fuel filter buzzing noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel filter buzzing noise

hi guys, i had a long drive 2 days ago, when i arrived home i parked my car outside but engine still running. when i opened the door i heard a loud buzzing noise somewhere around the fuel filter. i went over to the rear passenger side where the fuel pump located to hear if it's buzzing but didn't hear anything. my question is, is my fuel filter clogged up? or my fuel pump is failing?

i drove my car yesterday and today and i didn't hear the buzzing noise again...

what do you think guys? tia
    Last edited by harold30; 04-09-2012, 06:58 PM.

I don't know but on two different occasions last week when I started my car in shopping center parking lots (so it was already warm from driving to the store) I heard a grinding or gurgling / swooshing sound from that area immediately after starting. I thought someone was dragging something in the parking lot behind me at first.

Mechanic asked me if I was hearing strange sounds when not in the car? Or seeing things no one else saw?

Comment

any inputs from the experts? tia

Comment

Old E30 fuel pump has been known to whine loudy when the gas tank is only about 1/3 full. Mine actually sounded like a jet about to take off when the needle was on the last mark before E (pump was pefectly quiet with a full tank). It might be time to replace your fuel pump.

Comment

Ok, i checked realoem.com and found out that there are 2 fuel pumps in my car. one in tank and one inline. i have 89 325i: here's the part # 16141179232. can somebody please confirm if the car indeed has 2 fuel pumps? If yes, probably the inline pump causing the buzzing sound...

Comment

my bad, there's only one fuel pump for 89 325i and it's an in tank one. probably my fuel filter get clogged up. will change it first and see how it goes... thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by harold30 View Post
              my bad, there's only one fuel pump for 89 325i and it's an in tank one. probably my fuel filter get clogged up. will change it first and see how it goes... thanks!
              I’m seemingly having this buzzing fuel filter also. How’d it go?

I first started hearing it a couple weeks ago. It’s still intermittent but becoming more frequent. I looked under the car where the filter is and noticed what looks like an inline pump located above the filter. I now have an early 87 325es. Not sure if it had an inline but it looks like it might. Guess I need to verify and then replace the cheaper one first. Guessing filter. Unless there’s an easier way to figure out which one is buzzing? Suggestions?
              Last edited by cornchip; 03-26-2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I have been chasing a fuel issue on my 87 325e and feel like I can help you out. My best guess would be that you have a failing fuel pump.

The e30 switched from a dual pump setup to a single late in 1987 (anyone please correct me if I am wrong), so the first place to start is determining what fuel pump setup you have.

This video is a decent reference on where to look for a dual pump setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYZV0FEkTpM

You could jump the fuel pump relay and listen to the pump. This is a link to a pic showing how to jump the fuel pump (may want to double check the wiring to be sure the picture is correct): https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...93&postcount=6
                Last edited by jbontke; 03-28-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

did you verify if it was one single pump or dual, one in tank and one inline? I have an 89 325i manufactured 8/88 and it has an inline pump also. I looked around a bit and this seems strange as it was up to 9/87 they had them. just curious?

Comment

can anyone that has seen this chime in purely for clarification? ^^

Comment

Working...
                    X