Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY: Replace ball joints on your stock control arms (10ton or greater press required)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Voluted View Post
    It takes quite a bit more time (an hour or two depending on experience) and isn't worth paying some one to do for you. With the price and availability of Meyle HD arms now, I wouldn't bother doing this unless you have the free time and the right equipment.
    I do the work myself but I can change the entire arm quicker than that. So to me its "cheaper" to buy a rebuilt arm.
    Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    ..... Now have you tried changing the joints on Aluminum M3 control arms?...
    Now this would make it worth someones time.
    sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
    The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Originally posted by Boostesi View Post
      You can do this without the hydraulic press if you have the c-clamp style ball joint press kit.

My experience with these kits is that either the threaded rod bends or the "C" part bends before it actually pushes the ball joint out. I think its worth it to use a real press. I also feel like it would be a lot of fun to try to use this on the inner ball joint because of the long stud it has.

Also, there is an arrow on the bottom of the ball joint for alignment purposes. I don't remember which way it is supposed to face though
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I couldn't imagine trying to do it with the C-clamp press. When I did mine I'd say my 12-ton press BARELY was able to pop it out. I was standing around a corner while pumping, the whole assembly was so loaded up.

But they finally popped out. Putting in the new ones was much easier :)

Moog FTW

Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop
        visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

wow glad I found this thread. I think Ill be doing this in the near future...it seems like a waste to throwout OE control arms.
          Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Even the balljoints that autozone carry are actually manufactured by moog. so its pretty cheap and easy to get through them. I changed my joints with the proper size press sleeves and a 2 lb mini sledge. Just have a buddy hold it and whack the crap outta it. Worked fine and took 30~45 min to swap the joints.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              My experience with these kits is that either the threaded rod bends or the "C" part bends before it actually pushes the ball joint out. I think its worth it to use a real press. I also feel like it would be a lot of fun to try to use this on the inner ball joint because of the long stud it has.

Also, there is an arrow on the bottom of the ball joint for alignment purposes. I don't remember which way it is supposed to face though
              That's because they are cheap made in china c clamps (Harbor freight brands etc...) heck even the OTC ball joint press over time ended up stripping out however the c-clamp didn't bend

I've had no issues with my current ball joint press which is a snap On BJP1 http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all the thing is a beast and even if any of the adapters or threaded rod/clamp were to strip/bend they are warrantied which is surprising considering its a wear and tear item OTC wouldn't do that.

Heck I now its expensive and not worth it for a DIYER but its a nice tool that would pay for itself I usually see them pop up on craigslist and ebay for around $450 in good used condition

Comment

Originally posted by IveGotIssues666 View Post
                That's because they are cheap made in china c clamps (Harbor freight brands etc...) heck even the OTC ball joint press over time ended up stripping out however the c-clamp didn't bend

I've had no issues with my current ball joint press which is a snap On BJP1 http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all the thing is a beast and even if any of the adapters or threaded rod/clamp were to strip/bend they are warrantied which is surprising considering its a wear and tear item OTC wouldn't do that.

Heck I now its expensive and not worth it for a DIYER but its a nice tool that would pay for itself I usually see them pop up on craigslist and ebay for around $450 in good used condition
                You can rent these kits from advanced auto for free.

The 12 ton press from Harbor Freight is like $104 with a coupon. Easily resold too.
                Haven't you ever seen Russian Nesting Dolls? They work like that.

1987 325e / 2008 135i

Comment

I wouldn't do this with standard caster CAs since they are so cheap, but it's a good idea to replace the joints on used lemfoerder 96+ e36 m3 CA's. Those cannot be had in new condition for cheap.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                  PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by Boostesi View Post
                    You can do this without the hydraulic press if you have the c-clamp style ball joint press kit.

I rented a ball joint press like this from pepboys.
                    All I needed was a breaker bar and socket to push out the ball joint.
                    Requires a lot of thinking knowing where to put socket and the cups.
                    But you can do it yourself without a shop press.

Comment

Just did all four of my ball joints this weekend with a 20 ton press, took maybe 15 min to press the old ones out and the new ones in. Very easy!

Comment

Easier to replace the whole control arm along with the CAB's while your at it honestly... Unless you have access to a dope ass friend with a press. In which case, more power to you.

BLUE NOSE - M62 SWAP

THE E30 + 1 BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by lowsodium View Post
                          You can rent these kits from advanced auto for free.
                          Yeah one of those cheap OEM Brand Kits... guess what the clamp bends (Can you say Made in China) just like the cheap Harbor Freight ones I would stay clear (Not the Hydraulic Press but the Ball Joint Press Kits they have)

Comment

what'd you guys all use for replacement ball joints?
                            1991 318is ---230K - DD
                            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                              Amazon Prime has Lemforder

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                                Moog

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
                                X