Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very loud tick after valve adjust? Sewing machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very loud tick after valve adjust? Sewing machine?

She sound like a sewing machine after I did a valve alignment. 1985 318i, what do you guys think? It's audible from the garage to my room.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I think you made an error.

.007 lash at the adjuster? Cold?

If the lash hasn't been done in a long time, the adjusters will
    have flat spots.
    When you then adjust them, the flat spots will turn into angles,
    and those tend to be noisy. They also tend to slip and open up.
    The fix is new eccentrics- they were
    pretty cheap last I looked.

I'd suggest you check what the lash is now, and see if you find anything amiss.

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
      I think you made an error.

.007 lash at the adjuster? Cold?

If the lash hasn't been done in a long time, the adjusters will
      have flat spots.
      When you then adjust them, the flat spots will turn into angles,
      and those tend to be noisy. They also tend to slip and open up.
      The fix is new eccentrics- they were
      pretty cheap last I looked.

I'd suggest you check what the lash is now, and see if you find anything amiss.

hth

t
      Yes turns out one valves was to tight and 2 we're to loose , I redid the valve adjust one valve at a time back and forth. There are no flat spots actually I just made sure the spring was fully unloaded so I knew the flat spot was there, but they are a little rounded, but I still managed and now it's much quieter, I used .008 boss. It sound quieter but the tick is noticeble very slightly. Not louder than the exhaust like last time. She drives great and went to redline to. How do I know if I did good or bad?

Comment

Quieter= You did good!

Slight noise is pretty normal-

you can always try .007 and see if it helps.

well done!

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Quieter= You did good!

Slight noise is pretty normal-

you can always try .007 and see if it helps.

well done!

t
          Thank you boss. This car is going to stay with me for life. Im in love and have been since I was a little kid. Can you guide me to ways I can make her last? I try to drive as slow as possible when accelerating hoping to not blow the motor , I drive on 3 gear under 20mph, im afraid of her going kaput since she's 30 years old. But I felt some confidence in seeing all her nuts and bolts weren't stripped. 30 year old German metal is amazing compared to my newer Toyota. I've tooken her to redline 5 times so far for some seafoam cleaning and a couple of hard shifts and that's it. I instantly regretted it. Of course before doing so the Motor oil, transmission, and finaldrive oils were all changed .

I really love this car and want her to last forever. I've put 300 miles of highway so far and loved every second. She does 75mph at 35mpg wate can I do besides going 0-60 in 20 seconds to make her never stop runnning?

Comment

Other than change the oil every 3-5k miles, trans and diff every 30k,
            and coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, just drive it.

It's a car. In fact, it'a a BMW- you can drive it pretty hard and it'll like it. The M10 is a
            stout engine- once it's up to temp, no need to baby it at all.

Parts always wear out, and can be repaired, fixed, replaced. But the car itself is very durable.

t

Comment

Other than change the oil every 3-5k miles, trans and diff every 30k,
              and coolant and brake fluid every 2 years, just drive it.

It's a car. In fact, it'a a BMW- you can drive it pretty hard and it'll like it. The M10 is a
              stout engine- once it's up to temp, no need to baby it at all.

Parts always wear out, and can be repaired, fixed, replaced. But the car itself is very durable.

t
              Your awesome thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X