engine breaker swapped out for a quick blow fuse holder.

Bulkhead ready for full-up testing.

ECU is alive. Whew.

Data acquisition system is alive.

Here's the moment of truth. Coil replaced by a resistor for testing limits current to 10 mA. ECU in test mode and ....... It works. You can see the quadspark firing every 200 ms, grounding the coil for 3 ms. Perfect. We replaced it with a coil, ran the test again and everything was fine.

Hooked up a timing light for the fun of it. Had to crank down the camera shutter rate for the phone to even see it. No need to use a scope for engine testing any more. :devil:

Next time we put the bulkhead and dash back ..... and start the car!
                Last edited by dvallis; 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Getting close!

Comment

Too damn cold to work in our unheated garage this weekend. Ugh. Dying to start this car.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

You pansy I installed a motor this weekend. :P

Comment

LoL. Rob is Solar Powered

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Too damn cold to work in our unheated garage this weekend. Ugh. Dying to start this car.
                          I didn't get a thing done on my E30 this weekend, I can commiserate. Saturday was just downright dreary.

Comment

Fire it up!

Rob's neighbor stopped by and wisecracked "Ya'll gonna fire up the car? I've got lighter fluid and BBQ coals." Ha. We'll see.

Had to go through more bulkhead pain. Re-installing the data acquisition system.

Bulkhead wire management shaping up

Bulkhead finally getting back where it belongs

This thing was getting in the way of installing our dash. It had to go. Rob was ecstatic to get set loose with the saws-all

Had a bit of unfortunate dash rewiring to do. Warning lights were tied to the wrong power rail and turn signals were reversed. No big deal since dash was off anyway.

Dash and bulkhead re-installed.

Getting close now. Adding fuel. This is a jury rig until we get some proper dump cans.

HA! We have fuel! No pressure yet since the pumps are not on.

Started up the low pressure fuel pump. Had a slight leak at the pressure regulator and fixed that. Started the high pressure fuel pump.

Ah Ha! We have fuel pressure at the rail! Just a slight tweak took it back to 45 psi. Still no leaks in the fuel system. Whew. That's a great start. Surge tank pressure is indicating a fault since the sensor is somehow whacked. Had Rob adjust it to the stops both ways but no joy. Not an issue for now.

Injectors and coils power on. This is where we burned the coil last time. Success! No smoke. :devil:

Now the moment of truth. Starting it! Click the picture below for video.

It started!

For about 2 seconds. Woo Hoo! I reviewed the video and saw 800 RPM on the AIM, so I think we got brief ignition and compression. That's fine. We'll take it and declare victory. The rest is diagnostics and fine tuning.

By the way, that's Rob with the maniac laugh. Too funny. :devil:

2002 E39 M5

Comment

It's a terrible thing when the Magic Smoke escapes.

Congratulations!

Comment

I had the same maniacal laugh when my E30 started for the first time

Comment

Working...
                                X