Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you rallycross an automatic 325IX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you rallycross an automatic 325IX?

I've been considering giving rallycross a try in the near future. My 325IX is being neglected and needs purpose, I do keep it well maintained but it is showing its age and has taken some beatings these past few winters (salt, rust and all that fun stuff that comes with living in the northeast).
    There was a time when I considered selling it but haven't brought myself to do it and I'd rather enjoy the car.
    Does the transmission really matter?

:thankyou:

Have a go and you be the judge. Youve already got the car, whats there to lose.

I personally would never buy an auto e30, let alone race one:)

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
      Have a go and you be the judge. Youve already got the car, whats there to lose.

I personally would never buy an auto e30, let alone race one:)
      My first 325IX was a 5-speed, the automatic was not my first choice. I bought the automatic during my recovery period after tearing the meniscus in my left knee so I could not drive a manual transmission. Fast forward a few years later and the 5-speed was sold (and soon totalled by the friend who bought it ).
      Other cars and projects came and went and I stopped driving the 325IX a while back and its been sitting outside not doing much.

Comment

The auto will steal a lot of the limited life that the M20 has. It will also take a lot of the fun out of driving it.

But, you already have it. Fuck it. Go thrash it and see how it goes!
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Run what you brung:D

Comment

Autocross the sh*t outta that thing and do a 5-spd swap when you blow up the trans. Racing is always better than looking at the car in the driveway.

I've seen people get squeamish about autocrossing without the 'right' tires and so on, but when I autocross, I use - literally - 10-year-old, bald snow tires because that's what I have when the rally tires aren't on there.

Adjust your driving to conditions and have at it. The goal is fun. No matter what configuration your E30 is, auto/manual, RWD/AWD, etc., you're gonna have fun.

Just put a little extra pressure in your rubbers and mat the gas!
            www.slapdashracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by SlapDash View Post
              Autocross the sh*t outta that thing and do a 5-spd swap when you blow up the trans. Racing is always better than looking at the car in the driveway.

I've seen people get squeamish about autocrossing without the 'right' tires and so on, but when I autocross, I use - literally - 10-year-old, bald snow tires because that's what I have when the rally tires aren't on there.

Adjust your driving to conditions and have at it. The goal is fun. No matter what configuration your E30 is, auto/manual, RWD/AWD, etc., you're gonna have fun.

Just put a little extra pressure in your rubbers and mat the gas!
              I was guilty of that when I was involved with auto-x with my e36. Then I found myself putting more time into building the car than actually being in the seat and gaining experience.
              A family friend of ours is involved with rallycross and does some ice racing in upstate NY, I've been speaking with him regarding the hobby and the initial costs. Thus far it also sounds like rallycross is less expensive than auto-x and track days/HPDE's.

Comment

Working...
              X