Alternator function with no cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator function with no cluster

Helping a friend with a race car that has the dash & gauge cluster (aka combi meter) deleted. What wires need jumpering so the alternator continues to work properly?
    Jeremy Lucas
    FastTechLimited.com Race Technology, AIM, Race-Keeper, DriftBox/PerfomanceBox, Aplinestar, Schroth, etc...
    1991 SpecE30 #53
    2001 325iT

You need to reference the BMW Electronic Trouble Shooting Manual, but the wire that goes to the cluster alternator light is the one you're after. Close that circuit and you should be good to hook. That's what I've heard from a few sources, and naturally, I only know because my car ran like crap when I had my cluster out while I waited on a part for it.
    Paynemw
    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

pin 1 on the c101 is the wire you're after it is the excitor wire for the alternator. It goes to the cluster light in parallel with a resistor to igntion switch supplying 12v. I think you can just add igntion power to the excitor wire (D+) on the alternator or pin 1 on the c101 to get it work, you might need to add a resistor but I don't know for sure. Hopefully that helps.
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

If it were me i would put the alternator light back in (just needs to be a bulb, NOT an LED), its the resistance of the bulb that excites the alternator.

Comment

Working...
        X