No announcement yet.

DIY - Euro Ellipsoid Headlight Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that pic is from my writeup. I drilled a second hole up close to the relay, wrapped the wire, and soldered it. I currently have the late model relay in and the wire jump below but that worked for a long time with no troubles.
    Im now E30less.
    sigpic

Comment

I followed your directions James and my high beams arent working at all. My city lights work but my low's only work when I turn the high beams on. The highs dont work at all. The city lights stay on when the low are on (with the high beam lever on ). Does anybody have any idea what I did wrong?

Comment

you wired your lowbeams wrong. stock sealed lowbeams are dual filament, they have a high and low built in, and each has it's own wire. you just used the wrong one. I think there are 2 grounds and 2 power wires, just figure out which one is for the lows and which is for the highs and rewire it. you wired your city lights to the sidemakers correct?
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

if i'm not mistaken, it's 2 wires for the low, 1 goes for when just low beams and the other is when the highs are on. there is only 1 ground which is the brown wire usually. just switch the wires.
          the city lights wire to the side markers (i see you have the euro trim) so you will need to find the wire for it.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Yes I have wired the city lights to the sidemarker lights and they work fine. When I was wiring the lows I tested to see which wire was giving me 12 volts of current and I used that wire. On the highs there was two wires but the power wire had two different wires running into the same connector so I just spliced them together soldered the two wires to the one connector. Im thinking maybe that can be my problem. I would love to think that the lows are done correcty because I used the wires that were bring in 12 volts of current. What do you think? Could the way I have the highs wired be tricking my lows?

Comment

Originally posted by nando
              you wired your lowbeams wrong. stock sealed lowbeams are dual filament, they have a high and low built in, and each has it's own wire. you just used the wrong one. I think there are 2 grounds and 2 power wires, just figure out which one is for the lows and which is for the highs and rewire it. you wired your city lights to the sidemakers correct?
              sorry, OT: one of my lowbeams is out, but when I switch on the brights, it works. That just means the low beam filiment is fried and I just need a replacement bulb, no messed up relays or anything?

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver
                Thanks for the help guys. Yes I have wired the city lights to the sidemarker lights and they work fine. When I was wiring the lows I tested to see which wire was giving me 12 volts of current and I used that wire. On the highs there was two wires but the power wire had two different wires running into the same connector so I just spliced them together soldered the two wires to the one connector. Im thinking maybe that can be my problem. I would love to think that the lows are done correcty because I used the wires that were bring in 12 volts of current. What do you think? Could the way I have the highs wired be tricking my lows?
                i'm pretty sure its the wire you soldered together that could be messing it up. when i did mine i never put 2 wires to one. atleast i'm pretty darn sure i don't think so.

Originally posted by E30 Wagen
                sorry, OT: one of my lowbeams is out, but when I switch on the brights, it works. That just means the low beam filiment is fried and I just need a replacement bulb, no messed up relays or anything?
                if your running sealed beams then yes.
                if you have euro ellips then i don't even think that is possible. check your connections to the light and if you made the bypass thing to have your lows on with your highs, check there too. it may also be a fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by King Luis
                  i'm pretty sure its the wire you soldered together that could be messing it up. when i did mine i never put 2 wires to one. atleast i'm pretty darn sure i don't think so.

if your running sealed beams then yes.
                  if you have euro ellips then i don't even think that is possible. check your connections to the light and if you made the bypass thing to have your lows on with your highs, check there too. it may also be a fuse.
                  Thanks man. Im gonna try to rewire them with out the wire spliced together.

Comment

Now there not working at all??????

Comment

ok guys ive got one more question to bring back this old thread. ok so im gonna be hookin up some euro elips to my stock wiring, since i have us ellips this is no big deal and i dont have any questions for this, BUT for the citi light, i have my sidemarkers hooked up to my turn signals so they blink, i dont want my citi lights to blink, how do i do this, thanks
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

yeah, I would like to know what a good source for always on (when the car is on of course) to run to the city lights

Comment

Originally posted by e304me
                          yeah, I would like to know what a good source for always on (when the car is on of course) to run to the city lights
                          Sidemarker lights.

Comment

I dont think that will do it. I want them on whenever the car is on

Comment

Originally posted by e304me
                              I dont think that will do it. I want them on whenever the car is on
                              So you pull the knob out one click

Comment

I'd rather not. that would just be stupid to do everytime when i just wire it how i want to. Not to mention i would probably leaving the lights on all the time when its light out

Comment

Working...
                                X