Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for buying race seat

Hi guys.

I have an 87' 325is that I am starting to use mainly for track days.
    I'd like to buy a race seat for the driver, and looking at the OMP WRC-r. (it fits me, feels nice. etc.)

My question is, can I just install the seat, and use my existing 3point seatbelt?
    Or do I have to go to a 5point system then?

Thanks!

Welcome to R3vlimited!

I think that on a seat with low side bolsters that a 3 point stock belt will pass tech. The OMP WRC-R seems to have pretty high side bolsters, so if you use the 3 point stock belts, the lap belt will ride pretty high on your hips or into your abdomen, which is dangerous in the event of a crash.

Whomever you're tracking with may or may not pass you depending on how lenient they are. However, just from a safety standpoint, it may be a bit dangerous if you crash.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

(copied and pasted from this thread)

This is my $0.02. You'll get 10 different answers from 10 different people.

E30 sport seats and stock seat belts are a good way to stay when you are dipping your toes into track and autocross. 4 point harnesses are typically frowned upon or not allowed at all on the track due to submarining issues. Same applies to simple bolt-in harness bars (as opposed to a 4 point roll bar, bolt-in or not). You'll see 4 point harnesses more often at autocross, since the speeds are lower and more people are using straight up street cars with stock seats that cannot accommodate an anti-sub belt (5 or 6 point harness).

The stock seats and 3 point belts are designed as part of a system that allows your body to move out of the way in the event of the roof crushing in on you. A fixed back seat doesn't usually play well with a stock 3 point belt. A harness needs a roll bar to be mounted properly. A harness and fixed back seat keep you sitting straight up and down in the event of a roll over. See where I'm going with this?

Think of it all as a system. If you are just getting started, start out with sport seats and stock belts. Perhaps do a reclinable aftermarket seat (Recaro SRD style) with the stock belts. Then, if you continue doing track & autocross events, cross the line of wanting/needing more safety equipment.

When I got more serious doing track days and autocrossing regularly, and started looking into safety equipment, I came to the conclusion that for me, it's an all or nothing thing. So I did fixed back seats, 6 point harnesses, and a 4 point roll bar all at the same time. I bought a HANS too. My E30 is not a daily driver, so the decision was easier for me. Rear and side visibility definitely sucks now. So that's something else to consider if you drive the car on the street.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I would recommend a halo seat, 4-point roll bar, 6-point seat belt and hans. I really liked my OMP HTE-R. I used this setup when I went more regularly to track days.

Comment

Thanks guys for the thoughts.

This isn't a daily driver, but it is a 2nd car that my wife needs to drive on occasion, and possibly hold backseat passengers, although that's negotiable.

I think Fred's point about the existing 3point seat not playing safely with the WRC-r is what I needed to hear. The stock sport seats are quite nice, but the drivers side bolsters are falling apart. So it's fix the stock seat, or get one that plays with track AND existing seatbelt system.

I wouldn't go 4 point harness.

Comment

Welcome!

Biggest factor in deciding on a track day seat is weather or not it reclines and/or you have a roll bar. You really shouldn't have fixed back seats without roll over protection. Folding seats are designed to collapse in the event of a roll over.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I just got a Sparco Ergo seat with removable Halo sides, nice protection on the track but removable if you need to drive on the street.
              sigpic
              1991 318is S52
              1987 325i Vert
              1991 325i
              2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Spec_E30 View Post
                I would recommend a halo seat, 4-point roll bar, 6-point seat belt and hans. I really liked my OMP HTE-R. I used this setup when I went more regularly to track days.

This...
                NASA
                BMWCCA member
                PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                1997 M3 sedan
                2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by GThomas View Post
                  I just got a Sparco Ergo seat with removable Halo sides, nice protection on the track but removable if you need to drive on the street.
                  This - plus the roll bar, harnesses, HANS.
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                    This - plus the roll bar, harnesses, HANS.
                    Yeah, don't try to do half and half, its not going to be safe.
                    sigpic
                    1991 318is S52
                    1987 325i Vert
                    1991 325i
                    2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

An aftermarket reclining/folding sport seat is good alternative if you want to access the back seat and use the stock belts. I have a Sparco Torino and it provides much more lateral support for your torso than the stock 'sport' seats. It's quite comfortable too.
                      You'll need an adapter to mount it and a slider if you want fore/aft adjustment.

Comment

Hmmmm.. what about that gorilla tape? That stuff is strong. Cheap too.

kidding. I'll look for replacement stock seat for a bit. =)

Comment

Go to a track day and test peoples seats. It’s the only way you’ll get to try a bunch of options. Good luck.

Comment

I had good luck with a Recaro SRD and a CG-lock, held me well in place with 3-pt belt. Got a lower mount with slider that gave more head room even with helmet on. Easy to get in/out as a street car with no bars for anyone to bang their head into / still had backseat passengers. I also had another cloth Recaro for the passenger / instructor.

The racecar has a full cage, harness & HANS, fixed back seat... but also only sees the track.

I'll eventually put in a roll bar, fixed backs, and harnesses for my M3 but will be sure the factory belt will work for when I'd still drive it on the street occasionally at that point.

Comment

Working...
                            X